GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Samsung > Samsung Hardware Repair

Samsung Hardware Repair Post here your Hardware Repairing Hints or Problems with Samsung Phones.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 00:13   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2673482
Thanks Meter: 0
Samsung s4 overheating help

Hi everyone, my samsung s4 won't turn on, it won't charge and it won't be connect by USB.
I've changed the battery but this did not help.

At one point i managed to turn it on but within minutes got an error message saying the phone was overheating and that it would be shut down.

Possible issues could be faulty power on button?
faulty battery connectors?
or short circuit/faulty ic connector?

Because overheating is the main symptom, whats it most likely to be? I have limited tools to work with, whats the best way to approach figuring out this issue?
Old 01-17-2017, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
orx
No Life Poster

Member: 1825965
Thanks Meter: 874
Hello
Ceck near small Power IC max77803 if some caps are short ,same thing near big power IC pm8917and maybe you must replace one of these ic's..Download i9505 schematic for any ideas..
Still ceck this post:

forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f258/i9500-i9505-not-power-hardware-1747710/index2.html
Old 01-18-2017, 10:18   #3 (permalink)

Member: 2673983
Thanks Meter: 5
Just locate the part which is overheating and if that is an ic you have to replace that ic. But i think that is because of power ic.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:50   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcet68 View Post
Just locate the part which is overheating and if that is an ic you have to replace that ic. But i think that is because of power ic.
Hi, if it were the actual power iC, surely it wouldn't have turned on again? it would just be dead if it were power IC?

I can feel heat from over the other side near the power management IC and will try to test the capacitors near that area.

Is there any way to replace them without soldering/desoldering? as i'm really not experienced with this. If i remove any of the capacitors, will the phone work if they aren't replaced?

thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:52   #5 (permalink)
orx
No Life Poster

hi
normally if you have short capacitors near pmic 80% problem is pmic..you must ceck capacitors with multimeter and ceck if continuity or no continuity . If continuity it's short not necessary for test desoldering capacitors .
If u don't have skill in soldering ic or components stop ..i advice experts for this job is not easy..
Old 01-20-2017, 15:57   #6 (permalink)

Just an update. I can't get any resistance measurement when using the multimeter on the battery terminals.

I tried testing the resistance of one capacitator near max77803 and just above this right under the camera, the little white box sort of sparked as i tried doing this.

what is the little white box under the camera? why did it spark?

i've tried many local phone repair places for soldering/desoldering and nobody wants to give it a go :/
Old 01-20-2017, 16:34   #7 (permalink)
orx
No Life Poster

the small "white box " is the flash module.. bro this is no easy argument you must find and to learn basic lesson ..you find here in the forum or on line for mobile repair ..hours , hours of attempt , you tube videos etc etc..
Old 01-20-2017, 22:59   #8 (permalink)

I put the battery in and then tested voltage on the terminals, battery terminals are working ok.

I'm testing the continuity by putting the negative to ground and using the positive to test all the caps around power IC and around max77803.

when i put the positive to either side of the cap it gives each side a reading. I know caps have high resistance - most are reading in the 800/900 range so i presume this is ok?

Still unsure about when it beeps during resistance as i've read a beeping on the capacitator doesn't mean its bad as something else in the circuit could be pulling it to ground?

I've had it under a microscope any cannot detect any physical deformities on any of the caps.

So far i've been reading the forums, looking at youtube videos, looking at schematics. A few weeks ago i knew nothing about any of these things so its very much a learning curve for me thankyou for your help so far.
Old 01-22-2017, 00:10   #9 (permalink)

If the capasitors, resistors and other components near the power ic are also overheating, the problem is not those components, the problem is that power IC. Why? Because when the power ic becomes heat of course the other components are going to become heat also, but they are not actually over heating. Try to remove that IC and after removing just put the battery to the battery connector for at least 10-15 and remove the battery and check if the overheating issue is still there. I am sorry for my bad English :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to hcet68 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:26   #10 (permalink)

About a week ago, the phone was recognised by the charger, and thats when the overheating message came up.

Now it cannot be recognised by the charger, its very difficult to know where the heat is coming from.

I've put the actual battery against the battery terminals/connector but nothing is standing out heat wise.

Three caps are showing up short around power IC - c838, L800. , c854. I have read different things online, some say these caps have become short because the power ic has gone and to just replace power ic. Others say to try and replace caps first before moving onto power ic?
Old 01-22-2017, 14:43   #11 (permalink)
orx
No Life Poster

as I already wrote,if some caps around Pmic are short, at 80% you must replace PMIC ..
for to have a proof can desoldered cap and put the tester probes on pitches where before there was cap / caps .. if these give continuity , beep beep, is not a cap but other .

It is to rule on this forum that if someone helps or helped you put a thanks.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:04   #12 (permalink)

If there are three busted capasitors, try to replace those caps first before trying to replace the pm ic. Sometimes, cellphone becomes dead because of the shorted capasitors near in the power ic.
The Following User Says Thank You to hcet68 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 10:16   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcet68 View Post
If there are three busted capasitors, try to replace those caps first before trying to replace the pm ic. Sometimes, cellphone becomes dead because of the shorted capasitors near in the power ic.
one of them is a capacitor, two are inductors. Does this make any difference? best try moving the capacitor first and see what happens? Both the inductors are showing lower resistance than the others nearby. Thanks for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by orx View Post
It is to rule on this forum that if someone helps or helped you put a thanks.
You've already been thanked twice, see my posts above!!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:02   #14 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 2602890
Sonork: NOTINSTALLED
Thanks Meter: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooney17 View Post
Hi everyone, my samsung s4 won't turn on, it won't charge and it won't be connect by USB.
I've changed the battery but this did not help.

At one point i managed to turn it on but within minutes got an error message saying the phone was overheating and that it would be shut down.

Possible issues could be faulty power on button?
faulty battery connectors?
or short circuit/faulty ic connector?

Because overheating is the main symptom, whats it most likely to be? I have limited tools to work with, whats the best way to approach figuring out this issue?

on s4

short circute main cuase is wifi bt ic

check it

i hav got plenty of it

its onthe rght corner
Old 01-24-2017, 09:06   #15 (permalink)

what is the status of your unit now bro? did you solve the issue?