GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S

iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S iPhone 4 / 4S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 20:30   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 936896
Thanks Meter: 14
soldering products advice

Hello everyone

can someone tell me what products to use and where to get them off the net?

I have just started learning desoldering and soldering
i wanna try oon old motherboards etc

I successfully managed to remove a video card chip from a motherboard using hot air gun

now how do i remove the soldering on the chip and motherboard?what kind of flux gel and where to get it?
where do i get those tiny soldering balls to solder back again?
do i need to put something else other then those soldering balls when soldering the chip back?

thank you
Old 08-13-2011, 21:30   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 184237
Thanks Meter: 7
where are you from brother?
Old 08-13-2011, 23:57   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

sorry i didnt mention it.
I am from the UK
North west side.
Old 08-14-2011, 19:31   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

any advice guys ?
Old 08-14-2011, 21:12   #5 (permalink)

Member: 1632195
Thanks Meter: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu2007 View Post
Hello everyone

now how do i remove the soldering on the chip and motherboard?what kind of flux gel and where to get it?
where do i get those tiny soldering balls to solder back again?
do i need to put something else other then those soldering balls when soldering the chip back?

thank you
Hey did some looking for you what you want is something like this store. Maplin.co.uk They carry what you need you'll want a flux pen and some solder they carry some 1mm solder that should be good for what your looking to do. Depending on the situation you can ball the solder using the soldering iron or just solder the part directly adding the solder as you heat. You also want to apply flux at all the connections you are soldering.

I hope this helps as I'm from Canada and have not bought anything from this retailer before.
Old 08-15-2011, 00:14   #6 (permalink)
No Life Poster

thank you for your advice
I have aoyue soldering station? does anyone know where I can get a 1mm soldering pen(the tip extension) ?
what is the flux pen used for?
do I have to apply flux at all the connections ,why so? and where can i get this product?
the website you provided is good but can someone tell me a site which is safe and possibly place in the uk in manchester.
Old 08-16-2011, 00:50   #7 (permalink)
Major Poster

Member: 106942
Thanks Meter: 0
For de-soldering you can use copper briad to soak up the surplus solder its sold in small roles, I use it for delcate jobs and maplins have it. Also I use a desoldering suction pen, its like a pen that you pre-load, its spring loaded you then melt the solder and place the nozzle of the pen on the solder and press the button it will then suck up the solder from the joint. try this link solder sucker | eBay
But you most importantly need a soldering iron that you can control the temp on its worth the money when you are messing with delicate components.

gizzburn