View Single Post
Old 02-28-2001, 19:14   #1 (permalink)
Prodigal
Freak Poster

Member: 1456
Thanks Meter: 0
Lightbulb Repaired dead phone without backup

Hi all.

I just want to share with you what happened, and how I fixed it, and maybe it will work for you if you ever need to.
I do not know whether this method of reviving a dead phone (when no backup is available) is common knowledge, but I am new to this, so thought I would share the experience with others. Please excuse me if everyone knows about this.

I have problems backing up a flash, so I keep trying different methods to see if I finally get the backup process correct. I use my new 6210 v 4.08 as a trial phone.
I used a newer shell I had never used before, and thought I have clicked on ‘backup’, but obviously had not. The flasher opened, and asked for a start address and I left it at the default 00200000. I then hit enter and it then asked for cable connection and to hit enter. I thought it strange it did not ask for an end address (as usually when reading it does), but thought that it might just be way the newer shell operated as I had never used it before.

So, the software then loaded the boot loader, and I walked away from my PC expecting the process to take a minute or two. All of a sudden, ‘Error erasing flash!’
Oh my....I thought, and grabbed the phone, and well, well...phone is DEAD!
After a lot of panic, I realised I had no backup of my flash (the whole problem to begin with). Reality sunk in that my phone was now dead, and I would have to go to Nokia Customer care and say ‘I don’t know-it just stopped working?!’ (it’s under warranty).
Then I thought of a plan........I took a FULL Nokia 6210 v 4.08 flash (downloaded from Fatum’s site), and opened it up with my HexEdit v1.2.

What I thought was, if there was an ‘Error erasing flash!’, then I presume that the flash had just begun to erase (therefore phone is dead) and then the error occured, stopping the program. So, I copied the first part of the FULL flash file I hexedit (from 00 0000 and stopped at 00 0FF0 address format in hexedit– just before 00 1000) thinking that this would be address 00200000 – 00210000 in the phone.
I then created the .fls file of that extract of the full flash, and flashed my phone. Process went 100%
I then with eager anticipation and heart pounding tried to turn my phone on.......and she lit up like a Christmas tree!!!! I waited with for a reception/signal, and up she came! Phone is 100%%%
Works 100% for all functions.

I do not know whether this method of reviving a dead phone (when no backup is available) is common knowledge, but I am new to this, so thought I would share the experience with others. Please excuse me if everyone knows about this.
Maybe wring address entries etc can be repaired in this way.....

Regards

Dominic / Prodigal

Page generated in 0.11666 seconds with 7 queries