GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Other Gsm/Mobile Related Forums > GPS devices , Navigators & Maps

GPS devices , Navigators & Maps Find here all threads related to Global Positioning Systems (GPS), Navigators, GPS receivers, Settings, Maps and GPS modes.. etc

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 02:50   #1 (permalink)

Member: 997112
Thanks Meter: 4
New to TomTom - Some Basic Questions

Hi there,

I've just gotten a hold of a second hand TomTom, and I really don't know much about them. I've been reading a few things online, and trying to make sense of the TomTom v8 Map sticky thread in this forum, and I have a few basic questions to try and make sense of things. I hope someone will be able to spend a few moment just clearing a few things up for me.

I'm not really sure what version of TomTom I have. It's a TomTom One, and on the bottom it has N14644 Canada 310. What does this tell me about the device?

I can't see anywhere that an SD card would be used, so I assume it's got internal memory?

It has a v7 USA and Canada map installed on it (I think - that's the version I see when I click on the bottom right of the screen when in driving mode).

I downloaded TomTom Home, connected my device and updated to v8 of software. Is this the Navcore I have been reading about?

I've done a full Backup of my device in preparation of trying to install the v8.25 USA and Canada maps I have downloaded from an FTP site. The instructions with the download only included some meta information, which no instructions on how to use it. I've been reading through the thread like I mentioned, but so far it's not making much sense.

I've seen PDA and PNA used. Am I right in thinking PNA is a TomTom device rather than TomTom software running on a PDA?

Sorry this post is a bit all over the place, I am just writing questions as I try and make sense of all this in my head

I appreciate any information or pointers anyone can give, and thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2009, 23:19   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 503346
Thanks Meter: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4tb0x View Post
Hi there,

I've just gotten a hold of a second hand TomTom, and I really don't know much about them. I've been reading a few things online, and trying to make sense of the TomTom v8 Map sticky thread in this forum, and I have a few basic questions to try and make sense of things. I hope someone will be able to spend a few moment just clearing a few things up for me.

I'm not really sure what version of TomTom I have. It's a TomTom One, and on the bottom it has N14644 Canada 310. What does this tell me about the device?

I can't see anywhere that an SD card would be used, so I assume it's got internal memory?

It has a v7 USA and Canada map installed on it (I think - that's the version I see when I click on the bottom right of the screen when in driving mode).

I downloaded TomTom Home, connected my device and updated to v8 of software. Is this the Navcore I have been reading about?

I've done a full Backup of my device in preparation of trying to install the v8.25 USA and Canada maps I have downloaded from an FTP site. The instructions with the download only included some meta information, which no instructions on how to use it. I've been reading through the thread like I mentioned, but so far it's not making much sense.

I've seen PDA and PNA used. Am I right in thinking PNA is a TomTom device rather than TomTom software running on a PDA?

Sorry this post is a bit all over the place, I am just writing questions as I try and make sense of all this in my head

I appreciate any information or pointers anyone can give, and thanks in advance.
1, update your tomtom firmware via tomtom home to the latest version (keep updating until it says no more updates)
2, download the easytools
3, download the maps you want
4, copy the maps onto your tomtom device with a folder called something like "USA_8.25"
5, run the dg patcher and patch the ttsystem file
6, run the easytool dct.bat and select the options that match up to your firmware and map versions
7, all done

Hope this makes it a bit easier for you

Thanks
B.u Mobiles

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuMobiles For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2009, 00:56   #3 (permalink)

Member: 997112
Thanks Meter: 4
Thanks BuMobiles.

Alot of your posts in the TomTOm v8 maps thread were the ones I was paying attention to, I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

I think I was just getting caught up in not knowing what the terms for things were, or exactly what kind of TomTom I have (still not 100% sure, but I now think it's a TomTom One 130 S because I have the computer voices to say street names. This isn't going to make any difference in the instructions you gave me, is it?

Old 03-27-2009, 19:07   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 503346
Thanks Meter: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4tb0x View Post
Thanks BuMobiles.

Alot of your posts in the TomTOm v8 maps thread were the ones I was paying attention to, I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

I think I was just getting caught up in not knowing what the terms for things were, or exactly what kind of TomTom I have (still not 100% sure, but I now think it's a TomTom One 130 S because I have the computer voices to say street names. This isn't going to make any difference in the instructions you gave me, is it?
No you can still update the maps, very easy

The Following User Says Thank You to BuMobiles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2009, 06:55   #5 (permalink)

Member: 285149
Thanks Meter: 1
where can i download the "dg patcher"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuMobiles View Post
1, update your tomtom firmware via tomtom home to the latest version (keep updating until it says no more updates)
2, download the easytools
3, download the maps you want
4, copy the maps onto your tomtom device with a folder called something like "USA_8.25"
5, run the dg patcher and patch the ttsystem file
6, run the easytool dct.bat and select the options that match up to your firmware and map versions
7, all done

Hope this makes it a bit easier for you

Thanks
B.u Mobiles

The Following User Says Thank You to freexxx_au For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32   #6 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 818203
Thanks Meter: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexxx_au View Post
where can i download the "dg patcher"
Forget about easy tools & yDGpatch.

Download & unzip this tool. It will do the job of both of the others.

http://www.2shared.com/file/5301294/...A5_v05717.html

There are instructions included. There is help in the tool itself. Run all 3 operations & you are done

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tendriver For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 04-14-2009, 04:05   #7 (permalink)

Member: 285149
Thanks Meter: 1
thanx a lot and do i need to delete all the things in my tomtom one device to done all the above things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendriver View Post
Forget about easy tools & yDGpatch.

Download & unzip this tool. It will do the job of both of the others.

http://www.2shared.com/file/5301294/...A5_v05717.html

There are instructions included. There is help in the tool itself. Run all 3 operations & you are done

Old 04-14-2009, 17:09   #8 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 904772
Sonork: Mo
Thanks Meter: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexxx_au View Post
thanx a lot and do i need to delete all the things in my tomtom one device to done all the above things?
no no no no no no no no

Closed Thread