GSM-Forum

GSM-Forum (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/)
-   LG (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f177/)
-   -   New to this And V Confused in need of advice (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f177/new-v-confused-need-advice-181539/)

Doofy 01-10-2005 02:10

New to this And V Confused in need of advice

First off hi there. Second my daughter just bought an LGU8120 from some muppet (*** knows why) anyhow, There is no signal and keeps saying emergency calls only. It happily accepts any sim card boots up but still emergency calls only. So if i understand this it has been barred by the iem number, what i would like to know is can nething be done about this or should i bin it and put it down to experience. Any advice greatfully accepted

Many thanks in advance.

pjjacklin 01-10-2005 03:50

:)Hi there see what "search" yields. better put the kettle on as well:)

Doofy 01-10-2005 06:42

Kettles been on all night lol thing is this phone receives texts but thats about all it does, could always use it to prop up the bookcase isuppose :D

bungle_uk 01-10-2005 09:27

Yes its barred mate and if your in the UK (it sounds like it) then its an expensive paperweight :( Try to sell it on eBay or on this or other forums, it can be still used in other countries where it is not barred.
I've not seen any free IMEI changing solution for the LG8120, anyway its very illegal in the UK, and not worth a stretch in the slammer (yes you will get a stretch even for a first offence, thats how keen they are on this matter at the mo')

Sell it mate, and learn a very valuable lesson ;)

Doofy 01-10-2005 13:15

Cheers for that i took your advice and flogged it in ebay got more than she bought it for, so no real harm done and it may learn her in the future

Ace Fones 01-11-2005 18:07

lol - i might do that too!

pjjacklin 01-12-2005 04:22

Hmm in which case I may stop buying phones on Ebay:eek: if this where everyone is going to start dumping their doggy mobiles:D or could it be a cunning plan to recruit more forum members? :D:D

bungle_uk 01-12-2005 05:14

Haven't you heard the terms "untested", "part of a batch", "taken as a trade-in", "sold as seen", "no battery or charger", "appears working" ....... Thats where they end up mate, if you buy faulty phones for spares or repairs from eBay, thats what you can expect ;)

BR

Stamp9 01-12-2005 15:38

Can't comment, as I've done EXACTLY the same as Doofy's daughter - brought a 8120 off Ebay, only to find that it's locked....

Might just keep it for "spares" - for when I buy a NEW 8120 - then I can always get rid of the locked one to one of my American cousins.... :D

Only just joined this board, and it makes interesting reading.... :)

pjjacklin 01-12-2005 22:18

:) must admit I stick to phones with disclosed problems which I think I can sort out. I've bought some 20 phones on Ebay, cos I get a buzz out of trying to unlock them:D I think I've been lucky most of the time as they have been pretty much as described. Except for 1 which was descrbed as having some " slight damage to the case" when I got it, it looked as though it had been chewed by a dog, the arial had been sharpend with a knife and there was a hole in the battery cover large enough to get your finger in!! (none of which was visible on the photo) it also smells as though it has been kept in a buckett of sick:mad:This phone remains in its box .:)

Spawn Killer 01-14-2005 12:28

Hello doofy and welcome to the forums m8, they are plenty of peeps around in here will help you, but you seem to be sortet