GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Non GSM/Mobile Related Forums > Off Topic Zone

Off Topic Zone Here all other messages...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 12296
Thanks Meter: 9
VB 2005 or vb 2008 expert help needed..

Hi,
I need to make a prototype as a part of my dissertation. It's a converter for file format. The concept is based on learning in mobile environment. I need to make a template where I can input the learning material like text , pictures or powerpoint and it should output files in differet formats like swf , HTML ans flv. No COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE allowed but can use open source software to make interface.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Surej
Old 11-06-2008, 09:27   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 604795
Thanks Meter: 822
can i know what you currently have done and what part of the program is hard for you?
i wish i can help you...
Old 11-06-2008, 10:39   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..::Ahsan::.. View Post
can i know what you currently have done and what part of the program is hard for you?
i wish i can help you...

Do you know VB 2005 in depth..? I need to make a template where we can input the material like txt , powerpoint slides and convert to different outputs like swf, html and flv. I need this coz the devices i compare in learning environment are Windows mobile , N95 Symbian and I-phone. there is no universal format that can display learning material in all these 3 platforms. No third party softwares can be installed in any of these phones to show the content. This is all academic stuff. Open source can be used.

WBR

Surej
Old 11-06-2008, 11:39   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 7653
Thanks Meter: 823
Hey man, sorry for off topic.

I'm from Dudley, UK! Right now, sitting at work in Wolverhampton!

Nice to see someone local on here

Good luck on your project.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:47   #5 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Hi..

Where in wolverhampon are you now..?

Surej
Old 11-06-2008, 12:28   #6 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 7653
Thanks Meter: 823
I work just outisde Parkfields, about 5 minutes from the ring road.

Are you at Wolverhamtpon Uni?
Old 11-07-2008, 23:22   #7 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surej View Post
Do you know VB 2005 in depth..? I need to make a template where we can input the material like txt , powerpoint slides and convert to different outputs like swf, html and flv. I need this coz the devices i compare in learning environment are Windows mobile , N95 Symbian and I-phone. there is no universal format that can display learning material in all these 3 platforms. No third party softwares can be installed in any of these phones to show the content. This is all academic stuff. Open source can be used.

WBR

Surej
no, i am not a VB expert but first let me tell you that i am not going to write the whole code as you asked, i was just saying i will try to help you only in creating some little part of it but you did not tell what have you currently done with it and what you need to know.

hey! can you help me a little?
I've seen some anti-viruses programs that has some kind of process protection where to task manager will returns "Access is denied!" when it's trying to end the process..
Well , i'm making a sort of protection program that monitor the bandwidth , i wanted to prevent it from closing .
I know it is possible with a Windows API call by locking the process for being killed or terminated.
but i really don't know or have any idea about it.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2008, 23:31   #8 (permalink)
No Life Poster

also Since Microsoft and Apple are enemies, I doubt there's a .Net framework for the iPhone.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:45   #9 (permalink)
No Life Poster

@ Ashan ..I didnt ask you to write the complete code for me.. and moreover it's a part of my PG thesis. I know people in this forum who has done converters for different platforms . I am seeking their help.

It's not about .net framework and iPhone , Iphone SDK is completely different (COCOA Framework)

WBR

Surej
Old 11-08-2008, 14:33   #10 (permalink)
No Life Poster

@ Surej

first of all it's Ahsan not Ashan*
secondly you did not answer the following
Quote:
hey! can you help me a little?
I've seen some anti-viruses programs that has some kind of process protection where to task manager will returns "Access is denied!" when it's trying to end the process..
Well , i'm making a sort of protection program that monitor the bandwidth , i wanted to prevent it from closing .
I know it is possible with a Windows API call by locking the process for being killed or terminated.
but i really don't know or have any idea about it.

Thanks!
3rd can you explain more about this project? a little bit intereasted in it's functions.
Old 11-08-2008, 20:55   #11 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Visual Studio is commercial software, I'm going to assume that since you posted here you are allowed to write it in vb.net but aren't allowed to use non Microsoft dlls?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51   #12 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 I have personal license from Dream Spark. I can use DLL's that are not commercial. As i told you before this is academic stuff will have many check points for testing.

As for your stuff... there are a few ways. the most power way is binding the application with some system process. that way it'll be completely hidden and wont be able to kill. one more complex way is DLL injection method. another simple way is rename the file as a critical system process file. Actually this depends on what you use it for...hopefully you are not using to hack people ( I have seen a thread people complaining about you and one admin from the forum also told me this.)

NB: You asked about the project..It's a research being done in the University to find the efficient use of mobile systems so as to use them in a learning environment. It has areas like HCI , content delivery , content retrieval etc.. what i have mentioned above is just a part of that.

WBR

Surej
Old 11-09-2008, 18:56   #13 (permalink)
No Life Poster

thats another user i don't know him...
i know about these ideas but really don't know how they work. i also don't want to give a critical process name to my exe. any good solution plzzz...