GSM-Forum

GSM-Forum (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/)
-   Nokia Base Band 5 ( BB-5 ) (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f299/)
-   -   Flash BB5 to original Nokia firmware without Phoenix! (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f299/flash-bb5-original-nokia-firmware-without-phoenix-344689/)

behemot_behemot 10-30-2006 19:19

Flash BB5 to original Nokia firmware without Phoenix!

Hello,
As you might know, Nokia Software Update lets you upgrade your phone's firmware, but it will keep your operator's personalization (and revert to it, even if you flashed the phone to a non-branded firmware with Phoenix before).
ExpertGSM published a new method on a french site (www.forummobiles.com) in order to "trick" NSU so that the phone's firmware will be upgraded with the latest original Nokia firmware.
Here is the translation I've done for this tutorial - just keep in mind that you have to correctly identify (based on a firmware file for your BB5 phone) the correct product code for your country and phone model.

Here’s a tutorial that will teach you how to update your phone’s firmware to a Nokia original version (without your operator’s personalization) with NSU (Nokia Software Update – the official Nokia program).
NSU reads the product code of your phone and it searches its database for a newer version of the corresponding firmware in order to upgrade it. This is why you will need to change the product code of your phone into a non-branded product code, before running NSU.
Download the « NSS » software in order to change the phone’s product code. This is a shareware program that you can download on the site of its author here : http://bphreaks.brinkster.net/files/NSS/NSS10373b.zip
After that, download the following program: http://rapidshare.com/files/1236869/Copie_de_gsm-magic.rar.html (this is not a crack, but a program that allows the activation of any disabled option on no matter what program).
And finally, download NSU here: http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/softwareupdate.

NOW WE CAN BEGIN:
Install NSS
Install NSU
Connect your phone and wait for Windows to install the drivers.
Open NSS and click on “Scan for new device” on the right-upper part of the window
Click on the icon « Phone info »
Click on “Scan”
Open « gsm-magic » without closing NSS, then push the button « Enable » of “gsm-magic”.
As you can see, now you can change the product code (on the right of the « phone info » window of NSS). For a Nokia 6680, type the product code 0521637 (this is the product code for France!) and then mark the case “Enable”.
Now press “Write”, and your phone’s product code will be changed (you might think that nothing happened, because the phone is still in normal mode, and the changing of the product code only takes a couple of seconds, but don’t worry, the product code changed !).
Close NSS and “gsm-magic” and you can proceed now with the NSU flashing.
When the flashing with NSU is over, start-up your phone and you’ll have the pleasant surprise that your phone’s firmware is the latest Nokia non-branded firmware in date!

NOTE: I advise you to disable any antivirus and firewall on your PC during the flashing.

In order to find out the product code for other phone models, download the firmware for your phone model, connect your phone to NSS, click « Scan », then « Flash », and after that look for your product code when on « Market » you will see your country. Write down this number, then you can start the manipulation as described above. Anyway, we will soon have the product codes for all the models, so we won’t need this step.

EXPERTGSM

da123 10-31-2006 17:20

Good info. Just to add, the Nokia flash files come with a Readme that lists all product codes and descriptions in the package, so it's easy to choose one of the product codes to switch to without guessing.

vertz 10-31-2006 17:51

thanks for the info mate, it's really a big help for us.

kabuki 10-31-2006 20:52

Only a simple cuestion if I do that in BB5 (Nokia 6131 - Movistar Spain) I obtain a free phone for use with any operator?, or only my phone have the original firm from Nokia Database??..

Thanks in advance.

loneunlocker 10-31-2006 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabuki (Post 2062489)
Only a simple cuestion if I do that in BB5 (Nokia 6131 - Movistar Spain) I obtain a free phone for use with any operator?, or only my phone have the original firm from Nokia Database??..

Thanks in advance.

if you mean "free" as in unlocked then no .
the handset is only genericly flashed NOT unlocked.:D

kabuki 10-31-2006 21:42

Thanks for the fast notice.

Regards from Spain.

-=KaYaK=- 11-01-2006 17:59

1 Attachment(s)
My Orange branded N70 succesfuly unbranded/updated!

"Respect" from Poland!!!

behemot_behemot 11-01-2006 22:51

great to hear that you succeeded, kayak!

delilah 11-02-2006 15:28

first class post with instructions excellent work

delilah

dhendriksen 11-02-2006 16:19

I have done this, and it worked great except my keyboard changed. It went from QWERTY, to AZERTY! I found a product code that worked for the keys main functions, but the sub functions are wrong (ie: symbols and such). I was going to try and describe my keyboard and find a product code to match, but here is a possibly better idea. If I understand this right, I could replace the keyboard, and get the appropriate code for the keyboard. This way I could get rid of the Chinese letters on q, w, e, a, and s. Is this correct? I appreciate your vast knowledge and input, I am glad I found this forum!

dhendriksen 11-02-2006 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by da123 (Post 2062140)
Good info. Just to add, the Nokia flash files come with a Readme that lists all product codes and descriptions in the package, so it's easy to choose one of the product codes to switch to without guessing.

Where did you find this?

behemot_behemot 11-03-2006 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhendriksen (Post 2065610)
Where did you find this?

you may give a try with emule - there are a lot of "exe" firmware packages, and when you install this, you'll get what da123 was talking about.

behemot_behemot 11-03-2006 08:44

it looks like I can't edit my first post.
actually, there's no need of gsm-magic anymore.
all you have to do is install this new version for NSS which allows the changing of the product code: http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/files/NSS/NSS10383.zip,
and then proceed with NSU.

Lomnica_city 11-03-2006 16:25

Yup,I forgot to tell you that,but I figured that out few days ago,but Serbian forums were my priority and I forgot to say to the others here that latest version of NSS doesn't need that crack (or cheat) and this makes the process of changing the code faster and easier!!
It would be nice to make a list of product codes for some areas,and in your first thread above this one I gave a list of 4 product codes for N70 and N72 for entire Balkans area (which covers nealy 10 countries) and now others should help out!?
Pozdrav :cool:

desgrassia69 11-03-2006 17:29

N70 product codes

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

here I am attaching all N70 readme files for packs 8.xx. inside you can find all the product codes

i.e.

- RM84_50616203_V2.V01 Euro-1
*0523737 Euro-1
*0522157 Euro-1
*0533531 Euro-1
*0523980 France
*0523982 France
*0533652 France
*0523985 Alps
*0523986 Alps
*0533653 Alps

0523737 is one product key for Euro-1

and so on

you can find readme files when you install the package, they will be put inside the Product folder in program files\nokia\phoenix\products\rm-84 (for example)

I renamed them 'cause I use to save them together with .exe package installers

hope this helps ;)