GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Samsung > SWIFT Platform

SWIFT Platform D500, D508, D510, D600, D608, D800, D820, E340, E350, E640, E730, E760, T309, T809.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 02:03   #1 (permalink)

Member: 848614
Thanks Meter: 0
Red face Replacing LCD On D500...Help Please!!

Hi, I am new to these forums so please excuse me if I have posted this incorrectly.

In trying to be clever and help a friend out after seeing a video on how it is done....I need the knowledge of someone who knows what he is doing!!

I am trying to replace the lcd screen in the phone from a donor phone (whose screen is perfect) and have done the following:

1 - Removed Battery
2 - Unscrewed four screws and taken back plate off.
3 - Lifted first pcb and disconnected ribbon.
4 - Unscrewed slider mechanism and removed.

I got this far and then thought that as the screen was in place on the donor phone it was pointless removing it from the pcb it was attached to, so I then proceeded to re-fit the slider, pcb (from phone with broken screen), and all other parts ensuring the ribbons were firmly in place.

After doing this I get absolutely nothing!! The phone will not switch on at all.

What have I done wrong?? Can you mix the pcb's or do I need to disconnect screen from donor board and fix to board from broken phone?

It only appears to be a ribbon connection, a push connection (camera?) and a small bit of desoldering and resoldering where the screen joins the board to achieve this, but surely these boards are the same?

All my friend needs is numbers and messages that are stuck on his broken phone as he did not save them to his sim so if there is another way of retrieving this info', advice would be greatly appreciated.

Am beginning to tear my hair out and screaming at myself......why did I start this!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:08   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 330579
Thanks Meter: 67,512
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_1962@hotm View Post
Hi, I am new to these forums so please excuse me if I have posted this incorrectly.

In trying to be clever and help a friend out after seeing a video on how it is done....I need the knowledge of someone who knows what he is doing!!

I am trying to replace the lcd screen in the phone from a donor phone (whose screen is perfect) and have done the following:

1 - Removed Battery
2 - Unscrewed four screws and taken back plate off.
3 - Lifted first pcb and disconnected ribbon.
4 - Unscrewed slider mechanism and removed.

I got this far and then thought that as the screen was in place on the donor phone it was pointless removing it from the pcb it was attached to, so I then proceeded to re-fit the slider, pcb (from phone with broken screen), and all other parts ensuring the ribbons were firmly in place.

After doing this I get absolutely nothing!! The phone will not switch on at all.

What have I done wrong?? Can you mix the pcb's or do I need to disconnect screen from donor board and fix to board from broken phone?

It only appears to be a ribbon connection, a push connection (camera?) and a small bit of desoldering and resoldering where the screen joins the board to achieve this, but surely these boards are the same?

All my friend needs is numbers and messages that are stuck on his broken phone as he did not save them to his sim so if there is another way of retrieving this info', advice would be greatly appreciated.

Am beginning to tear my hair out and screaming at myself......why did I start this!!!
Friend!
Is Better you contact one tecnic.
We don't now or can see your phone Friend.
If you dramage anything, you cam dramage more.
Put the phone in Tecnic.
BR
Haicha
Old 08-29-2008, 02:29   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 60899
Thanks Meter: 792
the ribbon is very sensitive and can break easy, also the connector with this push down gate made of brittle plastic can break easy, maybe fault there, check.
Old 08-29-2008, 16:35   #4 (permalink)

Member: 848614
Thanks Meter: 0
Hi again, thanks for your replies so far.

I have checked ribbons and plastic gates and all look ok.

Put the phone back together again last night an it worked for a while although it said that nothing was stored ( pictures and sms messages).

I am still however using the screen and the board that screen is attached to as my donor. Do two different boards not work together ie: first board from broken phone that has all the chips on it with the board from the donor phone and screen?

Cheers
Steve