GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Product Support Sections > No More Supported Solutions (Dead Products) > No More Supported H/W Products > Sonics Box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 15:49   #1 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2785
Thanks Meter: 0
evaluation/review of Sonics Box

after being away for a couple of time, and after a couple of months using this box, i think i can now place a "final" judgment about this piece of hardware:

for those who don't know it already, sonics box is a sonyericsson hardware made for flashing/unlocking/repairing. although now it supports other brands, it's mostly a se box.

right now, supported phones are:

old se (r/t/p series) - via divusb
new se (k/s/v/z series) - via sonics setools
lg 3g (se hardware) - via sonics setools
philips (3xx/5xx/6xx/8xx) - via philips tools

for more information about supportted models, visit www.sonicsbox.com

enough with the intro. now for the "review":

many people complain and attack sonics for being an SETool clone (www.setool.net) + div clone + old ufs/griffin clone all-in-one. as a matter of fact, i do believe it's partially true, since divusb has been cloned a long time ago, and i don't believe zulea is behind the div rights of this box. also old samsung + nokia soft (available from old support of ufobox, although not officially supported) look ALOT like Griffin Nokia and ALOT like Twister/UFS Samsung soft.

so, if there are clones inside these box, only the authors can confirm.

also, and more directly to the core of the box, the new sonyericsson tool also looks alike the SETool and has exactly the same features, so you can expect to do with this one just about the same you would do with a twister+setool license, with the huge advantage of not being limited to a specific hardware fingerprint.

about the softs, lets go one by one:

divusb: very unstable with certain phones. can't boot alot of T610/T630 (with or without RSA). it's mostly an inherited feature, since original divusb also had this problems. if you can boot, your phone, everything works like a charm, so once booted, no problems found so far

sonics se tools: this is the core of the box. with this, you can unlock, repair, flash, customize, read/write gdfs ... all you could ask. it only lacks the abillity to create upgrade flashes (so you can update a firmware without loosing all data). the only problem with this program is in the gdfs part, in which i get errors in many phones. reading gdfs in first versions was no problem, but in the most recent versions, i can't seem to create a single gdfs backup of K700 and K500 phones. maybe a fix in the next versions can solve this issue.
you can also unlock flash LG3G phones (which basically are SE phones inside). until now, no problems found using lg option, but then again, i have flashed only one unit.

philips tools: philips are not much popular in my country, so i don't have much experience with this part of the software, although a couple of 330 and 825 already went down with this box, and it was all ok. i haven't flashed any philips unit yet, so no comments on that department.

old nokia/old samsung ufo soft: besides working ok with some supported phones i tested, i'll not have any further comments on that, since it's not official software for the sonics.

drivers: here is the major flaw (which is good, since it's not a big issue at all), and in my opinion, the reason why gdfs can't be readed and some T630 can't boot in div. the drivers are inconsistent. they are not stable. in some pc's you can install the default drivers, in other you have to install some "modified" drivers, so the box can be recognized. and even then, you may experience some stabillity issues, like a K700 not booting after trying 4 or 5 times, and by changing usb port everything goes fine, and after a while, you'll have to change to the first port, because the actual is not letting the phone boot too.

in resume:

- this is a great box for SE + LG3G + some Philips if you need to use it in more than one computer, and it's perfect if unlocking is the mostly used feature. for flashing is very nice too, but due to stabillity problems, you may have to try booting a couple of times, which will make the process take longer (and you don't want to keep your *******r waiting). LG3G and Philips are great add-ons for a box in this price range, and we would like to see a couple of more brands being implemented, since i'm sure this box has a great potential and with a little more stabillity in drivers and software, you could make even a more generic box.

- what's really TERRIBLE is the support server speeds. they can go as low as 1KB/s, but i'm sure the company is doing it's best to find an affordable but fast server for us all (although latelly i can reach 10KB/s in most days i need to download from the support).

i'll leave a suggestion: since this a such a low consumption hardware, why don't you try to make a ubs-com emulation (like a virtual comport)? it would be nice for us to use other softs with your box.

so here you have my vision. please note that this is just an opinion of my particular case. i hope everyone finds this post usefull, as for current users, for future users and for the creators, so they can improve the box.
Old 05-16-2005, 16:09   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 24023
Sonork: 100.61317
Thanks Meter: 2,630
Donate money to this user
sonic box is the best box
and rocket clip is good clip ,if will support other model like nokia motorolla and.....
will be greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt Clip
Old 05-16-2005, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 8353
Sonork: 113276
Thanks Meter: 335
Donate money to this user
SonicsBox is working good and its users are satisfied with it!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 21:12   #4 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 70045
Sonork: 100.80221
Thanks Meter: 30
sonics box is the best box realy

B.R
Mony.Never.Die
Www.MonyMobileService.coM
Old 05-16-2005, 22:27   #5 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 22955
Sonork: 67574 - Not use it
Thanks Meter: 584
Sonic box is just an SETOOL clone.Nokia, Philips and Samsung softs are completely non working.
Sonic box is also a dead box, because SETOOL will no longer have lacks in security.
SETOOL dongle is ready, and I must say that everyone that buy this lante's product will not be able to unlock new cid36 phones ...
Why?
Because Redeagle will no longer be able to copy-paste anything from SETOOL.

So story is over.Sonic customers will stay without further support.

Bye, bye...
Old 05-17-2005, 01:35   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 38039
Thanks Meter: 6
@Dark Lemming
Thanks for your impersonal evaluations and remarks. We'll try our best...
best regards
Sonics Team
Old 05-17-2005, 04:56   #7 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 38039
Thanks Meter: 6
@mobileland
This is SONICS BOX forum. I think that i'd remind you that you've promised that you would never talk nonsense here a few days ago. Could you control yourself like a man?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:17   #8 (permalink)
DMD
No Life Poster

Member: 12660
Thanks Meter: 7
@ Redeagle

To date I have had no problem with your box, except for bugs in older software versions but thats expected.

Keep up the good work

Regards D.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:09   #9 (permalink)
arash111

Member:
@redeagle

where is updates, why did you stop it?
setool2 stop the updates and revisions, so do you .. wierd isn't it?

hmm wierd, you guys add 'z800_r1y005' a week or two - after setool and after that NO updates for SE.

there is nothing more to explain, a picture say more than thousand words.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (27.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 05-17-2005, 08:35   #10 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 78367
Thanks Meter: 11
hoping also for z500a unlock and flash.............

thnx in adv
Old 05-18-2005, 05:38   #11 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 4021
Thanks Meter: 782
only problem for me with sonics box is.. it cant unlock z500a... and darklemming is right your server really *****!!! its very slow!!! but when it comes to unlocking other SE, sonics for me is the best. very fast and reliable and also for lg phones.. never tried with philips yet..
Old 09-30-2005, 22:06   #12 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 30402
Sonork: 100.108200
Thanks Meter: 8
it just clone of SE TOOLS. This box is not good... just the name is good (for publicity)

if u want good tools for SE then buy CRUISER or SE TOOLS or both .