View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 19:58   #5 (permalink)
Scotsman828

Member: 732722
Thanks Meter: 3
So here is the process that I've gone through with this phone. Originally wanted to unlock the SIM so I could use it in my other GSM phones, but from all the reading I've done, the only way to unlock the SIM card is to get the code from America Movil since the SIM App generates a random # that America Movil will use to generate an Unlock Code. I'm sure that the SIM can be unlocked but convincing them to unlock it would be a waste of your time.
So I changed course and wanted to see if I could unlock the LG900G from it's network lock. I searched for days for the right code that would get me to the USIM unlock screen. Appearently that is something that America Movil has also disabled. The only code that I could get to work was the 1809#*900# code that gets you to the TEST MENU, ENGINEERING MENU, AND FACTORY RESET. Played with those setting in an attempt to get the USB UART modem to communicate to no success. Getting access to the TEST MENU really wasn't any help.
I decided to make a sacrifice and flashed the phone to a GW300AT unlocked/unbranded OEM firmware. BIG MISTAKE!
Here's why: The Tracfone firmware has the proprietary software that the SIM uses. Basically this is a security software that uses an encrypted algorithm that opens the SIM to allow network access. This software also bonds the SIM to the phone, so it cannot be used in any other Tracfones. It's the same process the Directv and Dish Network use to bond the Access cards to the receiver.
The phone rejected the NET10 SIM just like my other SIMs. Which is kinda strange since an AT&T phone locked with a network lock will work with any AT&T SIM. You'd naturally think that the phone would still accept the NET10 SIM since the network lock is America Movil. But appearently the lock works with the America Movil software built into the firmware. That software is like an octopus with it's tentacles reaching into all functions of the firmware.
Now that the phone has the GW300AT firmware, I have been able to use the code 2945#*71001# to get into the network lock, but unfortunately I couldn't find a free code generator that actually works. So I bought the unlock code from cellunlocker.net, got the code today, entered the code, now it's fully unlocked. I wasn't holding my breath that the NET10 SIM would actually work. The phone actually did boot completely, but the SIM is doing it's usual thing of blocking the network signal and only allowing the Emergincy Calls. So without that encrypted code that the America Movil Security Software opening the SIM, there will never be any network access unless I make a call to America Movil CS and beg for the SIM unlock code, which in my opinion would be impossible.
So there's my adventure boys and girls. Hope this helps all those with the question
"Is there a way to unlock Tracfone/NET 10 phones or SIM cards?"
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotsman828 For This Useful Post:

Page generated in 0.08605 seconds with 7 queries