GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > Various CDMA/TDMA Cell Phones

Various CDMA/TDMA Cell Phones All CDMA & TDMA Cell Phones Related Threads are here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 13:34   #1 (permalink)
Product Supporter

Member: 65063
Thanks Meter: 2,419
Donate money to this user
Arrow Using foreign handsets with Other CDMA network

This FAQ is a guide to cover most questions related to using foreign CDMA handsets with CDMA operators in India). If you are looking to use a top-of-the-line CDMA handset (mostly launched in USA) or have a foreign CDMA handset, this is the topic for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using foreign handsets with Other CDMA network

Q: Can I use <insert any foreign CDMA handset here> with my existing CDMA connection?
A: Yes, since MEID/ESN of the handset can be registered with India Cdma Operator nowadays, the handset can be made to work with them using your existing connection.

Q: What is MEID? What is a MEID Registered Handset?
A: MEID means Mobile Equipment Identifier. It is a unique number for each CDMA handset which is generally displayed under the battery compartment. MEID registered handset means the number is entered and accepted as valid in the respective CDMA network’s internal network management software. Unless it’s registered, it cannot be used on that particular network.

Q: So all I need is to get the MEID/ESN of the handset registered with Cdma Operator to start using the foreign CDMA handset?
A: It isn't easy as that. The handset has to be fed with Cdma network's parameters using programming softwares. There is no straight forward procedure and the procedure varies for different handsets. Some handsets are very difficult to configure and you might even end up bricking the handset if you are not sure what you are doing.

Q: So I should not import the handset here if I want to use a foriegn handset with Indian CDMA Operator? What is the best way then?
A: Exactly! Please DO NOT import the handset as activating it with another CDMA network requires technical expertise and softwares after the MEID/ESN is registered. It is recommended to buy a pre-configured handset from any good seller . You should be able to transfer the connection using a Handset Change Card (HCC) or from Corresponding Cdma Mobile Agency to the handset which the seller will provide you. Please save yourself the hassles of configuring the handset by purchasing the handset directly from a seller. If you are thinking to import the handset to save money, there will not be much saving considering that you have to pay someone to get the MEID/ESN registered and get the handset configured.

Q: Is it illegal to configure a foreign CDMA handset with Indian Cdma Operator? Will my connection be misused by someone?
A: Using an MEID registered handset is safe and there isn't much chance of misuse unlike other illegal methods like cloning. The legality in changing the settings of operator locked foreign handset is debatable but certainly not illegal as cloning a handset.

Q: Do I get warranty for the foreign CDMA handsets from the sellers here?
A: Unfortunately you cannot get manufacturer warranty for foreign handsets imported here. There were some incident discussed in the past where members have reported the manufacturer to have given warranty for their handsets, but that may not happen normally. They had to send the handset to US through some relative to avail the warranty. It was also reported that HTC may provide warranty services on imported handsets in India but they charge a flat fee of Rs. 1,400 to even inspect the problem. The handset seller may be able to provide limited support (as in acquiring parts or availability of service locations) depending on what the issue is. If you are not comfortable with purchasing a handset without warranty you may consider purchasing a handset directly from Cdma Phone Stores. With that said, the foriegn CDMA handsets (mostly imported from US) are of good quality and majority the buyers of foriegn CDMA handsets here have had trouble free experience.

Q: Will I be able to use data (1x or EVDO) in the foriegn CDMA handset?
A: Yes, data (both 1x and EVDO) will work in most handsets posted in the Sell forums. The sale topic will mention if data (CDMA 1x or EVDO or both) will work or not. On imported Blackberry Handsets in CDMA mode, BIS (Blackberry Internet Services) don’t work on Indian CDMA networks, however some sellers were able to offer that as well in the past.

Q: What are the data (1x and EVDO) plans (prepaid and postpaid) available that I can use with the handset?
A: All NetConnect (CDMA) plans mentioned on Cdma Network Corresponding website can be activated for Postpaid Customer. Prepaid customers will have to go for activatation FIRST before getting handset. Some sellers may offer better data plans that are not normally available to the public, you can check that with the seller before the deal.

Q: What is the process to transfer my existing connection to the handset?
A: You can use a Hanset Change Card (HCC) or Need to visit Cdma Phone Store Hub to transfer the connection or the seller will give you instructions on how to transfer the MDN at Cdma Mobile Store.

Q: If I want to sell the handset to another person what will be the procedure at that time?
A: You may have to seek the assistance of your handset seller for transferring the handset (including reconfiguration the handset data parameters for new user's MDN) to another person when you want to sell it. The seller may charge for that service which is fair. You can clarify such charges by the seller by email/PM when you buy the handset.

