GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Product Support Sections > Hard/Software Products (official support) > Uni-Android Tool - UAT PRO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 19:21   #1 (permalink)

Member: 700284
Thanks Meter: 2
Need help trying to repair IMEI for Zenfone 3 laser

Good day room.

I'm trying to fix my dad's Zenfone 3 Laser (zc551kl, z001bdc) that suddenly lost its IMEIs one day (blank, it seems an older update had this bug but this phone had a newer firmware than that).

This is a resume of how I finally managed to set the IMEIs:

* Got the eng fw from support area (via the .bat file inside), used one of the options to unlock bl (the asus program failed to work, as the phone had no imeis)
* Updated to fw 32.40.106.79 user raw from support area (via the .bat file inside).
* Installed twrp
* Installed lattest Magisk zip (v19) directly via twrp

Now I finally had root.

So, I used repair on the Qualcomm tab. I tried several methods and found out that:

A) Starting diag with either generic QC method or QC Asus method on Qualcomm tab makes the phone disconnect and I need to reboot it to reconnect, no new device is detected on windows. The only way to switch diag mode on is on the Boot tab, using the new "Asus diagnostic mode" boot.

B) Both the Nv Ram and EFS methods for repairing IMEI work, they show success (more on this next). QCN and New Security methods fail, New Security fails all three writes (the first imei 1 write and then the second imei 1 write and imei 2 write).

So now after the Nv Ram/efs repairs, the phone does show both imeis alright under *#06# BUT it still won't connect to the provider (the same chip and provider that was being used before the imeis dissapeared, the sims were tested in another device).

I've read in the forum here somewhere that I had to wipe the security, but under the Asus tab Backuping the Security (required as a safety meassure before wiping) fails to read/backup in BOTH adb (with root) and EDL modes. And fastboot only allows to wipe but not to backup.

Is there any suggestion you'd give me?

Right now I'm in linux (same computer) finishing several processes, if you require any of the screenshots I'll provide them, but it'll take me a while as I need to finish several things before rebooting to windows (Oh I wish UAT worked under linux, I spend 90% of my time inside linux).

I would be glad even if there's any way/tool that'll let me test the modem to see if it's working or if it was damaged or what.

Thanks for any help received.
Old 04-22-2019, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 311347
Sonork: 100.1672192
Thanks Meter: 486
1 - Install eng firmware from support area, these roms diag enabled and rooted
2 - Backup QCN
3 - Wipe Security at EDL Mode or ADB or TWRP
4 - Repair IMEI By Diag Port
5 - Re-Write Stock Rom.
Old 04-23-2019, 22:37   #3 (permalink)

I continue to be stuck.

I've installed the engineer fw again. But tt does not have root

Yet it has a diag port started (com3) but is not recognized as in Diag mode

Neither using the com1 port

Now, I can root it with KingoRoot, only once (if I reboot I need to reinstall the firmware and root again). But if I enable Diag mode, if I use QC Generic

It says it enables Diag, and I still have the diag port (com3) but I still get the "Not on diag port" error

And if I do it all again, and try enabling diag in QC Asus mode, it says it's enabled

But the com3 port disapears completely and no diag on com1.

Yet when enabling diag mode in QC Asus mode, windows shows a driverless usb device with vendor id 0B05 (Asus), and Product ID 5609, yet I can't find any drivers for this device, as the support page for the Zenfone 3 Laser has no driver downloads (only the unlocker for the phone, and firmware versions, in ANY section of support for Zenfone 3 Laser)

Any idea why:
A) the eng firmware seems not to be rooted (it would expedite things if it were and I didn't have to reinstall every time I want to root with kingo)

B) Diag mode is not working.

I have screenshots for everything I've mentioned, but I can't post them yet (I need 4 more posts in the forum, and I don't want to create useless/empty posts to get them).

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2019, 23:53   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 311347
Sonork: 100.1672192
Thanks Meter: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunth View Post
I continue to be stuck.

I've installed the engineer fw again. But tt does not have root

Yet it has a diag port started (com3) but is not recognized as in Diag mode

Neither using the com1 port

Now, I can root it with KingoRoot, only once (if I reboot I need to reinstall the firmware and root again). But if I enable Diag mode, if I use QC Generic

It says it enables Diag, and I still have the diag port (com3) but I still get the "Not on diag port" error

And if I do it all again, and try enabling diag in QC Asus mode, it says it's enabled

But the com3 port disapears completely and no diag on com1.

