GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Non GSM/Mobile Related Forums > Off Topic Zone

Off Topic Zone Here all other messages...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 03:50   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2953108
Thanks Meter: 0
What's the deal with refurbished phones?

What's the deal with refurbished phones? And is there any way to tell if they were refurbished with quality parts?
So I bought a Galaxy S9+ on eBay listed as refurbished and the seller mentions that these phones were customer/carrier returns that have signs of blemish/scratches. The phone pictured didn't have noticeable scratches and the price seems good so I pulled the trigger. (seller is CPH2020, item S9+ for $264.99). Now I have the phone and the screen and back glass look great, maybe just a micro-scratch here and there. But looking at the bezel it's obvious it's been dropped several times and a couple spots have been went over with some kind of de-burring tool. So based on the bezel impacts I would say the screen has been replaced and probably the back glass too. Is this typical for a customer/carrier return? Maybe it was an insurance return that they brought back to life.

So I started wondering if I should be worried about how good of a job was done in the refurbishing process and if quality parts were used. Basically what are the chances this thing is still built to last? With a new phone or even used in great shape I think it's a reasonable assumption that the phone should last a long time because it hasn't been significantly impacted.

Looking at the listing again there's a couple other things that make wonder if I should be concerned. The listing picture shows a Samsung box and what look like original accessories (seeing a second hand phone with original box and accessories always makes me feel warm and fuzzy). On further inspection the box is from a Note 8 and the charger is a cheap knock off that only looks original in the listing.

The only other thing I noticed that looked out of the ordinary is the developer options are enabled on the phone. I don't know if that gives any clue to what this thing has been through.

Any input about any of this would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-26-2020, 19:44   #2 (permalink)

Member: 2954257
Thanks Meter: 1
used mobiles with some defect will give you a repair one