GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > The Market Place > The Market Feed Back

The Market Feed Back Write here your feedback and your Comments about buyers, sellers or Product Feed Back, Read Carefully The Related Rules for this Section.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2018, 18:11   #31 (permalink)
Crazy Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brunei Darussalam
Posts: 55
Member: 1527883
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1637238
Thanks Meter: 22

Ouch MR PROFESSIONAL UNLOCK SEVER...This is your solution?


 
Old 11-17-2018, 14:30   #32 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
~Leo~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: [OFFLINE][AWAY]
Posts: 5,050
Member: 224065
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1577902
Thanks Meter: 7,795
so now it's gsmhosting staff problem how !!?? we are not obliged to you or anyone we only offer our help with conflicts and we don't make rules to force them on people you two agreed to make continuous business with each others and Agreed on terms between buyer and seller which we try to guide and not force it

anyway when it comes to this , how long you are using his services ?
anyway @imei source please unblock his account or refund him it's unnecessary to ban him cuz he opened case in forum
you two are two gentlemen that can actully solve this without our help anyway willwait updates
and third parties please read the rules so when i will take action you won't come crying and accusing us with non sense
__________________
USE "THANKS" Button.
Follow Forum Rules
OFFLINE and Away
 
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~Leo~ For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 11-18-2018, 08:02   #33 (permalink)
Freak Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cubao
Posts: 121
Member: 883685
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1648291
Thanks Meter: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Leo~ View Post
so now it's gsmhosting staff problem how !!?? we are not obliged to you or anyone we only offer our help with conflicts and we don't make rules to force them on people you two agreed to make continuous business with each others and Agreed on terms between buyer and seller which we try to guide and not force it

anyway when it comes to this , how long you are using his services ?
anyway @imei source please unblock his account or refund him it's unnecessary to ban him cuz he opened case in forum
you two are two gentlemen that can actully solve this without our help anyway willwait updates
and third parties please read the rules so when i will take action you won't come crying and accusing us with non sense

no sir smod ~Leo~ i just want to ask your help that they will refund my remaining credits.

i am not forcing anybody to help me but i am looking somebody to assist me in this issue that they return my remaining credits...

thanks very much SMOD ~Leo~ we will wait for the update...
 
Old 11-21-2018, 16:09   #34 (permalink)
Freak Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: appel
Posts: 112
Member: 2843046
Status: Online
Thanks Meter: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaliah View Post
no sir smod ~Leo~ i just want to ask your help that they will refund my remaining credits.

i am not forcing anybody to help me but i am looking somebody to assist me in this issue that they return my remaining credits...

thanks very much SMOD ~Leo~ we will wait for the update...
YOU LUCKY MAN ..... AND THANKS FOR KEEP FIGHT
 
Old 11-22-2018, 09:00   #35 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 62
Member: 1418862
Status: Offline
Thanks Meter: 9
He believes that anyone who has a trading dispute with him is a liar. Even if the customer loses money, he will not give you a refund, still think you are a liar.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to huzi104124 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 12:20   #36 (permalink)
Cheater -Don't Deal with him-
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: IMEI Source | Sales
Posts: 38,918
Member: 2185503
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1602000
Thanks Meter: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzi104124 View Post
He believes that anyone who has a trading dispute with him is a liar. Even if the customer loses money, he will not give you a refund, still think you are a liar.
Your case is here so that you can sort out about in here. Beware from PayPal ID: [email protected]
 
Old 11-23-2018, 12:03   #37 (permalink)
Freak Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cubao
Posts: 121
Member: 883685
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1648291
Thanks Meter: 47
Hi smod leo... any update please....

Tnx very much...
 
Old 11-24-2018, 05:41   #38 (permalink)
Freak Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 268
Member: 129163
Status: Offline
Thanks Meter: 60
Hi imei source team
Me too, i sent many tickets to your team but your team cant solve it.
If your services are not stable please rejected it because we must make a refund to my cust
some oders are still pending now
Order ID 357CABA9
Message/Code In Process
Submited On 29/05/2018 16:44:06
Order ID 35915557
IMEI Number 50
Message/Code In Process
Submited On 09/07/2018 15:17:02
Order ID 3593A9B1
IMEI Number 355350087039xxx
Message/Code In Process
Submited On 19/09/2018 21:27:03
Order ID 3593A9B7
IMEI Number 359216072115xxx
Message/Code In Process
Submited On 19/09/2018 22:10:02
 
Old 11-24-2018, 09:16   #39 (permalink)
Cheater -Don't Deal with him-
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: IMEI Source | Sales
Posts: 38,918
Member: 2185503
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1602000
Thanks Meter: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doantri View Post
Hi imei source team
Me too, i sent many tickets to your team but your team cant solve it.
If your services are not stable please rejected it because we must make a refund to my cust
some oders are still pending now
Order ID 357CABA9
Message/Code In Process
Submited On 29/05/2018 16:44:06
Order ID 35915557
IMEI Number 50
Message/Code In Process
Submited On 09/07/2018 15:17:02
Order ID 3593A9B1
IMEI Number 355350087039xxx
Message/Code In Process
Submited On 19/09/2018 21:27:03
Order ID 3593A9B7
IMEI Number 359216072115xxx
Message/Code In Process
Submited On 19/09/2018 22:10:02
Dear Doantri,

If you made thousands of tickets, it does not makes any sense to us because we do not offer/do not allow to any order related tickets. There is strictly mentioned on the ticket submit page, why fun here??
https://www.imeisource.com/submitticket.html

Review some KB:
https://www.imeisource.com/knowledge...-Verifications
https://www.imeisource.com/knowledgebase/28/Support
Any query, use contact form directly clicking here. https://www.imeisource.com/contactus.html

Read disclaimer where mentioned to avoid making issues itself.
 
