GSM-Forum

GSM-Forum (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/)
-   Off Topic Zone (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f36/)
-   -   Can windows XP be installed on iMac apple G5?? (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f36/can-windows-xp-installed-imac-apple-g5-314887/)

MC Harami 07-14-2006 09:53

Can windows XP be installed on iMac apple G5??

I have got an apple iMac G5 and was wondering if i could load xp on it??
It has tiger 10.4.7 i think at the moment.

8051 07-14-2006 16:04

Yes you can, install virtual PC and enjoy

BR

MC Harami 07-15-2006 00:21

yeh but does it have to be intel based or apple based?
My machine is apple chip and do u have any links where i can get more info from?

8051 07-15-2006 11:13

Virtual PC 7.0 for MAC download this torrent and you must have torrent client like for exemple Azureus

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3433533

8051 07-15-2006 11:20

it's for apple machine PPC ( power pc)

BB-gsm 07-15-2006 11:23

Does not matter Intel or PPC CPU,

That software (Virtual PC) is very very slow, I dont think you can work with unlocking softs with it, but simply running simple exe`s is possible :)

Mac OS X Leopard (10.5), will have possibilities to run Windows apps as well as Mac apps as Steve Jobs announced :)

Regards,
B

crusher 07-15-2006 12:11

I doubt e.g. execryptor or themida would partner with VPC :)
anyway, if you have iMac, it means you should have Intel CPU, thus maybe you can install XP natively on the machine (you might encounter problems when gathering drivers though)

8051 07-15-2006 12:26

Virtual PC is not the same thing as dual booting XP and mac OS. Virtual PC is an emulator. it uses software to create a virtual x86 machine and runs windows in that. As BB-gsm said it's very slow, it's like having windows xp installed on a pentium II, but it's an alternative solution to allow you using "windows programs".
And about Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" Apple intended this release at the end of 2006 or early 2007.( piano !!!)

BR.

BB-gsm 07-15-2006 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusher
anyway, if you have iMac, it means you should have Intel CPU, thus maybe you can install XP natively on the machine

Wrong :)

iMac G3, G4, G5 are PPC based

iMac Core Duo is Intel Core Duo based

And Windows can not be installed on any of them "Natively" :)

Regards,
B

Nylus 07-15-2006 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB-gsm
Wrong :)

iMac G3, G4, G5 are PPC based

iMac Core Duo is Intel Core Duo based

And Windows can not be installed on any of them "Natively" :)

Regards,
B

You can install XP in an iMac with intel either "natively" (solution was published long time ago, with two variants, one flashing EFI and another without touching EFI, but more complicated) or with boot camp. Another solution is using Parallel to boot with MacOSX and execute XP in a window.

Regards

BB-gsm 07-15-2006 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nylus
You can install XP in an iMac with intel either "natively" (solution was published long time ago, with two variants, one flashing EFI and another without touching EFI, but more complicated) or with boot camp. Another solution is using Parallel to boot with MacOSX and execute XP in a window.

Regards

Very well,

And on PPC based ones to change CPU, etc, will be also possible to install Windows :)

crusher 07-15-2006 14:47

right, I overlooked something, I thought the term iMac means the Intel-based Macs (which should be logical).
but, Intel Core (either Solo or Duo) is generally an x86, so I can't see any reason why Windows would be incompatible with it.

BB-gsm 07-15-2006 16:46

It is not all about CPU!
Mac has no bios as PC, no booting from cd/dvd as PC, Mac is Mac and PC is PC ..
When you have mac you will know that, and when you want Windows on Mac it is another case, a pity case :)

@ MC Harami

If you want to sell it, contact me in PM .

Nylus 07-15-2006 17:31

@crusher: iMac does not stand for "intel based macs". iMac is just the name of the standar mac model, and it was called iMac years before the intel based macs.

There's no name for intel based macs as a product. They're just iMac with intel core duo.

And bb-gsm is right, macs have no bios. Macs use another system, generally called EFI. In Mac platform, the operating system has a very deep control and knowledge of the hardware, hence the better performance of macs.
In a PC, windows just uses a lot of generic drivers to try to determine, in the best conditions possible, what the hell of hardware do you have inside. So, in some terms, windows is hardware-independent. It seems, the more compatible you are, the worse the performance you have.

Regards

MC Harami 07-15-2006 18:17

WOW guys i am impressed with the response, some real apple experts.
So in term you saying its possible but dont bother because its too slow.