GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > BlackBerry (RIM)

BlackBerry (RIM) Blackberry phones discussion, firmwares, tutorial, media, repairs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 20:33   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 258172
Thanks Meter: 10,367
Donate money to this user
Why won't my OS update? I deleted the vendor.xml file !

Why won't my OS update? I deleted the vendor.xml file!

So, you downloaded the newest, latest and greatest OS for your BlackBerry and have followed the below instructions:

1. Download and install Desktop Manager.
2. Download and install the OS of your choice for your device.
3. Delete vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
4. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager.

However, when you open Desktop Manager you get no prompt to update. When you open Application Loader your new OS is not listed!! And this has been plaguing people for months now!!!

The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer. So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "Check for Updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
4. In the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you don't see this option in this list then continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.
Note: If you're installing Desktop Manager fresh, be sure and choose the "Custom"
install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll have this issue.)

Once that is complete, you'll need to go back and search your computer for vendor.xml. When you do the search, make sure you click on "Advanced Options" and make sure that you search Hidden files and folders. This is important as some operating systems create a virtual store in the temp folder that this vendor.xml file is located in. You will not find this particular vendor.xml if you don't have hidden files/folders selected for search. Once the hidden vendor.xml is deleted it won't come back if you've reinstalled Desktop Manager without the Automatic Update Feature enabled.

Now, make sure your OS is installed (you may need to install the OS again, if you actually remove Desktop Manager and then reinstall Desktop Manager again. Make sure that you delete the normal vendor.xml file LAST before updating the device.
Tip of the day: Desktop Manager is not even required for doing an OS upgrade. In the same folder as the vendor.xml file is a file called Loader.exe. Running that will run apploader without Desktop Manager. It still makes the full backup and restore, but without all the DM stuff running in the background.

info by John Clark

br
::.::RAMJAN::.::

Last edited by ::.::RAMJAN::.::; 12-11-2008 at 20:52.
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to ::.::RAMJAN::.:: For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 12-11-2008, 22:15   #2 (permalink)

Member: 910013
Thanks Meter: 0
Desktop manager and 8220 loader

hi friends
pls give me link to download latest DESKTOP MANAGER
and
Can pls any one help i need loader for Flip 8220 from T-Mobile when i am trying to unlock it say no MFI loader , can u help me pls ?

regards
Old 12-12-2008, 04:58   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 64213
Thanks Meter: 493
here direct link

http://www.uniksupport.com/Furious_B...tilanguage.exe
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zine For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2008, 08:39   #4 (permalink)

Member: 39208
Thanks Meter: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::.::RAMJAN::.:: View Post
Why won't my OS update? I deleted the vendor.xml file!

So, you downloaded the newest, latest and greatest OS for your BlackBerry and have followed the below instructions:

1. Download and install Desktop Manager.
2. Download and install the OS of your choice for your device.
3. Delete vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
4. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager.

However, when you open Desktop Manager you get no prompt to update. When you open Application Loader your new OS is not listed!! And this has been plaguing people for months now!!!

The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer. So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "Check for Updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
4. In the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you don't see this option in this list then continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.
Note: If you're installing Desktop Manager fresh, be sure and choose the "Custom"
install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll have this issue.)

Once that is complete, you'll need to go back and search your computer for vendor.xml. When you do the search, make sure you click on "Advanced Options" and make sure that you search Hidden files and folders. This is important as some operating systems create a virtual store in the temp folder that this vendor.xml file is located in. You will not find this particular vendor.xml if you don't have hidden files/folders selected for search. Once the hidden vendor.xml is deleted it won't come back if you've reinstalled Desktop Manager without the Automatic Update Feature enabled.

Now, make sure your OS is installed (you may need to install the OS again, if you actually remove Desktop Manager and then reinstall Desktop Manager again. Make sure that you delete the normal vendor.xml file LAST before updating the device.
Tip of the day: Desktop Manager is not even required for doing an OS upgrade. In the same folder as the vendor.xml file is a file called Loader.exe. Running that will run apploader without Desktop Manager. It still makes the full backup and restore, but without all the DM stuff running in the background.

info by John Clark

br
::.::RAMJAN::.::

that's right, BUT to make your desktop manager to update the bb without this error i download and install the OS which was erased before!!!!, this makes the desktop manager to update the bb without problems!!!, for ex., if the bb is t-mobile the download and install the t-mobile flash file! that's the clue!!!

----
Byte
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Byte For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2008, 17:05   #5 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 18200
Sonork: 100.1608286
Thanks Meter: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte View Post
that's right, BUT to make your desktop manager to update the bb without this error i download and install the OS which was erased before!!!!, this makes the desktop manager to update the bb without problems!!!, for ex., if the bb is t-mobile the download and install the t-mobile flash file! that's the clue!!!
----
Byte
so assuming there are 2 firmwares for ur operator, how do know which to download (after u must have wiped d phone with MFI ??)
Old 12-18-2008, 05:53   #6 (permalink)

Member: 39208
Thanks Meter: 152
no problem just download the latest!!!!,
Old 01-04-2009, 12:17   #7 (permalink)

Member: 716085
Thanks Meter: 26
Thankyou so much ramjan bhai good post
Old 01-04-2009, 14:41   #8 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 185255
Thanks Meter: 42
Question

i want to download firmware for t mobile uk it demands correct phone number before download ,what do i do as i don't have one
Old 02-10-2009, 01:14   #9 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 751535
Sonork: 100.1578411
Thanks Meter: 45
thanxxx bro too useful information
Old 02-10-2009, 02:58   #10 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 304260
Sonork: 100.1593127
Thanks Meter: 355
no problem, good share.....................
Old 02-10-2009, 12:27   #11 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 846640
Thanks Meter: 10
I'm not sure if the latest OS for the BB is 4.7. I wanted to update my OS to 4.7 so that I could fix a problem that I have with my BB, the problem is that the BB website wants me to downloading using IE, no problem there, but it have to be using Desktop Manager. Can't I download it directly to my PC? Either way, I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks, Ramjan, this the info. that I was looking for.
Old 02-10-2009, 13:29   #12 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 14047
Thanks Meter: 166
help pleae i need irmware for 8830 verizon can someone help me pleasse
Old 02-11-2009, 15:14   #13 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 14047
Thanks Meter: 166
ok my problem is now solved i found on here free blackberry updates 8830_4[1].5r74 and flashed fone but first had to unistall blackberry desktop manager fone is now working ok again.............
Old 02-14-2009, 04:56   #14 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 508072
Thanks Meter: 1,621
100% working for me
thxxxxxxxx. to ramjan
Old 03-18-2009, 12:14   #15 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 617174
Sonork: 100.1622609
Thanks Meter: 579
Good info ........>Ramjan