GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Sony Ericsson > Old Ericsson Phones & Sony Phones

Old Ericsson Phones & Sony Phones ALL Ericsson OR SONY Phones are here, you Can't Find "SonyEricsson" in there. only SONY old phones or Ericsson old Phones.. do we need to say it again :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2003, 20:30   #1 (permalink)

Member: 44900
Thanks Meter: 0
Stange problem on t39

Hi,

For some reason the t39 i have here ****s batteries. Sounds odd. It started with the original blewing. Measured all connections but no live in the battery at all. Insered a new battery and the phone charged again and could be turned on again. I tested the phone with a Sim card and I called someone, alle perfect. But after a while the phone blew the battery again. A new replacement battery did the exact same thing.
Everything goes well, but then after a while it ****s the battery. After that. The battery gives completely zero voltage. I had a ****n battery with acid coming out from a motorola v66 but that still gave a bit voltage.

Has anyone got a clue?
Old 12-09-2003, 19:38   #2 (permalink)

Member: 44536
Cool

1st use original charger, a lot of compatible ones are not suitable due to overvoltage - this T39m or T39mc charges @ 5V dc +/- 10%.

It seems like the most probable cause is that somehow or rather your handset is shorting or drainning the battery flat, fast. Similar problems are found in the T28s/sc/w/z where the PA defect causes the handset to overheat - shorting the batt. T28 resistance measured @ the h/phones batt contacts :.: (test leds on the outer pins) should read 400ohms anything significantly lesser could mean trouble with the PA. Symtoms includes heat building up fast at the top back of phone at the moment a newly charged batt is inserted into the batt bay with switch on or even off. Lookout for this. Just suggesting a clue for you. Cheerio.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:22   #3 (permalink)

Thanx for your reply. Seemes this question is beating everyone here. Or everyone is ignoring me.

While is was awaiting a reply on this issue, it tested some more and indeed it is a short. When you connect a new battery a tremendous heat is build op. I tried with a accupack of 2000 ma wired the cables so i could measure the voltages, but never came to that. The wires were corrded already after 5 seconds and the voltage of the battery's dropped from 3.6 to 2.8 in 10 seconds.

Due to this shortage, the batterys will be dead. Or not? Can a good t39 recharge them or are they simple goners?

Sorry for asking, but what's the PA and is it replacable (probably not since it will be an IC or not?).

In the meanwhile i'll be searching for inside views of this phone.

Many thanx for your answer...........
Old 12-12-2003, 22:21   #4 (permalink)

PA is Power Amplifier, the usual culprit for most problems found in the Ericsson handfones. The removal and replacement of the PA is usually done with a Hot Air Gun used by electronic techies to remove surface mounted chips, @ 250-400 degrees C, with airflow from 2 to 5 units and a specific time duration. Well the suggested settings varies from users' experience / screwup. Found in forums here.

After you remove the PA, check the resistance of the battery terminals again, if it is not significantly below 400ohms / close to zero, PA is the culprit!

The PA chip (small square black chip) is usually found @ the top-back of the motherboard adjacent to the vibrator motor in the T28. T39m, I don't know but I guess its about the same location. For full details - pics/ manuals, key in the FCC Id of your hp(found in one of the labels) at this website : http://www.fcc.gov/searchtools.html (what you'll get would **** you away). Very detailed.

You may recover your battery function if you are able to charge it. Indication in a good host handfone (red led on top of face, turns green when fully charged). No lite, batt gone to heaven.
Old 01-05-2004, 20:26   #5 (permalink)

I serarched myself blind for the FCC id of this phone, but i couldn't find it.

I did find a drawing of the board, but can't locate the PA.

i suspect the PA is split in to two different units.

Maybe one of you guys can point the thing out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic00402.jpg (70.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 01-06-2004, 19:28   #6 (permalink)

Try this link:
http://hk.geocities.com/haha298/T39_No_Network.htm
Old 01-07-2004, 01:30   #7 (permalink)

Thanxx. Now I got a new aim.

I'll try to find out if this one is damaged...

Many thanxx!!