Old 11-24-2018, 09:43   #40 (permalink)
Freak Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 268
Member: 129163
Status: Offline
Thanks Meter: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEI Source View Post
Dear Doantri,

If you made thousands of tickets, it does not makes any sense to us because we do not offer/do not allow to any order related tickets. There is strictly mentioned on the ticket submit page, why fun here??
https://www.imeisource.com/submitticket.html

Review some KB:
https://www.imeisource.com/knowledge...-Verifications
https://www.imeisource.com/knowledgebase/28/Support
Any query, use contact form directly clicking here. https://www.imeisource.com/contactus.html

Read disclaimer where mentioned to avoid making issues itself.
Hi bro
Also i used contactus form, but your support team cant solve my request. you should check your service again, there are too many services delayed or dont work now. i'm your customer and i hope it can work ok, if its not stable you must reply it soon.
some oders Submited On 29/05/2018 and now 24/11/2018, what do you think about this oder ?
Br
 
Old 11-24-2018, 09:47   #41 (permalink)
Cheater -Don't Deal with him-
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: IMEI Source | Sales
Posts: 38,918
Member: 2185503
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1602000
Thanks Meter: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doantri View Post
Hi bro
Also i used contactus form, but your support team cant solve my request. you should check your service again, there are too many services delayed or dont work now. i'm your customer and i hope it can work ok, if its not stable you must reply it soon.
some oders Submited On 29/05/2018 and now 24/11/2018, what do you think about this oder ?
Br
Open a thread IMEI Source and submit the 8 digit reference number. We will check for you.

This is not our support section, unfortunately.
 
Old 11-24-2018, 12:46   #42 (permalink)
Freak Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cubao
Posts: 121
Member: 883685
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1648291
Thanks Meter: 47
hellow sir smod leo,
do we have any update in this issue? bcoz imei source reply to other issues but he's ignoring mine. what can you say about this?

ok, 1st of all i trusted IMEISOURCE because he is product manager/products supporter thats why i am confident enough to buy a credits to him...

if he didnt refund my money,thats ok!! all i want him to be listed cheater in this forum, bcoz he obviously cheated his clients. its enough for me that i am last victim i just want to aware the members here in this forum that he is scammer/cheater.

Tnx very much sir leo...
 
Old 11-24-2018, 22:03   #43 (permalink)
Cheater -Don't Deal with him-
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: IMEI Source | Sales
Posts: 38,918
Member: 2185503
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1602000
Thanks Meter: 433
IMEI Source does not offer any refunding if any clients have used their credits with Reseller / Distributor price group. However, you may find the refund policy here. The strict policy is evident to anyone. All credits are usable for valid clients.

The OP made a thread in our section with included service price, and we deleted that thread because strictly not allowed to publish our prices screenshot or prices. It's very reasonable that not be provided the reason for the deletion of the deleted thread from our section. Hence, he made the same case in the market feedback as he thinks this is a playground.

We will not tolerate it in any way if anybody tries to mislead with our business with objective motivation.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to IMEI Source For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 01:55   #44 (permalink)
Freak Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cubao
Posts: 121
Member: 883685
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1648291
Thanks Meter: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEI Source View Post
IMEI Source does not offer any refunding if any clients have used their credits with Reseller / Distributor price group. However, you may find the refund policy here. The strict policy is evident to anyone. All credits are usable for valid clients.

The OP made a thread in our section with included service price, and we deleted that thread because strictly not allowed to publish our prices screenshot or prices. It's very reasonable that not be provided the reason for the deletion of the deleted thread from our section. Hence, he made the same case in the market feedback as he thinks this is a playground.

We will not tolerate it in any way if anybody tries to mislead with our business with objective motivation.
Dont insist in your policy bcoz first of all before i posted i msg you a lot in whatsapp i ddnt get any updates from you this isnt the first time but a lot of times that your service is always delay. If your service is good then why should i leave? I have lost some clients and some if my clients fought me because of your garbage service.
 
Old 11-25-2018, 04:00   #45 (permalink)
Freak Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cubao
Posts: 121
Member: 883685
Status: Offline
Sonork: 100.1648291
Thanks Meter: 47
now tell me how can i use my credits even cheaper service rejected?
now tell me that what im asking for refund is not reasonable?
do you think i left you if your service is good enough?



























screen shots








pc screen shot








 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:10.



Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
- GSM Hosting Ltd. - 1999-2017 -
Page generated in 0.41919 seconds with 7 queries

SEO by vBSEO