GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Product Support Sections > No More Supported Solutions (Dead Products) > No More Supported H/W Products > NSPRO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 20:34   #1 (permalink)

Member: 1982137
Thanks Meter: 0
Weird n7000 (galaxy note)

A very weird n7000 - I got one today just when I was leaving and I did not have a chance to use Nspro on it yet - but when I got home I wanted to test it quickly with what I had home since I could not believe what the guy was saying about it.

Bottom line - tested about 4-5 SIMs in it (all that I had handy) - it was looking just as it was SIM-locked on CNX (Vodafone Romania, 22601 code) and it was working with one specific Vodafone postpay SIM, but it was NOT working with any other SIM I had - including 2 prepay and 1 postpay Vodafone (that otherwise are working perfectly). The strange part it was that on all those SIMs it wasn't asking for network unlock code or anything - it was just saying that there was no SIM.

But the strangest part was with another O2 prepay SIM that I also had at home - on that one it was asking for network unlock!

The phone was on 2.3.6 XXLA6 modem XXLA4 (a version that also seemed CNX specific) and since I did not have any simple root for that 2.3.6 I decided to update to the latest 4.1.2 CNX-specific (XXLT5 modem XXLT3) on which there is a signed recovery (can be written from Samsung recovery) which automatically provides root. And all worked OK - but it was still not able to see any of the CNX SIMs. I backed-up the EFS and then I fixed the network lock from the EFS (network code was 22601, made it unlocked). But of course it is still claiming it can not see any SIM with any of my Vodafone SIMs

But again the strange part was with the O2 SIM - which now was no longer asking for network unlock code but instead is working just fine and I could initiate calls from it even if it was roaming!

So the big question is - is there anything extra-weird-lock with the modem that is some extra SIM check? Or what else? Tomorrow morning I will try to see what Nspro is saying about this one - since now I am really curious
Old 08-11-2013, 14:44   #2 (permalink)

Member: 1982137
Thanks Meter: 0
Update - at work it become clear that it was not some strange protection but instead a hardware/mechanical problem - the SIM reader was only working with a thick SIM and was not working ok with the thin/normal ones - for instance the O2 SIM from above was a microSIM used with an adaptor.