GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones Hardware Repair Area > Hardware Equipments for GSM > RE-7500 Reworking System & iSolder

RE-7500 Reworking System & iSolder the Infrared Reworking System - Product By Jovy Systems. & iSolder the intelligent soldering machine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 00:30   #1 (permalink)

Member: 767194
Thanks Meter: 1
Nvidia GPU chip problem

I bought RE7500,,and interested in the experience and sugestions abaut repair Nvidia GPU chipset in laptops??
Your suggestions and repair tips are welcome,,
Old 05-06-2009, 00:52   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 73565
Thanks Meter: 5,062
Hi,
I dont have RE7500, but sometimes i work on pc part.
All computer part now days are fully ROHS compliant. The lead free tin bga is so hard to be reworked.
Try to find some documents about it on google.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:06   #3 (permalink)

Member: 1034400
hi ,. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by frida0231 View Post
I bought RE7500,,and interested in the experience and sugestions abaut repair Nvidia GPU chipset in laptops??
Your suggestions and repair tips are welcome,,

hi. I use t870A , buy the re7500 jovy I received this week. . repair laptops. I would like to share my experience. with the nvidia gpu. the
G6150
Annex photos of my work

http://rapidshare.com/files/23463702...6150_.rar.html
my English is not very good

greetings from COLOMBIA
Old 05-20-2009, 02:40   #4 (permalink)

Member: 1031113
Thanks Meter: 0
Just finished reflowing the nvidia gpu on an HP DV2500 using the jovy.

Just used the standard Jovy leadfree profile and PLENTY of foil tape protecting the plastic components on both sides of motherboard.

Worked perfectly 1st time.

If a reflow doesnt fix it, remove and reball with lead based solder and re-attach with a lead based solder profile.

If that still doesnt work, the chip is duff. Remember to check whether replacement chip has lead or lead free balls and use appropriate profile.

Obviously, if you dont have equipment to reball, you need to go straight to replacement.

-Michael.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:47   #5 (permalink)

jovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleypcdoc View Post
Just finished reflowing the nvidia gpu on an HP DV2500 using the jovy.

Just used the standard Jovy leadfree profile and PLENTY of foil tape protecting the plastic components on both sides of motherboard.

Worked perfectly 1st time.

If a reflow doesnt fix it, remove and reball with lead based solder and re-attach with a lead based solder profile.

If that still doesnt work, the chip is duff. Remember to check whether replacement chip has lead or lead free balls and use appropriate profile.

Obviously, if you dont have equipment to reball, you need to go straight to replacement.

-Michael.

height that you use? , Upper Heater for not leaving the blistering chip.
Old 05-26-2009, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 164786
Thanks Meter: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3team View Post
hi. I use t870A , buy the re7500 jovy I received this week. . repair laptops. I would like to share my experience. with the nvidia gpu. the
G6150
Annex photos of my work

greetings from COLOMBIA

please, can you upload it again???
the limit for download was reached.

thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 20:22   #7 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 44625
Thanks Meter: 36
I reflowed an HP pavilion DV2000 with geforce GO6150 successfully too. Its working fine for around a week now. Have asked customer to use with laptop cooler and not to run it on games for more than 45 mins as the heat transfer system is horrible. Have reflowed another today with a GEforce GO 7200. Shall be putting it together and testing it tomorrow. Another great use for RE-7500! This is one moeny making machine.

For those who are interested, i used the upper heater at lowest position. And its not just profiles. You have to keep an eye on the board. Sometimes manual control is best when it cmoes to reflow.
Old 07-05-2009, 17:59   #8 (permalink)
Freak Poster

The second laptop too is working well. Am doing some cooling mods to keep the chips cool as HP has made a very bad cooling design using a thermal pad to transfer heat from the chip to the heatsink. The chip should have been in direct contact with the heatsink. Thermal pads are ok for RAM ICs and northbridge chipset ICs provided they're not GPUs.
Old 07-25-2009, 14:53   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 473301
Thanks Meter: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3team View Post
G6150
Annex photos of my work

greetings from COLOMBIA
Hi,
Can you upload your photos again
Thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 14:56   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 473301
Thanks Meter: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trion View Post
I reflowed an HP pavilion DV2000 with geforce GO6150 successfully too. Its working fine for around a week now. Have asked customer to use with laptop cooler and not to run it on games for more than 45 mins as the heat transfer system is horrible. Have reflowed another today with a GEforce GO 7200. Shall be putting it together and testing it tomorrow. Another great use for RE-7500! This is one moeny making machine.

