GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 02:05   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2447913
Thanks Meter: 0
Any chance of saving water damaged phone 7 plus with replacement phone parts

Ok so here's the situation, My parents went off for a weeks vacation, they left the keys to the brand new Porsche.... wait, wrong situation... actually I let my kids play with my phone is the pool as I've done a few times already. Never had an issue since they'd always done it in a less then 6ft pool. but this time they're cousin took it to the 9ft side, and I think that depth pressure was just to much for the screens to keep water out. Long story short, you guessed it, it died. first the screen wouldn't respond, then the phone shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I took it to apple and they confirmed that there was water on the inside, so of course they don't cover that. strangely enough, when I got my phone back they forgot to put the two screws on either side of the charging port back in, so I was able to open it up at home and let it dry. but still no luck.

Here's the question. I had insurance and I"m getting my new phone tomorrow, I want to try and save the videos that my kids took in the pool, which didn't have a chance to get backed up. Is there any chance of using parts from my replacement phone to try and resurrect my old phone? at least enough to get the pictures and videos off of it, or is it the actual main board that is probably screwed up?

In case anybody is wondering, the reason I want these pictures is because my boys got to see they're cousin that they may never get to see again. So these pictures are important to them and myself.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:59   #2 (permalink)

What are the chances that the main board is whats dead vs another component that is preventing it from booting?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:50   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2691507
Thanks Meter: 100
Donate money to this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrenshaw View Post
Ok so here's the situation, My parents went off for a weeks vacation, they left the keys to the brand new Porsche.... wait, wrong situation... actually I let my kids play with my phone is the pool
Here's the question. I had insurance and I"m getting my new phone tomorrow, I want to try and save the videos that my kids took in the pool, which didn't have a chance to get backed up. Is there any chance of using parts from my replacement phone to try and resurrect my old phone? at least enough to get the pictures and videos off of it, or is it the actual main board that is probably screwed up?

In case anybody is wondering, the reason I want these pictures is because my boys got to see they're cousin that they may never get to see again. So these pictures are important to them and myself.

there are some good repair shop out there that specialized in data recovery, as long as you have the password for the phone.
For data recovery they don't need to have a 100% working phone...
So yes it is possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to cisco2017 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2017 View Post
there are some good repair shop out there that specialized in data recovery, as long as you have the password for the phone.
For data recovery they don't need to have a 100% working phone...
So yes it is possible.
So as much as I hate to say this, and as much as I want the videos and pictures, I'm working on a very tight budget, especially after paying the deductible to get my new phone. Do you think it's possible for me to do it myself? I've done extensive repairs to iphones from replacing the screen of an iphone 4, screen replacement of ipad 2, repairing the buttons and other part replacements of iphone 5 and 6s. My current career includes very detailed work on small things like this, so opening these up and all that doesn't scare me. Do you think getting the old one working enough to back it up would require more then just the parts from my new phone?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:47   #5 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2724771
Thanks Meter: 12
Hello fellow. I lately have the same issue. I have followed this tutorial, you need to perform a few steps which help you to repair any phone with water damaged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_R1VspYnRo
Old 09-21-2017, 02:52   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsoon View Post
Hello fellow. I lately have the same issue. I have followed this tutorial, you need to perform a few steps which help you to repair any phone with water damaged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_R1VspYnRo
This doesn't look like something I can do at home though since I don't have an ultrasonic clear.