GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Non GSM/Mobile Related Forums > Off Topic Zone

Off Topic Zone Here all other messages...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 20:16   #1 (permalink)

Member: 58425
Thanks Meter: 0
Single band, Dual band, Tri band, Quad band!

I am just wondering if anyone can answer this question for me...

What is the point of having so many different frequencies that networks operate on.

I mean ok.... I can understand having one or two bands, even a third in the Americas because their frequencies were otherwise already taken... But I've heard that the states will be moving over to quad band in a couple of years...

If this is true, then WHY is it necessary??? If everything works fine already, then what would the benefit be? I don't even live in the states, and probably won't ever have the need for a quad band phone, but I just HAVE to know!!!

Perhaps the plan is to move everyone over to quad band eventually so that everyone operates on the same frequency and we will never have to worry about taking phones overseas!

So, having sorted out the whole quad band fiasco, can someone please explain what frequency 3G runs on? If everyone moves over to 3G whats the point of quad band?????

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I just got to know, its killing me!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 00:24   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 33996
Thanks Meter: 3
Dear Friend,

Too many causes: Marketing, Bureaucracy, Technical, Etc.

I dislike the fourth band (850Mhz) as much as you do, i think it kills the global sense of GSM, but hereīs the point:

Colombia and Venezuela (Both South American Countries Known for their "not so honest" people, sorry to said that, but thatīs the PURE TRUTH if someone is offended i cannot help his closed mind)...Venezuela operates in 900Mhz GSM, and Colombia operates in 850Mhz...

They said they took the 850Mhz for Government issues (radiofrequency license and stuff), but i am SURE itīs NOT for that reason only, most "global phones or world phones" (900/1800/1900 Tri-Band GSM Phones) as they were called before the "nice" 850Mhz fourth band appeard, were very practical to take all over the world (besides from Sim Locking cases)...

if Colombia decided to use one of the regular dual or tri-band "bands" (sorry for redundancy)..you can be sure the second BIGGEST mafia (besides the drug stuff) would be phone trafficking to Venezuela (very practical and penetrable border)..

You canīt imagine how much people comes with phones from COMCEL (The Colombian GSM provider)..that cannot be used here, this is the scenario with the band incompatibilty, you can just imagine HOW MANY people could bring the phones here if the bands were compatible!!!

It seems too strategical, the operator owners knew the market they were going to deal with....
Old 07-29-2004, 00:33   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 33996
Thanks Meter: 3
..the use of the models they sell: Nokias 1100b Single-Band (850Mhz of course), Dual band Motorolas (850-1900Mhz), Dual band SE's (T230 850-1900Mhz). Etc. Etc...

Of course they have a lot of countries to "share" phones with, but the didnīt make things stupidly easy!..

The Second example ..USA

First World country, millions of subscribers, nice (and workign!) laws, not as here in Venezuela, where the monopoly is everyday stuff, the National compay of telephony (landline provider) where the ONLY service provider until a couple of years, TECEL BELLSOUTH got a National License to provide wireless comunication about 10 years ago and it have almost 8million subscribers, new GSM companies, about 3 years old, only got "regional" licenceses..and bla bla bla..
Ok, not to get deeply in politics..
USA, first world, nice economical-social level population, MILLIONS of subscribers, several service providers...thereīs a technical neccesity for more bands and stuff...

Well, i could get even deeper in this topic, but i think it is enough to get an idea of the "Fourth" band stuff..

So try to get a nice, unlocked Four band phone