For those who are interested, i used the upper heater at lowest position. And its not just profiles. You have to keep an eye on the board. Sometimes manual control is best when it cmoes to reflow.
Hi Trion,

I have ordered Jovy RE-7500, can you share your experience of using jovy RE-7500, it will be great for future users.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 20:04   #11 (permalink)

Member: 1083488
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentu View Post
Hi,
Can you upload your photos again
Thanks
I am interessed ( i buy it very soon), can you upload again please
many thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleseb View Post
I am interessed ( i buy it very soon), can you upload again please
many thanks

ok
http://rapidshare.com/files/26164392...g6150.rar.html

pic remove g6150 t-870a

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to mp3team For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2009, 18:10   #13 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Hi
I have now fixed 5 laptops successfully so far. The models are: HP DV2000, Dv6000, and COMPAQ V 3000. besides the reflow, you MUST remove the thermal pad that is in between the GPU and heatsink and replace it with a 2mm thick copper piece approx measuring 7x8mm. These laptops all fail because of the thermal pad not being able to efficiently transfer heat to the heatsink. So just reflowing the GPU isn't enough. Also use arctic silver thermal paste on the GPU, then place the copper piece on it, again put a little more paste and finally fit the heatsink on this. This way you will have a 100% successful repair that will last for a long time. Use this utility to check GPu temp: GPU-Z. get it here: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

if your GPU is runnning normally at around 60 degrees or less, that's ok. And when running games it shouldn't be more than 75-80 degrees. If your GPU crosses these temperatures, you can be sure the cooling is faulty and needs modification. Check the temp even on working laptops in the DV2000, 6000 and 9000 series and compaq V 3000 series.

I had one laptop whose GPU temp would shoot upto 90 degrees in a few minutes. After the cooling mod it starts at around 49-50 degrees compared to 85.

While reflowing the GPU, i use the default Jovy Lead free reflow profile for the NVIDIA GPU. Do make sure you bend the temperature probe tip as recommended by JOVY to get correct temp readings while reflowing. The upper heater is to be kept at the lowest height for this reflow and reflow of most large BGA ICs. In case your machine isn't following the profile, either heater height is wrong or temp probe isn't making proper contact. Once the reflow is done cool the board and do the cooling modification with copper pieces and put back the laptop. And your laptop should work. If not you may need to reflow again as i had to in one case. The reason for this was i hadn't used flux the first time. I generally run the machine for a few minutes on preheat and place the board onto it and start the profile from a temp of around 45-50 degrees.

I use AMTECH flux.

I have given you the info you need to be successful in repairing all the laptops with this kind of problem.

Good luck in your repairs!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2009, 15:42   #14 (permalink)

Member: 132074
Thanks Meter: 13
i repaired several hp dv series, but no way to fix it permanently with a normal reflow, they fall after a couple of months,

i think that in these hp model they don't use normal unleaded balls, but some kind of high temperature alloy, cause removing is very very hard.

jovy 7500 has no sufficient preheating area for these boards and a proper reflow will never happen, you can test during the work if the reflow is well done by trying to move the chip during reflow with a small tweezer, if touching it very gentle you can see the chip moving then the reflow is doing properly, if you feel the chip steady on the board during the reflow process, no real reflow has happen, and no long term repair will succed.

the reason why the board work after this kind of work is that the balls make good contact cause thermal dilatation, but after a medium time it will stop working again.

for a permanent fix , reballing with leaded ball 63/37 is necessary, and then you can do the modification with a copper shim to prevent failure in the future.
Old 09-01-2009, 20:35   #15 (permalink)
Freak Poster

I agree with linears4 about a reballing with lead based solder being the better solution. And its true that just a reflow might not be sufficient.