Q: Can I register MEID and use the handset with TATA or MTS network in India?
A: MEID/ESN registration with TATA and MTS is not as easy as Reliance, however some sellers do sell handsets registered for TATA, MTS. The handset seller will mention the sell topic whether the handset is compatible with other networks or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQs for those who already have a foreign CDMA handset to be activated with Indian Cdma Operators :

Q: I read this topic late and had unknowingly imported an handset from US. What can I do now to transfer my Reliance CDMA connection to it?

A: These are the main steps:

1) Get the ESN/MEID registered (by giving parametrs like MEID or ESN, SPC, Manufacturer, Model, Sub Model)

2) If the Handset allows changing SPC, then change to ZERO (you require to know the SPC/MSL Code to chanage SPC - Generally On ****.com there are many sellers selling SPC for these Handsets)

3) If SPC cannot be changed then give original SPC for MEID Registration (for Sprint, iPhone, and Blackberry)

4) Restore the original MEID if it is not the same (This VERY difficult procedure and only experts can do this with their professional tools)

5) Change network parameters (NAM1 - MNC - MCC, enter MIN as any number starting with 9, enter MDN as any number starting with 9) and load the PRL to that of Reliance Mobile CDMA.

You should be able to activate the handset after that by transferring your connection using a Handset Change Card (HCC) or transfer MDN at a Reliance Web World/Mobile Store.

Q: Where do I get my handset's MEID/ESN registered?
A: You may try contacting the sellers in the Reputer Seller Group On the forum, one can take the help of Moderators.

Q: What is a fair cost to have the MEID/ESN registered?
A: Since there is no defined cost for MEID/ESN registration, the seller may charge a nominal fee for the registration process. A fair cost seen among sellers offering MEID/ESN registration alone (without handset configuration) is around Rs.600 but it will vary depending on the seller.

Q: How do I restore the MEID and configure the handset settings?
A: There is no universal way of restoring MEIDs. The process to restore original MEID will be different for different handsets. Some handsets may restore ESN/MEID with a master/factory reset, however this is not always the case. Some handsets may require only minutes while some handsets will require several hours. You may even end up bricking the handset if you are not sure what you are doing. So the best and easiest way is to get it done by the person who registers your handset's MEID/ESN.

Q: What is a fair cost to get the handset configured over TeamViewer or directly?
A: The cost for the handset configration will vary depending on the seller, the specific handset model, your technical knowledge, etc. I had discussed with several sellers for their opinion and none of them are willing to commit themselves officially due to various limitations. So you have to contact a seller and request help so that the seller can understand your requirement and give you a custom quote for the help with configuration. You may be quoted less if you are technically proficient to handle some of the configurations from your side provided you have the softwares. Some sellers may be able to configure the handset through TeamViewer while some may want you to send the handset via courier or deliver directly. So it basically depends on what you and the seller are comfortable with after discussion. Some sellers may offer to configure it for free if they have time to spare.

Some sellers have to depend on third parties for having the MEID/ESN or EVDO activated, so the time required for this procedure will vary which is one main reason why sellers cannot give a commitment. Please try to get it done through sellers in the forum and avoid new sellers with no feedback as I have received few reports of people (on other platforms like quikr.com, olx.in) being duped or ignored after collecting the money for MEID/ESN registration.

Q: I am technically inclined, have required softwares and am willing to take the risk. Where can I discuss the steps to configure the handset myself once the MEID is registered?
A: Topics for that purpose can be discussed in Topics with the basic steps will be posted in the coming days as it will help both the seller and buyer.

Q: How do I know if the MEID is registered or not?
A: You can check that by sending SMS with format: Eg-GETSTAT RSN# from any active Reliance CDMA handset to 53733, for other operator need to contact network operators customer care.

Q: What is the fair cost for EVDO activation if I want to use data also?
A: Once again, as mentioned earlier there isn't a predetermined cost for EVDO activation. You may contact the seller to find out the price including configuration of the handset.

wbr
CellSoldiers™
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ~AKSingh~ For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 12-28-2011, 17:15   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 167191
Thanks Meter: 363
ipad2 cdma 3g verizon can be convert to india(reliance,tata)???

gurinder
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55   #3 (permalink)
Product Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurinder View Post
ipad2 cdma 3g verizon can be convert to india(reliance,tata)???

gurinder
yes it can be made to run on other operator

br,
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 167191
Thanks Meter: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AKSingh~ View Post
yes it can be made to run on other operator

br,
ok but how to make *228 as there is no dialpad on ipad2, everybody knows that

how to write hdr id/pass?

