GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > BlackBerry (RIM)

BlackBerry (RIM) Blackberry phones discussion, firmwares, tutorial, media, repairs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:36   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 1035922
Thanks Meter: 2
Dead Blackberry Bold 9000

Hello

I have a blackberry bold 9000, about 3+ years old. Recently, here is what has happened to the device

1. I forgot to charge the battery for few days. When I connected the wall charger, it showed up a white screen with a lightening bolt on it. I kept the wall charger connected for few days, but nothing changed. I tried removing the battery, connecting and removing battery tricks as available on google searches but nothing helped. After fews days, even the lightening bolt disappeared and nothing comes on the screen these days.

2. If I remove the battery and then connect the wall charger, the RED LED does not light up on the dead 9000. Fortunately, I have one more working 9000 and I find that on a working 9000, the RED LED lights up immediately wall charger is plugged in. I opened the dead 9000 and measured the voltage across the + and - pins on the mini usb connector on the board and its show's about 5v, which means the usb connector is good and the power is reaching the board

3. I tried removing the small cmos battery on the board and soldering it again. No luck. It shows about 0.6v across the battery on a dead 9000 and also on a working 9000.

4. If I connect the battery to the dead 9000, the RED Led lights up for about 15 seconds and then nothing happens, totally dead screen. After that, if I connect the wall charger with the battery inserted, again the RED LED lights for about 15 sec and then no response. nothing on the screen. pressing any keys does not help. Since there is some RED LED activity when the battery is inserted, I am still hopeful that that dead 9000 is still NOT totally dead and there may be something that can be done to get it back working.

5. Since I have a dead 9000 and working 9000, I opened the devices and swapped the LCD screens just to be sure that there is nothing wrong with the screens. Connecting the dead 9000 LCD to the working LCD 9000 results into a white screen with a vertical blue colored faded bar in the center. googling shows that this is related some LCD incompatibilies. Atleast, the white screen lights up so I assume the LCD is working in the dead 9000

I am clueless on what should be my next steps. I do not have the schematic of the black berry bold so not sure what troubleshooting should be done.

I plan to now remove the RF shields on the PCB and heat/ball the ic's and components one by one.. but not sure if this will help.