GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > BlackBerry (RIM)

BlackBerry (RIM) Blackberry phones discussion, firmwares, tutorial, media, repairs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00   #1 (permalink)

Member: 980165
Thanks Meter: 19
Unlocking and debranding a blackberry in layman's terms.

Hello everyone. After countless hours of looking at how to unlock and debrand my new Bold I was totally confused by all the different things. Torrents, rapidshare etc. etc. I'm not really familiar with any of this stuff and was a little overwhelmed by it all.

I read some awesome directions that someone posted on a redskin's forum and that was VERY straightforward except for one bit about unlocking the bold at the same time. I then found a different post in a different forum that said you could clear the MEP feature to unlock the phones before running the VSM. So I ran through the steps a 2nd time and it was successful.

So today I was successful in debranding and unlocking two blackberrys. My 8310 (which was my guinea pig) and my Bold.

These are the directions I followed and are a compilation of other people's directions. I take no credit for these and only thought to put them together in one format for all to do both things (unlock and debrand) at the same time if they so choose.

Directions:

First thing to do is to download 3 different files. Two can be downloaded from a place called rapidshare and the third is a torrent file which required me to download a different program for that. As this was my first torrent download I was apprehensive but it worked out ok.

The Torrent software needed was a Vuze software which can be obtained from the Torrent file's location.

Those files needed are:

On Rapidshare:
  • The MFI Mulitiloader Installation File
  • The VSM file
For the Bold I used vsm-11697-001 which was the RIM engineering Splash Screen and gives access to the Engineering Files.

For the Curve I used vsm-09712-002 which was a Blackberry Screen. I don't know if I could have used the VSM-1167-001 for the Curve or not.

After you obtain these files, you need to get the Torrent file. To do this you need to download Vuze and follow the directions to get this file. The file is the additional MML Data files and is called the MFI torrent.

After this initial setup is complete, you are ready to start the process.
  1. Install the MFI MultiLoader software onto your computer
  2. Extract the extra MML data files and copy all the folders to C:\MML - Overwrite all the original files
  3. Disable the Internet of your computer
  4. Open up MFI and select auto start on and full erase off <-- VERY IMPORTANT!!!
  5. Connect your Blackberry
  6. Let it do its thing until you see fail on your screen and you see "no application..." on your Blackberry
  7. Unplug your Berry and close the MFI Multiloader.
  8. Reopen the MFI Multiloader and deselect the auto-start. Then hold down ctl+shift+alt+f12 and once the hidden menu comes up plug in your Berry.
  9. TO UNLOCK YOUR PHONE: Hit Clear MEP to unlock your phone
  10. Hit "Load VSM" and locate the VSM file you downloaded]
  11. It's going to say "VSM Loaded Succesfully" in less than a second
  12. Close MFI and on your Berry it will say "No Application Linked Factory OS"
  13. Turn on the Internet again and open up Desktop Manager
  14. Go on Application Loader and load the OS onto the Bold again
After I did all this, my Bold worked perfectly and so did my Curve except for one issue and that was the Mass Storage Ability. To solve this problem, I had to download a .bat file which is contained in a .rar file called bb activation new.rar

Download this file and follow these instructions:

1. Plug in your blackberry. DO NOT TURN ON DESKTOP MANAGER
  2. Run BB storage Activation bat file. A DOS window will open on your computer.
  3. Press any key on your computer keyboard.
  4. Wait till blackberry reboots
  5. Once your BBerry has rebooted, close the DOS window that appeared in step 2 on your desktop.
I hope someone finds this post helpful and easy to understand. I am a COMPLETE NOVICE to this stuff and this was the first time I have ever done anything like this. It was also my first time doing a torrent download and was still apprehensive about it so I uninstalled the VUSE software after it was done. . Perhaps it was beginner's luck but I took my time and did plenty of research before proceeding. It appears more daunting then it really was and it was a breeze after doing it the first time.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to gavidoc For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15   #2 (permalink)

Member: 980294
Thanks Meter: 0
Thanks you soo much this post made my day

This is the best post I have seen on these forums!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 18:03   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 11945
Thanks Meter: 76
Soooo clear,thanx a lottt...
B.R.
Old 02-26-2009, 17:08   #4 (permalink)

you are welcome guys.
Old 02-26-2009, 18:42   #5 (permalink)

Member: 980465
when i open mfi multiloader, it says connect device. i did and nothing happens. what am i doing wrong ?????
Old 02-26-2009, 19:31   #6 (permalink)

Member: 193990
Thanks Meter: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavidoc View Post
Hello everyone. After countless hours of looking at how to unlock and debrand my new Bold I was totally confused by all the different things. Torrents, rapidshare etc. etc. I'm not really familiar with any of this stuff and was a little overwhelmed by it all.