is there any other alternative to do these things without keypad?

gurinder
Old 12-30-2011, 06:51   #5 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 327043
Sonork: 100.1587811
Thanks Meter: 1,514
i read it before here

may be it from here n also more info here

The All-in-one FAQ: Using Foreign Imported CDMA Handsets with CDMA Networks in India - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sneha For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2012, 15:40   #6 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 227647
Sonork: 100.1603662
Thanks Meter: 311
Thumbs up from where to get meid registration ?

from where to get meid registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AKSingh~ View Post
This FAQ is a guide to cover most questions related to using foreign CDMA handsets with CDMA operators in India). If you are looking to use a top-of-the-line CDMA handset (mostly launched in USA) or have a foreign CDMA handset, this is the topic for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using foreign handsets with Other CDMA network

Q: Can I use <insert any foreign CDMA handset here> with my existing CDMA connection?
A: Yes, since MEID/ESN of the handset can be registered with India Cdma Operator nowadays, the handset can be made to work with them using your existing connection.

Q: What is MEID? What is a MEID Registered Handset?
A: MEID means Mobile Equipment Identifier. It is a unique number for each CDMA handset which is generally displayed under the battery compartment. MEID registered handset means the number is entered and accepted as valid in the respective CDMA network’s internal network management software. Unless it’s registered, it cannot be used on that particular network.

Q: So all I need is to get the MEID/ESN of the handset registered with Cdma Operator to start using the foreign CDMA handset?
A: It isn't easy as that. The handset has to be fed with Cdma network's parameters using programming softwares. There is no straight forward procedure and the procedure varies for different handsets. Some handsets are very difficult to configure and you might even end up bricking the handset if you are not sure what you are doing.

Q: So I should not import the handset here if I want to use a foriegn handset with Indian CDMA Operator? What is the best way then?
A: Exactly! Please DO NOT import the handset as activating it with another CDMA network requires technical expertise and softwares after the MEID/ESN is registered. It is recommended to buy a pre-configured handset from any good seller . You should be able to transfer the connection using a Handset Change Card (HCC) or from Corresponding Cdma Mobile Agency to the handset which the seller will provide you. Please save yourself the hassles of configuring the handset by purchasing the handset directly from a seller. If you are thinking to import the handset to save money, there will not be much saving considering that you have to pay someone to get the MEID/ESN registered and get the handset configured.

Q: Is it illegal to configure a foreign CDMA handset with Indian Cdma Operator? Will my connection be misused by someone?
A: Using an MEID registered handset is safe and there isn't much chance of misuse unlike other illegal methods like cloning. The legality in changing the settings of operator locked foreign handset is debatable but certainly not illegal as cloning a handset.

Q: Do I get warranty for the foreign CDMA handsets from the sellers here?
A: Unfortunately you cannot get manufacturer warranty for foreign handsets imported here. There were some incident discussed in the past where members have reported the manufacturer to have given warranty for their handsets, but that may not happen normally. They had to send the handset to US through some relative to avail the warranty. It was also reported that HTC may provide warranty services on imported handsets in India but they charge a flat fee of Rs. 1,400 to even inspect the problem. The handset seller may be able to provide limited support (as in acquiring parts or availability of service locations) depending on what the issue is. If you are not comfortable with purchasing a handset without warranty you may consider purchasing a handset directly from Cdma Phone Stores. With that said, the foriegn CDMA handsets (mostly imported from US) are of good quality and majority the buyers of foriegn CDMA handsets here have had trouble free experience.

Q: Will I be able to use data (1x or EVDO) in the foriegn CDMA handset?
A: Yes, data (both 1x and EVDO) will work in most handsets posted in the Sell forums. The sale topic will mention if data (CDMA 1x or EVDO or both) will work or not. On imported Blackberry Handsets in CDMA mode, BIS (Blackberry Internet Services) don’t work on Indian CDMA networks, however some sellers were able to offer that as well in the past.

Q: What are the data (1x and EVDO) plans (prepaid and postpaid) available that I can use with the handset?
A: All NetConnect (CDMA) plans mentioned on Cdma Network Corresponding website can be activated for Postpaid Customer. Prepaid customers will have to go for activatation FIRST before getting handset. Some sellers may offer better data plans that are not normally available to the public, you can check that with the seller before the deal.

Q: What is the process to transfer my existing connection to the handset?
A: You can use a Hanset Change Card (HCC) or Need to visit Cdma Phone Store Hub to transfer the connection or the seller will give you instructions on how to transfer the MDN at Cdma Mobile Store.

