GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Non GSM/Mobile Related Forums > Off Topic Zone

Off Topic Zone Here all other messages...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 14:35   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 7751
Thanks Meter: 74
A must read ! Mobiles in the early days :D

@All

Read a article in a danish newspaper regarding mobiles in the early days of mobile phones. It's so funny to read, so I've sat down and translated the whole thing. Translation follows :

The Portable Phone

The future is just around the corner. It was also around the corner in 1981 when the first mobile phone was released to the public. The price was 40.000 Danish crowns ~ 5320 Euros, and weighted around 10 Kilos, without batteries !

Portable, Gadget, Wireless or a portable pocket phone. In 1991 27.000 Danish had a mobile phone, the price was around 10.000 DKK ~ 1329 Euros. In 1996 was the big breakthrough for mobiles in Denmark, where every forth Danish had a mobile phone. The sunday newspaper (where this artivle was printed) have digged in old newspapers and bring here was was written about mobiles back at the time.

CAN IT BE TRUE ?

In short time mobile phones will maybe be affordable to everyone. Phones with tiny screens only as large as a packet of ciggarettes will maybe follow us where ever we walk and stand.
Berlingske Tidende 1991

When europeans have to talk with eachother in the 90's, it will with likehood be via the mobile phone. P&T (Danish national phone carrier) thinks that every second business man in a matter of 10 years will use a mobile phone ! Critics ask if we are really willing to be desturbed everywhere we walk and stand ? The answer is YES !
Politikken 1990

As the normal phone has changed society, so will the wireless mobile phone, and it will be integrated with the portable computer and change everything. The lines between work and free time will disappear by time.
Weekendavisen 1992

EXCUSE ME ?

From being phones that you carried in a shoulderbag, or had in the back of your car, the mobile phones have in 10 years been getting lighter and smaller. Today they are only the app. size of 2 packets of ciggarettes and can "hold power a full day"
Berlingske Tidenede 1992

The "pocket phones" spreads like small green men. It looks cool to walk and talk at the same time, or put the phone on the table when arriving to a meeting. You take it with you to the golf course, even the cinema, I've seen a gentleman talking in secrecy into his pocket while in the cinema.
Berlingske Tidenede 1992

The pitholes are plenty when bying a mobile phone. How long does the battery last ? How long time does it take to recharge ? Can I have it in my pocket ? or does it drag my coat to one side ?
Politiken 1991

And then there a picture with a man holding one of the BIG handheld Motorolas from that time, and the caption reads :

Mobiles 1987. Look my new mobile, it cant send SMS or MMS, Theres no camera, media player, or build in compas or kalender. However I get big biceps !

And some statistics

Number of mobile contracts in Denmark 2004 ~ 5.167.998 Thats equal to 95.5 per 100 Capita !

In 1990 there was 2.9 per 100 Capita !

SMS messages send in 2001 ~ 1.334.298

SMS messages send in 2004 ~ 6.554.569

Ahh the early days of mobiles hehe (c) Crew

Regards