View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 21:19   #24 (permalink)
cgordon
Crazy Poster

Member: 2466640
Thanks Meter: 18
Series 3 42mm GPS (not LTE)

Watch arrived with broken digitizer glass. Removed the Light Sensor from the broken Display and transplanted it onto a S2 Display. Installed the Frankenstein-ed Display and everything works except Force Touch. Tried the original S3 Display and Force Touch works. I know that the Force Touch sensor is not part of the Display so I think this is another example of firmware compatibility issues, so I decide to re-flash the Watch with the Frankenstein Display installed.

Reflashed using iBus S2 + MFC and now Force Touch works!

So it looks like, provisionally, S2 Displays can be used to repair S3 Watches.

I have NOT tested NFC. The NFC hardware is part of the Light Sensor assembly and there are two solder points under this assembly; I expect these are probably connections for the NFC antenna. I'll have to figure out how to solder them to the transplanted module.

I've seen some reports, all old, that the LTE antenna is integrated into the S3 Display. I think this might not be the case, for a couple of reasons: First, the antenna assembly in the S3/GPS model looks very different from the antenna assembly in the S3/LTE. Second, I don't see anything that looks like RF cabling or connectors between the mainboard and the Display on S3/LTE Watches..
The Following User Says Thank You to cgordon For This Useful Post:

Page generated in 0.09953 seconds with 8 queries