GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Non GSM/Mobile Related Forums > Game Consoles & Mp3/4 , HD players

Game Consoles & Mp3/4 , HD players Repairing and servicing Mp4, Mp3 devices, HD players.. you may also find here any threads related to Game Consoles devices like Wii, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo .. etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 00:55   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 101860
Sonork: 100.1582168 100.77603
Thanks Meter: 6,036
Donate money to this user
PSP: Read this before you BRICK your PSP

■Θ■ Read this before you BRICK your PSP ■Θ■

Introduction

Quote:
Just after the release of HEN, people are already trying to flash all sorts of things to it. Even though the readme clearly stated the following, "Flashing onto your PSP WILL BRICK IT!!", I feel it's necesarry to do a more in-depth explanation of this situation. Note that the HEN itself shouldn't be able to brick your PSP, but that any of the programs you run can very easily do so.

When a PSP does not have a firmware installed, or if the firmware files have been damaged, your PSP is called a 'brick'. This term is used to describe the state in which your PSP cannot successfully load the system files and boot into the firmware, thus rendering it as useless as a brick.

This is something you want to avoid happening to your PSP, and this guide aims at helping you archieve that. Note however, that it's still fully your own responsibility on what you do with your PSP. As you violate the Sony license agreement by using this HEN, it can't be guaranteed that your PSP will still fall under warranty. In this case, Sony can charge relatively high sums of money to unbrick your PSP, which in turn will bring it up the to latest 5.50 firmware, rendering the TIFF exploit useless.

Flashing files in general

Quote:
Those old-school sceners will remember the flashing of themes and other goodies. No matter how stable this works under custom firmwares, it's not the same as HEN. You need to take in to account that you need to keep the official firmware working, as if you reboot you return to it and you need to pass it to enter HEN again. For example, PRX files included in themes won't be encrypted, and even though the HEN core will patch the kernel to allow them to load, on reboot, returning to official firmware, you will be sitting with a brick as the files are now 'damaged'.

Flashing entire firmwares

Quote:
In general, flashing custom firmwares on PSP's other than the TA-088v3/PSP-3000 should work. I'm not going to go in depth on how to do this, but as long as you're careful and using well-known applications tested by other people on the HEN (it's helpful to have Pandora at hand while testing), you should be alright.

For the TA-088v3/PSP-3000 it's another story however. Both of these PSP's can't handle custom IPL blocks, which makes custom firmwares and Pandora run. And if they don't work, it will get stuck at them, and never finish loading the actual firmware. This also ends up as a brick. This is the main reason why you shouldn't just blatantly flash stuff like this on to your PSP. A PSP-3000 can be recognized with ease, like it's brighter screen, and different home button. TA-088v3 is a different story however, as it looks like all the other Slim's. One of the best ways to figure this out is using jas0nuk's pspident application, which can be found here. Simply run this like any other homebrew and it will show what motherboard you're equipped with. Anything higher than TA-088v3 is not able to run custom firmware, or install any of the older firmwares (say, under 5.00).

If it does support custom firmware however, it doesn't mean you don't need to be cautious. A good idea would be to make Pandora using the usual tools, just like you would under custom firmware. This will significantly decrease the chance of anything going wrong.

Breaking the TIFF exploit

Quote:
Finally, there is a slightly less critical issue that can occur, but it needs to be taken in to account. Like I said before, I suggest you don't flash anything at all, and just wait for the things you want to be made flashless. Like waiting for CXMB to work on the HEN to use your precious themes. However, if you, for whatever reason, flashed a file which didn't break the official firmware, like the waves, you might end up with the TIFF no longer launching, for the simple reason that the exploit was build to run on an unmodified PSP. Keep in mind that if these files are damaged or incorrect, they will still cause a full brick.

Determining homebrew that flashes

Quote:
In general, no files will be flashed without the user being acknowledged. Just keep an eye on what you run, always read the readmes and you should be fine.

Can I flash ... ?

Quote:
Short answer: NO. Long answer: You should ask around and wait for the opinion of experienced developers (I'll try to answer some of the questions regarding this aswell). But even then, I can't stop suggesting against it. There are lots of things you don't need to test to know. Like the fact unsigned PRX's won't load on official firmware, and that a custom IPL block won't load on the TA-088v3/PSP-3000.

Don't do pointless tests to see if they work, there are so many things that can be worked out using just theory, and there is no need to waste a costy PSP for that.

br

RNC_EBM
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RNC_EBM For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08   #2 (permalink)

Member: 1109964
Thanks Meter: 9
thanks for the heads up! =D
Old 09-09-2009, 18:42   #3 (permalink)

Member: 1115730
Thanks Meter: 5
Thanks
brother go on
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31   #4 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 99547
Thanks Meter: 74
thank's...............for ur infor...............
Old 01-21-2011, 02:22   #5 (permalink)

Member: 1497261
Thanks Meter: 2
very usefull for every owner of psp, i brick mine a long time ago lol
Old 05-11-2011, 19:36   #6 (permalink)

Member: 1360855
Thanks Meter: 0
psp 1001 fully bricked hang on formatting flash0 how to restore flash0 file on psp 1001 without recovery menu any solution pls help
Old 03-03-2016, 23:10   #7 (permalink)

Member: 1851641
Thanks Meter: 3
Thanks i have psp1003 this is nice thread for helping us to not brick our psp.
Old 10-27-2016, 14:15   #8 (permalink)

Member: 1720264
Sonork: henry
Thanky for accepting me i hope i can help us with my experience and you help me both together we can resolve more problem .It is very high forum congratulations
Old 05-18-2017, 15:16   #9 (permalink)

Member: 2718321
Going to buy one in the near future! thanks for the useful info!
Old 12-08-2017, 19:59   #10 (permalink)

Member: 2786853
Thank you very much.
Old 12-13-2022, 21:22   #11 (permalink)

Member: 1825021
Thanks for good post
Old 07-31-2023, 15:54   #12 (permalink)

Member: 3035379
Thanks Meter: 2
I just bought a psp the other day, so thank you very much