GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Sony Ericsson > Sony Ericsson Hardware Repair

Sony Ericsson Hardware Repair Post here your Hardware Repairing Hints or Problems with SonyEricsson and Sony Phones.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 02:38   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2763290
Thanks Meter: 0
Z1 Compact D5503 dead, makes heat only

Hello! I normally don't like asking for help but if anyone has first hand experience with the D5503 hardware I could really use your assistance.. please!

So, this phone had a hard life. Multiple drops and low battery and overheat shutdowns. Screen was finally broken (display was ok-ish but no touch input) and while I was waiting for a replacement screen and battery to show up it shut off during use (a micro usb mouse was used in lieu of touch).

I replaced the screen first and tried to connect/charge via pc usb. Nothing works, no lights or vibration. Phone got very hot to the touch. Tried wall charger after it cooled down. Same result.

Next day the battery came and was installed. Same result.

Then, because I don't know any better, I removed the battery and tried to connect via pc usb. Motherboard gets very hot near what I assume is the CPU (almost dead center of motherboard).

I would like to add that this phone was dropped hard and often enough to knock 2 of the frame screws out of their holes (they were found stuck to the back cover adhesive, which was also loose).

So, aside from any amateur mistakes I'm sure I made, is there any hope for this thing? My only goal at this point is to recover a few things from the memory.

Are there any drawings available of this motherboard?
Has anyone had a problem like this before?
I saw a youtube video showcasing the removal of a cap on a fullsize Z1 (no url handy, sorry) is the hardware similar?

It seems like it should be an obvious short circuit to make as much heat as it does and how quickly. I'm probably just going to test as many caps, diodes and resistors as I can identify but some direction would be wholly appreciated!

Please be patient with me? I'm a noob...
I work with automotive electronics regularly but rarely do board level repairs (especially on surface mount stuff). I have tools so replacing screens and batteries is within my skill level usually, and I figure I know enough to test the components if I have an idea where to look.

Oh, and the phone has already been replaced so "get a new one" isn't really a viable answer, thanks. Any other help is much appreciated.