Old 02-10-2018, 05:21   #30 (permalink)
BillA
No Life Poster

Member: 92260
Thanks Meter: 843
RMM lock + MDM security

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthepings View Post
The phone had become largely usable so I gave up at this point. If you make more progress, don't forget to share with the community. I'm not an Android Developer and also do not have access to any Flasher Boxes. It took me quite a while to figure this out and to write this tutorial, so do give me credit if I have helped you. Good luck.

First, thanks for the info... a while ago I did a writeup about the new RMM security, and after reading your info it seems that RMM has two uses, first as a stock system protection, and second in conjunction with MDM security policy (as in your case).

The one I'm more familiar with is stock system protection when OEM-Unlock is not enabled, it prevents flashing of any custom binaries including eng-boot etc. A possible solution to disable the RMM lock against future updates (only if it's NOT already tripped) can be found here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...5&postcount=22

When combined with MDM, it makes the situation even worse, since it restricts both custom binary flashing and also the ability to enable OEM-Unlock. It's a nasty bugger for sure. Supposedly the RMM lock (without MDM) expires after 7 days of the phone being turned ON and never turned off, basically a 7 day phone jail before being able to flash custom binary again. Boooo!!

For now it seems to affect higher end devices starting with the January 2018 updates, but one should be weary with any device going forward.
A sign of RMM is the presence of the folder /system/priv-app/RLC.
Fun times ahead guys, especially for those who are carelessly just flash away without disabling RMM first.
So, who's ready to go to a 7-day JAIL?! lol

Last edited by BillA; 02-10-2018 at 05:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillA For This Useful Post:

Page generated in 0.08795 seconds with 7 queries