Yet when enabling diag mode in QC Asus mode, windows shows a driverless usb device with vendor id 0B05 (Asus), and Product ID 5609, yet I can't find any drivers for this device, as the support page for the Zenfone 3 Laser has no driver downloads (only the unlocker for the phone, and firmware versions, in ANY section of support for Zenfone 3 Laser)

Any idea why:
A) the eng firmware seems not to be rooted (it would expedite things if it were and I didn't have to reinstall every time I want to root with kingo)

B) Diag mode is not working.

I have screenshots for everything I've mentioned, but I can't post them yet (I need 4 more posts in the forum, and I don't want to create useless/empty posts to get them).

Thank you.

Hello

if you able root it then using this command at cmd screen
adb shell
su
setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb

Then Diag port will be enabled....
Then Backup QCN at diag port, Backup Security at EDL Mode
Wipe Security at EDL Mode, Write IMEI at Diag port
The Following User Says Thank You to gsmkolik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 22:54   #5 (permalink)

Hmmm still no go.

The phone seems to have Diag enabled by default, as seen here in the info (adb mode):

And here:

Yet I try to set it again:

The diag device is detected by windows:

It has this driver version:

And these settings:

But still, UAT doesn't recognize the port:

Something interesting, some time ago, while fighting this, I did manage to drop a QCN, but checkign with qpst qcnview the model makes me have doubts about the setup, because afaik this phone should be a msm8937 and the qcn in the viewer reads msm8909:
Old 04-25-2019, 07:13   #6 (permalink)
Product Manager

Member: 1737175
Sonork: 100.1667675
Thanks Meter: 10,509
Please Try Enabling Diag Port by going to Reboot Tab and Enable Diag. [ASUS]
The Following User Says Thank You to Mehmood Riaz 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 20:49   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmood Riaz 1 View Post
Please Try Enabling Diag Port by going to Reboot Tab and Enable Diag. [ASUS]
Thanks Mehmood, this does seem to change the phone mode adecuately, trouble is, there's no COM port added, and I have an unidentified device:

The problem is that there's NO sub drivers download on the Asus support page for the Zenfone 3 Laser. I've downloaded 4 different driver zips form Asus for different models, the newest pack being uploaded in November 2016 but none have the right vendor/product IDs (Vendor id 0B05 product id 5609, MI_02).

I've not been able to find the driver for this (to see if it's the diag port device) anywhere. What I'm doing right now is considering all these asus drive zips seem to use the same driver dlls to provide for a WHOLE lot of asus device IDs, I'm downloading the SDK and Windows Driver Kit from microsoft (will take one hour), and will try to edit the inf to add this id to the listed ids and then inf2cat to create the catalog files (unsigned it'll have to be), to see if the dlls miraculously do recognize and handle the device correctly and I get a diag port out of it.

if anybody knows if such drivers for this device even exist (asus seem to be pretty sloppy about drivers) and where to find it, I'd be eternally grateful.
Old 04-25-2019, 21:02   #8 (permalink)

Ok, I think I'm slightly confused. I did add the id to the inf, and managed to have the driver "recognize" it, but it's "just" a composite device.

So I checked the status for the usb mode config, and I see it's still in adb, diag, and now remote ndis mode too:

And I wonder if this ndis is the method I need to use to connect to it... also when I installed the qualcom usb drivers from the support area, it asked wether to use the wwan (NDIS 6.2) or the Ethernet (ndis 5.1) method, I selected ethernet because it sounded more "logical", but I wonder if it's the right one to use. Also if I use ethernet it says dhcp is used for the ip, so I wonder if I need to setup and enable a dhcp daemon service on the ndis interface for this to work.
Old 04-25-2019, 21:14   #9 (permalink)

I have no diag com port though:
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14   #10 (permalink)
Product Manager

Member: 2709688
Thanks Meter: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunth View Post
Ok, I think I'm slightly confused. I did add the id to the inf, and managed to have the driver "recognize" it, but it's "just" a composite device.

So I checked the status for the usb mode config, and I see it's still in adb, diag, and now remote ndis mode too:

And I wonder if this ndis is the method I need to use to connect to it... also when I installed the qualcom usb drivers from the support area, it asked wether to use the wwan (NDIS 6.2) or the Ethernet (ndis 5.1) method, I selected ethernet because it sounded more "logical", but I wonder if it's the right one to use. Also if I use ethernet it says dhcp is used for the ip, so I wonder if I need to setup and enable a dhcp daemon service on the ndis interface for this to work.

Hi, Send me PM by Skype we will fix your device and check it remotly
Old 07-11-2019, 15:41   #11 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 2561651
Sonork: 100.*******
Thanks Meter: 292
How to enable asus 7.1 diag mode? Rooted all commands tried but still not working?