GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Non GSM/Mobile Related Forums > Off Topic Zone

Off Topic Zone Here all other messages...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 16:54   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 1024
Thanks Meter: 5,510
Demise of Nokia

Hi,

It is no longer a secret after so many years dominating GSM that Nokia is going nowhere.
Just been browsing ebay, i knew for some time that new iPhone 4 will sell for ridiculous
amounts in the range of 500-1000 UK pounds, but this is crazy.

If anyone think this is fake, just search for 'iPhone 4 faulty', find few auctions and watch
then while they end.

Here my example:

- iPhone 4, broken screen, blacklisted and locked - end price 303 UK pounds link
- Brand new Nokia N8, the flagship of Nokia smart phones - 329 UK pounds link

Please feel free to share what do you think about that.

BR
The Following User Says Thank You to Bph&co For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 73565
Thanks Meter: 5,062
my opinion,
nokia now such a 'generic' product. no more fancy, exclusive things on that phone. as more people like to use luxurious, an extra ordinary goods.

now, even their ovi can't catch BIS (RIM).

even more, perhaps end users have found and pissed off about that rpl monopoly...

regards
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gbluez For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 10-03-2010, 18:25   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 190882
Sonork: BB PIN: 7C83D9CE
Thanks Meter: 1,282
Donate money to this user
nokia has lost young consumers but still has old consumers ... i don't speak about n8,n97 ecc.. but more people still buy old phones like n73,n95 or buy cheap phones (dct4/dct4+)
rim and htc (that i love) have business consumers
apple have young consumers ...and 90% of they buy iphone/ipad/ipod because is fashion

why i must to spend 600/700€ for one phone? and bluetooth don't work...for put some mp3 i need itunes...ringtones,themes arent' customizables...for change sim i need to be McGiver...
there is jailbreak...sure...but more dont know it
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fr3nsis For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 10-03-2010, 19:30   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 1024
Thanks Meter: 5,510
gbluez:

I would agree. They should be more open, they seems to support open source,
experiment with different flavours of UI based on Linux, but the end result for end user
is unbearable user experience based on clunky menus and lack of any usability.
Maybe just fix the UI instead of locking down everything with RSA and pi$$ off
users with that planned obsolesce of the handsets via software means.

fr3nsis:

Yes i think that cheap line of phones sold to developing world is actually saving their
lazy corporate arses. Otherwise no one would buy what they have to offer, regardless
of that massive attack on social networks they pushed in last months to promote N8.

On a positive note, their radio hardware still rocks. I am on UK 3 network and Nokia
is the only brand to deliver any usable reception, in my home and in some troublesome
spots.

BR
The Following User Says Thank You to Bph&co For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 20:03   #5 (permalink)
Product Supporter

Member: 869809
Thanks Meter: 1,706
for me

i guess N8 will rock our market on my area even it's coast 329

nokia company care about thier coustmers(i don't mean that iphone don't care about thier coustmers)but nokia make a simple,beatifull and easy operating system for thier phones not like iphone

for example when u want to use blutooth on iphone u need first to hack the phone then install some apps on it for activating the blutooth methood

but on otherwise nokia dosen't have this kind of problems

by the way when N8 will be avaliable on my market i will sell my KM900 ARENA and i will buy it cuz i like it

b.r.

Last edited by bk.gsm; 10-03-2010 at 20:12.
The Following User Says Thank You to bk.gsm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 21:18   #6 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 764174
Thanks Meter: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by the scavenger View Post

but on otherwise nokia dosen't have this kind of problems

b.r.
not only nokia, all phones easy to use bluetooth except iphone
The Following User Says Thank You to ahmad yousif For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 11:47   #7 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 972745
Sonork: 100.1627715
Thanks Meter: 216
Nokia Is Still One of the leaders in the phone market and has the greatest market share i think, nokia is far from over my friend. Just take a look at the nokia 6700 very hot seller! everyone wants 1 where i live. so is the n97 . iPhone 4 Is worth that much because its whats trendy in this current market, however nokia is still among it i see people with just as many iphones as i do with nokia. you cant just judge the company because of the value of its product compared to a another very high end phone (600 quid) phone here ! . i mean if its 300 u cud probably fix the lcd and send abroad or overseas and make its money just because of the high price of the phone. Nokia isnt dead and is far from it! its companies such as lg that are on the brink.
Old 10-14-2010, 13:04   #8 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 7653
Thanks Meter: 823
Nokia has become too big for themselves.

These days every cool kid needs to have the latest device. What is the latest iPhone? well everyone knows this because there are only 4 flavours in history. What is the latest Nokia? Who knows.. They release a new "flagship" every 6 months.

These Nokia "flagships" sell with half tested operating system, terrible choice of applications (time crippled office software, useless). Many bugs. I purchased Nokia N97 on the first week of sales and there was so many problems. Within only 3 months of signing up for a 2 year contract, Nokia released new version - N97 mini. Really you could see I was a little bit annoyed at this.

Nokia needs to concentrate on only one or two models, not have a massive sales catalogue. Remember the late 1990s? Nokia 3310 was the only phone available, every kid in the Uk had this phone (and I guess all around the world). Nokia was really the king in these days.

The downfall started (for me) with DCT4 which we could not unlock for a long time. Suddenly the demand for second hand Nokias could not be filled. They lost a massive slice of reputation because of this. Nokia was no longer the cool phone to have, because the kids could not afford £200 brand new sets or long term contracts...
Old 10-15-2010, 14:07   #9 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 38980
Sonork: 100.84054
Thanks Meter: 124
problem is Nokia has put to much money in protection, instead of innovation.
Symbian is a big crap.

There is 2 choice nowadays: iphone, or Android.
If anyone says both is crap, he never used any of them....

Low end phones at samsung use nowadays Android, same price category at nokia only has s40 system.
Soon nobody will buy nokia.

p.s: Maemo is a good idea, but N900 ***** absolutely. I dont understand why they dont have 8-10 models by now, from what customers can choose.

Last edited by Sigma; 10-15-2010 at 14:13.