GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Nokia > Nokia Hardware & Hardware Repair

Nokia Hardware & Hardware Repair all what you need for Hardware Repairing for Nokia Phones. Before writing any thread here try to check the Frequently Asked Questions Section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 22:20   #1 (permalink)

Member: 110818
Thanks Meter: 1
Strange 6680 Problem... 3G Signal?

My 6680 has a wierd problem: It works perfectly fine in GSM (2G) Mode, but when I allow it to connect to a 3G network, it usually connects fine and shows a strong 3G signal. However, it usually won't make any calls or transfer any data. Sometimes I can make a few seconds of a call before it drops out, or open a page or two in the browser. Sometimes it shows no signal at all, but it usually picks it up again fairly quickly. I'm on 3 UK, and the phone is locked, but this problem has persisted with several different 3 sims (PAYT and contract) and also a firmware upgrade (which I had done because I thought it might fix the problem - at least I can lock it to GSM now I've got rid of the 3 fw though.)
Old 06-14-2006, 20:58   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to seem impatient, but surely somebody in this community must have an idea what's up and how to fix it? There seems to be a lot of collective knowledge here on Nokia phones, but I haven't seen any problems like mine.

I see I can get a new antenna on ebay, but I don't really think that's the problem...?

Edit: I just upgraded to 5.04.07 using the method described on this site, and the first time I tried to make a call under 3G it said 'Connection Error', where previously it would just have dropped out before connecting a call, but that might just be a feature of the new firmware version. Oddly, I managed to make a perfectly clear call severl minutes long after that, too, so now I'm even more mystified.

Edit: I'd guess the problem is with Tx, not Rx, since it seems to hold a signal fine until I try to do anything that involves communicating with the network, or am I assuming too much here?

Last edited by Azurael; 06-14-2006 at 21:30.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:52   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 58052
Thanks Meter: 21
3g

Hi mate there does not seem 2 b many profs on the later nokia since u may notice many posts are answered very poorly even some mods cannot supply any support, just take a look at how many posts there regarding signal on 6630-6680-n70 they r not even been answered, CNT problems ape boot problems and u can go on and on lately every second guy is having problems flashing these phones and no support is coming forth so dont expect much help, But yes concering your problem i have noticed on the 6680 once u switch to 3g mode signal is at certain times gone but on normal gsm there is no problem, i discussed this with many guys here working with nokia and according to them 3 g signal is different to gsm signal and that is where the problem is, so i suppose we will have to wait and see what will come of this;

Regards Len
Old 08-02-2006, 00:03   #4 (permalink)

...Bump?

No solution yet?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:40   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 96184
Thanks Meter: 6
the rf section of the phone is built around two RF ASICs, Rx ASIC N7500 and Tx ASIC N7501. there are also two PAs on the board, one for GSM (N7502) and one for WCDMA (N7503). the WCDMA PA needs variable supply voltage to work power efficiently and therefore there is a switched mode power supply (SMPS) component (N7504) added to the PWB.
it sounds like the RSSI signal may be too high- if you know how to test it, if not then the component responsible for this is the crystal 32mhz if i can rememer correctly. this causes calls to drop if it is faulty. to teast it you need to be using phoenix and the test software phone test. you would also need tuning equipment. transmitter functions are implemented in the RF ASIC named VINKU. VINKU contains three seperate RF paths- GSM900, GSM1800/1900 and WCDMA. the CMT flash stores the tuning values. if this is faulty and needs to be replaced then you need to restore the security certificates which very fee can do. what i mean is these components may be at fault, and you need to test the phone using phoenix and phone test to determin what is causing the fault. BB5 reception faults are very difficult to identify and would take for ever explaining it in a reply. personally i would start with the crystal- its easy to replace and is likly to cause the fault. following one of the PAs and diplexer. i can give you much more detail or in a giant nut shell if you email me.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:22   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 96184
Thanks Meter: 6
the rf section of the phone is built around two RF ASICs, Rx ASIC N7500 and Tx ASIC N7501. there are also two PAs on the board, one for GSM (N7502) and one for WCDMA (N7503). the WCDMA PA needs variable supply voltage to work power efficiently and therefore there is a switched mode power supply (SMPS) component (N7504) added to the PWB.
it sounds like the RSSI signal may be too high- if you know how to test it, if not then the component responsible for this is the crystal 32mhz if i can rememer correctly. this causes calls to drop if it is faulty. to teast it you need to be using phoenix and the test software phone test. you would also need tuning equipment. transmitter functions are implemented in the RF ASIC named VINKU. VINKU contains three seperate RF paths- GSM900, GSM1800/1900 and WCDMA. the CMT flash stores the tuning values. if this is faulty and needs to be replaced then you need to restore the security certificates which very fee can do. what i mean is these components may be at fault, and you need to test the phone using phoenix and phone test to determin what is causing the fault. BB5 reception faults are very difficult to identify and would take for ever explaining it in a reply. personally i would start with the crystal- its easy to replace and is likly to cause the fault. following one of the PAs and diplexer. i can give you much more detail or in a giant nut shell if you email me.