GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Samsung > Samsung Hardware Repair

Samsung Hardware Repair Post here your Hardware Repairing Hints or Problems with Samsung Phones.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2017, 15:02   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 2709407
Thanks Meter: 15
Galaxy s4 i9500 wont turn on (maybe ic is dead?)

hi, every1,
the phone that i am trying to fix does not turn on, i am not to sure if its the ic chip,

i have noticed 2 things,
i will start with the first
in the service manual (http://www.lcd-television-repair.com...Samsung-S4.pdf) for the board it says that if the phone does not turn on u have to search for the C665 and C664 ,i pluged the battary and when checking the voltage on C664 it is showing the voltage of the battery (around 3.8+-) when checking the C665 it shows 0 voltage, does it mean the ic is not functioning or just the ceramic chip is bad?
this was the first question,
second question,
i have removed the power switch after that i was checking the pads, the ground and the right side of the pad which is connected to R1009 they do not have a continuity btw them heres a pic of what i meant http://image.prntscr.com/image/cd20e...4bc89850e6.png, to be clear what i mean, i took the multimeter set it to continuity and check the 2 pads they needed to make a sound , but no sound was made ,
what could be here the problem?

when i pushed the power button nothing happened no signal not even when i put the battery or plug it into the charger, i've been watching this video https://*********/2l_6fwzuIwA?t=543 where he shows that in a normal working button the ground and the right side of the button should have a continuity , but in my case there is none. i checked the continuity on these pads when no battery was attached. (i have removed the power switch and checked right on the pads) here a more cleared pic http://i.imgur.com/FGCfntw.jpg?
i have also checked the resistance on C665 with the multimeter set on mode 2k , one side start at 1.2k but then drop to 0.24 (240 ish) and the other side is 0 which is ground
what do u think i should do?

thanks alot for ur help.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:24   #2 (permalink)
orx
No Life Poster

Member: 1825965
Thanks Meter: 874
hi
ceck power with power supply, if you've 0,1 /0,2 mah normally faulty pmic (pm8917) ..try to replace it NOT reball.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:59   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orx View Post
hi
ceck power with power supply, if you've 0,1 /0,2 mah normally faulty pmic (pm8917) ..try to replace it NOT reball.
Hi thanks for replying
I didn't understand
Which chip do I check for 0,1/0,2 mah?

I am interested to know (and learn) What make u think its the pmic and not the C665 or C664 or R1009 or the ic (S2MPS11)?
(And I don't have pm8917 chip on my phone)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:25   #4 (permalink)
orx
No Life Poster

on i9505 LTE variant S4 pmic is Pm8917..anyway check for power ic in schematic..also check caps for short around power manager ic
Old 04-23-2017, 13:13   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Quote:
on i9505 LTE variant S4 pmic is Pm8917..anyway check for power ic in schematic..also check caps for short around power manager ic
The phone I have is i9500
I did check the C665 and C664 which is recommended to check in the service manual. (Which I mention in the first post)

From ur understanding and knowledge why there is not continuity on the power button?

How do I check if the caps are shorted
Old 04-23-2017, 14:52   #6 (permalink)
orx
No Life Poster

Use multimeter :
Set multimeter in continuity and with probe on cap . If beep is short..although for testing if low value you need capacimeter..
Old 04-23-2017, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Quote:
Use multimeter :
Set multimeter in continuity and with probe on cap . If beep is short..although for testing if low value you need capacimeter..
i checked all caps on board and every1 of them shorts.. it seems normal to me when they are all connected to the board..
i mean if ur suggestion is to remove each and everycap to find out which one is the faulty one its going to be mess and i am not to sure if will be able to resolder all the smallest caps..
i need help to diagnose the problem before removing anything (beside what i did on the power button) , after diagnosing the problem we would have a better guess on what to remove and how to fix it.
i dont have a capacimeter.

do u mind answering my other questions ?
Which chip do I check for 0,1/0,2 mah (and how)?
From ur understanding and knowledge why there is not continuity on the power button?

Quote:
when i pushed the power button nothing happened no signal not even when i put the battery or plug it into the charger, i've been watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_6fwzuIwA&t=543s where he shows that in a normal working button the ground and the right side of the button should have a continuity , but in my case there is none. i checked the continuity on these pads when no battery was attached. (i have removed the power switch and checked right on the pads) here a more cleared pic http://i.imgur.com/FGCfntw.jpg?
i have also checked the resistance on C665 with the multimeter set on mode 2k , one side start at 1.2k but then drop to 0.24 (240 ish) and the other side is 0 which is ground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_6fwzuIwA&t=543s
Old 04-24-2017, 07:00   #8 (permalink)
orx
No Life Poster

" i checked all caps on board and everyone of them shorts " ??
ceck image .for power ic my mistake,i9500 is different from Lte version i9505
i9500.JPG
Old 04-24-2017, 12:56   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Quote:
" i checked all caps on board and everyone of them shorts " ??
ceck image .for power ic my mistake,i9500 is different from Lte version i9505
Attachment 357136
hi,
thanks alot for the picture.
when i set the multimeter to continuity mode , and check the continuity on each side of the caps they all make sounds (on the multimeter)

i also checked the power switch and it is on 3.94v IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lTI8H2F.png[/IMG]

by the way, i found a working s4 i9500, and it seems that the caps (C665 and C664) function the same way.

Last edited by does12; 04-24-2017 at 13:03.