GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > Various CDMA/TDMA Cell Phones

Various CDMA/TDMA Cell Phones All CDMA & TDMA Cell Phones Related Threads are here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 19:40   #1 (permalink)

Member: 47359
Thanks Meter: 0
Does a programmable CDMA SIM/RUIM exists?

I was able to activate a Verizon 4G LTE CDMA SIM card on another CDMA provider by providing the MEID of the SIM card itself (this provider is called Page Plus, does not support 4G, only 3G). It's not possible to manually program the SIM card in the phone using either QPST or DFS because it is read-only. However, OTA programming was able to write MDN, MIN, PRL, etc. to the SIM. So now any phone I put the SIM card into has working voice and text. However, I cannot get data to work. The OTA programming does not update the data configuration of the SIM card. Is there any possible way I can make changes to the data configuration and write to the SIM card?

If there's no way to write to the Verizon SIM, does a programmable CDMA SIM/RUIM exist? If yes, where can I buy it, and what do I need to program it? I've heard of a "Green Card RUIM", but is it user-programmable? And if yes, does it need special hardware, or can it be programmed by QPST or DFS in the phone?
Old 07-15-2014, 16:33   #2 (permalink)

Member: 2223036
Same question
Anybody have Andy?
Old 07-15-2014, 16:48   #3 (permalink)

I was able to buy a blank SIM from China. I could program only basic CDMA stuff into it, like MDN, MIN, SID, IMSI, etc. They sent me some software that could program some 1X and 3G parameters, but the phone could not see any of those parameters. So basically same problem as activating a Verizon SIM, I could not get data to work.
Old 07-28-2014, 14:45   #4 (permalink)

Member: 2229758
How did you program it? I have a Kyocero Hydro which doesn't seem to want to be programmed (everything's read-only, can't figure out how to change it), and I'd love a way of doing it otherwise, like through a SIM.
Old 07-28-2014, 21:01   #5 (permalink)

They sent me a utility to program it.
Is your Kyocera Hydro a CDMA model? I've got a Kyocera Hydro CDMA from Boost, it doesn't have any place for a SIM.

I'm not sure that the blank programmed SIM could even work in a Kyocera. I had a Hydro Elite awhile back and it wouldn't recognize the Chinese SIM. Neither would an LG Lucid 2. Only a Motorola RAZR M XT907 and Electrify M XT901 could recognize it.

All phones could recognize a Verizon SIM that I programmed through OTA using the RAZR M though.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51   #6 (permalink)

Member: 2229758
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
They sent me a utility to program it.
Is your Kyocera Hydro a CDMA model? I've got a Kyocera Hydro CDMA from Boost, it doesn't have any place for a SIM.

I'm not sure that the blank programmed SIM could even work in a Kyocera. I had a Hydro Elite awhile back and it wouldn't recognize the Chinese SIM. Neither would an LG Lucid 2. Only a Motorola RAZR M XT907 and Electrify M XT901 could recognize it.

All phones could recognize a Verizon SIM that I programmed through OTA using the RAZR M though.
My Hydro Elite is Verizon, and so yes, it's CDMA, which should make flashing it to PagePlus pretty easy, but the read-only values...

Anyway, it has a SIM slot, but it's 4G, so the SIM is used for the 4G authentication. Because Verizon uses the 4G authentication for everything, without the SIM, it can't connect to 3G or 1X either. I guess the Chinese SIM's worth a try then, though if it could work with the Verizon one I already have, that would be great too.
Old 07-29-2014, 14:47   #7 (permalink)

Ah, ok, you first just said Hydro, so I didn't know you have an Elite (there does exist a regular Hydro - low end single-core device w/3.5" screen).

Yes, I had tried to flash a Hydro Elite to PagePlus as well. I don't believe it's possible to flash any recent Kyocera to PagePlus.