Q: If I want to sell the handset to another person what will be the procedure at that time?
A: You may have to seek the assistance of your handset seller for transferring the handset (including reconfiguration the handset data parameters for new user's MDN) to another person when you want to sell it. The seller may charge for that service which is fair. You can clarify such charges by the seller by email/PM when you buy the handset.

Q: Can I register MEID and use the handset with TATA or MTS network in India?
A: MEID/ESN registration with TATA and MTS is not as easy as Reliance, however some sellers do sell handsets registered for TATA, MTS. The handset seller will mention the sell topic whether the handset is compatible with other networks or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQs for those who already have a foreign CDMA handset to be activated with Indian Cdma Operators :

Q: I read this topic late and had unknowingly imported an handset from US. What can I do now to transfer my Reliance CDMA connection to it?

A: These are the main steps:

1) Get the ESN/MEID registered (by giving parametrs like MEID or ESN, SPC, Manufacturer, Model, Sub Model)

2) If the Handset allows changing SPC, then change to ZERO (you require to know the SPC/MSL Code to chanage SPC - Generally On ****.com there are many sellers selling SPC for these Handsets)

3) If SPC cannot be changed then give original SPC for MEID Registration (for Sprint, iPhone, and Blackberry)

4) Restore the original MEID if it is not the same (This VERY difficult procedure and only experts can do this with their professional tools)

5) Change network parameters (NAM1 - MNC - MCC, enter MIN as any number starting with 9, enter MDN as any number starting with 9) and load the PRL to that of Reliance Mobile CDMA.

You should be able to activate the handset after that by transferring your connection using a Handset Change Card (HCC) or transfer MDN at a Reliance Web World/Mobile Store.

Q: Where do I get my handset's MEID/ESN registered?
A: You may try contacting the sellers in the Reputer Seller Group On the forum, one can take the help of Moderators.

Q: What is a fair cost to have the MEID/ESN registered?
A: Since there is no defined cost for MEID/ESN registration, the seller may charge a nominal fee for the registration process. A fair cost seen among sellers offering MEID/ESN registration alone (without handset configuration) is around Rs.600 but it will vary depending on the seller.

Q: How do I restore the MEID and configure the handset settings?
A: There is no universal way of restoring MEIDs. The process to restore original MEID will be different for different handsets. Some handsets may restore ESN/MEID with a master/factory reset, however this is not always the case. Some handsets may require only minutes while some handsets will require several hours. You may even end up bricking the handset if you are not sure what you are doing. So the best and easiest way is to get it done by the person who registers your handset's MEID/ESN.

Q: What is a fair cost to get the handset configured over TeamViewer or directly?
A: The cost for the handset configration will vary depending on the seller, the specific handset model, your technical knowledge, etc. I had discussed with several sellers for their opinion and none of them are willing to commit themselves officially due to various limitations. So you have to contact a seller and request help so that the seller can understand your requirement and give you a custom quote for the help with configuration. You may be quoted less if you are technically proficient to handle some of the configurations from your side provided you have the softwares. Some sellers may be able to configure the handset through TeamViewer while some may want you to send the handset via courier or deliver directly. So it basically depends on what you and the seller are comfortable with after discussion. Some sellers may offer to configure it for free if they have time to spare.

Some sellers have to depend on third parties for having the MEID/ESN or EVDO activated, so the time required for this procedure will vary which is one main reason why sellers cannot give a commitment. Please try to get it done through sellers in the forum and avoid new sellers with no feedback as I have received few reports of people (on other platforms like quikr.com, olx.in) being duped or ignored after collecting the money for MEID/ESN registration.

Q: I am technically inclined, have required softwares and am willing to take the risk. Where can I discuss the steps to configure the handset myself once the MEID is registered?
A: Topics for that purpose can be discussed in Topics with the basic steps will be posted in the coming days as it will help both the seller and buyer.

Q: How do I know if the MEID is registered or not?
A: You can check that by sending SMS with format: Eg-GETSTAT RSN# from any active Reliance CDMA handset to 53733, for other operator need to contact network operators customer care.

Q: What is the fair cost for EVDO activation if I want to use data also?
A: Once again, as mentioned earlier there isn't a predetermined cost for EVDO activation. You may contact the seller to find out the price including configuration of the handset.

wbr
CellSoldiers™
Old 01-10-2012, 18:12   #7 (permalink)
Product Supporter

Unfortunately CDMA Operators have not opened door for direct customers
regarding MEID Registration

One need to contact Reputed resellers or members on our forum
Many members are registering MEID.

br,