I read some awesome directions that someone posted on a redskin's forum and that was VERY straightforward except for one bit about unlocking the bold at the same time. I then found a different post in a different forum that said you could clear the MEP feature to unlock the phones before running the VSM. So I ran through the steps a 2nd time and it was successful.

So today I was successful in debranding and unlocking two blackberrys. My 8310 (which was my guinea pig) and my Bold.

These are the directions I followed and are a compilation of other people's directions. I take no credit for these and only thought to put them together in one format for all to do both things (unlock and debrand) at the same time if they so choose.

Directions:

First thing to do is to download 3 different files. Two can be downloaded from a place called rapidshare and the third is a torrent file which required me to download a different program for that. As this was my first torrent download I was apprehensive but it worked out ok.

The Torrent software needed was a Vuze software which can be obtained from the Torrent file's location.

Those files needed are:

On Rapidshare:
  • The MFI Mulitiloader Installation File
  • The VSM file
For the Bold I used vsm-11697-001 which was the RIM engineering Splash Screen and gives access to the Engineering Files.

For the Curve I used vsm-09712-002 which was a Blackberry Screen. I don't know if I could have used the VSM-1167-001 for the Curve or not.

After you obtain these files, you need to get the Torrent file. To do this you need to download Vuze and follow the directions to get this file. The file is the additional MML Data files and is called the MFI torrent.

After this initial setup is complete, you are ready to start the process.
  1. Install the MFI MultiLoader software onto your computer
  2. Extract the extra MML data files and copy all the folders to C:\MML - Overwrite all the original files
  3. Disable the Internet of your computer
  4. Open up MFI and select auto start on and full erase off <-- VERY IMPORTANT!!!
  5. Connect your Blackberry
  6. Let it do its thing until you see fail on your screen and you see "no application..." on your Blackberry
  7. Unplug your Berry and close the MFI Multiloader.
  8. Reopen the MFI Multiloader and deselect the auto-start. Then hold down ctl+shift+alt+f12 and once the hidden menu comes up plug in your Berry.
  9. TO UNLOCK YOUR PHONE: Hit Clear MEP to unlock your phone
  10. Hit "Load VSM" and locate the VSM file you downloaded]
  11. It's going to say "VSM Loaded Succesfully" in less than a second
  12. Close MFI and on your Berry it will say "No Application Linked Factory OS"
  13. Turn on the Internet again and open up Desktop Manager
  14. Go on Application Loader and load the OS onto the Bold again
After I did all this, my Bold worked perfectly and so did my Curve except for one issue and that was the Mass Storage Ability. To solve this problem, I had to download a .bat file which is contained in a .rar file called bb activation new.rar

Download this file and follow these instructions:

1. Plug in your blackberry. DO NOT TURN ON DESKTOP MANAGER
  2. Run BB storage Activation bat file. A DOS window will open on your computer.
  3. Press any key on your computer keyboard.
  4. Wait till blackberry reboots
  5. Once your BBerry has rebooted, close the DOS window that appeared in step 2 on your desktop.
I hope someone finds this post helpful and easy to understand. I am a COMPLETE NOVICE to this stuff and this was the first time I have ever done anything like this. It was also my first time doing a torrent download and was still apprehensive about it so I uninstalled the VUSE software after it was done. . Perhaps it was beginner's luck but I took my time and did plenty of research before proceeding. It appears more daunting then it really was and it was a breeze after doing it the first time.
Where can I find the OS for BOLD to load from Device Manager?

I'v done everything from step 1 to 13 but cant locate the O.S. Pls help
The Following User Says Thank You to abhinavsg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2009, 20:32   #7 (permalink)

Member: 969021
Thanks Meter: 1
any body tried with 8900
Old 02-26-2009, 20:36   #8 (permalink)

Member: 159941
Wont work with the current mfi im waiting to debrand my 8900
Old 02-26-2009, 20:50   #9 (permalink)

Member: 969021
can i unlock with this 8900
Old 02-27-2009, 04:44   #10 (permalink)

Member: 980465
mfi only starts when the battery is tooken out of the curve. am i doing this right?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27   #11 (permalink)

Member: 193990
Thanks Meter: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzkitkat View Post
mfi only starts when the battery is tooken out of the curve. am i doing this right?
I think you are doing this incorrect coz I did the de-branding on my Blackberry Bold & I never took out the battery from the device.

Try doing the steps given above with the battery inserted in the device.

cheers.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:30   #12 (permalink)

Member: 777664
nice sharing bro.you are a genius
Old 03-01-2009, 05:28   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty bronz View Post
nice sharing bro.you are a genius

I'm not the genius. Others are. I just compiled other's stuff into one post and put it into non-computerese.
Old 03-01-2009, 15:48   #14 (permalink)

Member: 980033
thanks for share! can i unlock my BB javelin? how to do it?
Old 03-01-2009, 16:03   #15 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 85387
Thanks Meter: 78
thanks for share this solution