GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Nokia > Nokia Multimedia

Nokia Multimedia No Unlocking or Flashing Programs here, this section for Ringtones, Wallpaper and other media Files and Windows/Java/Symbian games and applications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2003, 04:28   #1 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 3360
Thanks Meter: 4
Making your alert tone "speak"

Just an idea (changing the alert tone once was just an idea and some said it was imposible).

Background:
I remember the late 80's (or was it early 90's) we were once using an NEC computer and a TRS- model 80 computer, on the age where sound card was unheard of and the only audio output of the computer is the lowly 3" internal speaker.

We (my classmates and I) were amazed when we downloaded from an international BBS (we were using short-wave radio BBS at that time, internet was still unpopular) a utility for PC-DOS (MS- DOS codes was still being "pirated" by Bill Gates) that allows a user to type-in phonemes and let the pc speaker say it. I remember it was typing "TALK WHUN" ans the speaker say's ONE. Typing "TALK HEE-LL-LOW" and the speaker says "HELLO".

That was made in 8080 assembler and it runs on TRS-80 and I think also on NEC computer.

Back to the present:
Well, the changing of alert tone to sound like a ring tone is getting so common nowadays that sometimes you no longer know if it's your phone sounding your alert or somebody else's phone is ringing.

As of now, we can do special sound effects on our tones (like whistle or a modem-sound). So the question is, can we do "talking" effects on our phones?

What the future holds:
Wouldn't it be nice if you have an incoming message and your phone sound off like "BEEP-BEEP YOU'VE GOT MESSAGE".

Or maybe an incoming call and your phone goes "BEEP-BEEP INCOMING CALL"

Anyway, it's just an idea

PS: I tried searching by internet where in the computer-world that particular utility be now so I could study its assembler code and maybe insert it on the phone's MCU code. After all, we can now insert codes that could "kill" the FAID-checking on the phone and redirect pointers to other areas on the MCU/PPM.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:37   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 3156
Thanks Meter: 63
ice d. is speaking of "speaking dct3" lets see what the future hold!

hey, ice i'm missin' ur "keyboard not found, press F1 to con't." signature.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:44   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 3360
Thanks Meter: 4
Quote:
Originally posted by d_bug

hey, ice i'm missin' ur "keyboard not found, press F1 to con't." signature.
Oh yeah, thanks. Modifying my profile now
Old 07-15-2003, 07:43   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 20069
Thanks Meter: 131
Ice Dragon

sir , it's realy good idea of "Making your alert tone "speak" " i think it's not impossible ...coz there is already a bird's voice ringtone i heard in nokia 3310 ... so keepitup amigo

Gracias
Old 07-15-2003, 23:52   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Member: 3188
Thanks Meter: 2,394
ur Idea is good if any only if

1- Modified the MCU AND PPM for this
2- in most Cases u've to Changed the Buzzer.

I know that The first one is easy for u
u need to read about Voice range of Freq.s only

but now lets talk about the most Bad part of the game

u remember old 8088 Computers used a 8 ohm Paper Cone Acoustic Speaker to cover all Audio Frequencies for human Ear (20 Hz =~ 20Khz) thats why u can hear a human Voice. and to be Correct this is a Simulated Human voice as u know.

but let see whats on the current case in Mobile phone buzzer.
There is a 16-32 ohm Metal Film cone Speaker to cover a Selective area of Frequencies only =~ 2-4 Khz
so thats why we can't make any Nokia Talk unless u Change the Kindf this small range speaker buzzer.

in some cases like 7650 & 3650..ext there is another Kind of Speaker cone its not a Paper like Normal Speakers or metal like old phones ..but its a Plastic Cone. in most cases it can't give us the Full Range, but at least u can hear a better quality voice from it.

if u need my Opinion ..
try to change the Buzzer to an Equivalent external speaker first and im sure u'll get some thing very interesting after changing the MCU PPM with ur Idea.

Ps: Male voice range (0.5 - 1.5 Khz) & Female (1 - 2 Khz)
so u can test with current buzzer and u'll hear a Female voice but with low Amplitude..

BR
AboAli
Old 02-15-2005, 10:43   #6 (permalink)

Member: 97321
Thanks Meter: 0
yeah, cool idea. at least we can personalize the alert tones now so it's not so bad. we don't just get beep-beep, there's at least 60 tones to choose from!