No, the Chinese SIM won't work for you. As I mentioned earlier, I tried one in my Hydro Elite and it wouldn't recognize it at all. It acts like it's locked, but I know the phone is not locked because GSM SIM cards from T-Mobile and AT&T worked in it. It seems only Motorolas like the Chinese card. It did recognize the genuine Verizon SIM, but I don't know if it will OTA program if you activate it. First you will have to find the MEID of the SIM card, which I don't know if you can do with the Kyocera, and have PagePlus activate that MEID. Then you have to do *228 to do the OTA programming which will set up the CDMA profile in the SIM card. There is no way that I'm aware of to get data working in a CDMA SIM card yet that I know of. If the OTA program won't work on a Kyocera, you may have to use a Motorola to do the initial OTA programming and then you should be able to switch the card to the Kyocera.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:36   #8 (permalink)

Member: 287038
Quote:
Ah, ok, you first just said Hydro, so I didn't know you have an Elite (there does exist a regular Hydro - low end single-core device w/3.5" screen).

Yes, I had tried to flash a Hydro Elite to PagePlus as well. I don't believe it's possible to flash any recent Kyocera to PagePlus.

No, the Chinese SIM won't work for you. As I mentioned earlier, I tried one in my Hydro Elite and it wouldn't recognize it at all. It acts like it's locked, but I know the phone is not locked because GSM SIM cards from T-Mobile and AT&T worked in it. It seems only Motorolas like the Chinese card. It did recognize the genuine Verizon SIM, but I don't know if it will OTA program if you activate it. First you will have to find the MEID of the SIM card, which I don't know if you can do with the Kyocera, and have PagePlus activate that MEID. Then you have to do *228 to do the OTA programming which will set up the CDMA profile in the SIM card. There is no way that I'm aware of to get data working in a CDMA SIM card yet that I know of. If the OTA program won't work on a Kyocera, you may have to use a Motorola to do the initial OTA programming and then you should be able to switch the card to the Kyocera.
I am using it in India on Reliance CDMA Network. It works with CDMA SIM/RUIM out of the box for Voice & Text, However data is not working.

BTW were u able to to put the phone in diag mode for using DFS/CDMAWS. Can u share how to put it in Diag Mode. Also can u share the Chinese sim writing utility.

Thx
Old 08-05-2014, 17:17   #9 (permalink)

The Chinese SIM writing utility won't read, write, or recognize anything other than that specific Chinese SIM. I could share it if you'd like, but I don't think it would be of any use. PM me your email address if you want it, but I did already try it on Verizon and US Cellular CDMA SIM/RUIM cards and it won't do anything with them.

I wasn't able to get the phone into diag mode. It has an Internet Modem mode like LG phones if I recall correctly. On LGs, that's how you get into DFS/CDMAWS, but I don't recall there being working modem drivers for the Kyocera.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:05   #10 (permalink)

Member: 2453243
Quote:
I was able to activate a Verizon 4G LTE CDMA SIM card on another CDMA provider by providing the MEID of the SIM card itself (this provider is called Page Plus, does not support 4G, only 3G). It's not possible to manually program the SIM card in the phone using either QPST or DFS because it is read-only. However, OTA programming was able to write MDN, MIN, PRL, etc. to the SIM. So now any phone I put the SIM card into has working voice and text. However, I cannot get data to work. The OTA programming does not update the data configuration of the SIM card. Is there any possible way I can make changes to the data configuration and write to the SIM card?

If there's no way to write to the Verizon SIM, does a programmable CDMA SIM/RUIM exist? If yes, where can I buy it, and what do I need to program it? I've heard of a "Green Card RUIM", but is it user-programmable? And if yes, does it need special hardware, or can it be programmed by QPST or DFS in the phone?
hi ,
i m also goingthrough same problem ,i have update my phone from jelly bean to kitkat n now data service of reliance is not working can anybody help me pls
Old 11-18-2015, 07:31   #11 (permalink)

Member: 1833581
Thanks Meter: 2
I understand that in cdma RUIM you have to copy the A-key as well . But i didnt succeeded in finding a tool to retrieve akey either from UIM or from my phone . i can copy all other parameters and write it to the programmable sim and i am able to receive calls and sms but calls are disconnecting in 2 seconds . this is just because of the issue with Akey . Anybody came across this issue while doing RUIM programming ?
Old 11-30-2015, 21:22   #12 (permalink)

I got around that by doing an ESN change to a different device, then a few days later ESN change back to my phone with the RUIM card. I think that resets the A-key.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:09   #13 (permalink)

Member: 1685596
I have kyocera hydro elite C6750 it was tolad that it is unocked.
now it says "This Sim card is from an unknown source "
What to do ?