GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 17:17   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2238537
Thanks Meter: 0
How to start with soldering iPhone logic board/parts?

Hi there!

I've been looking around on this page alot, and have noticed that many of you are very skillfull with soldering parts like IC chip, coil and more on the iPhone logic board. I have been doing part repairs on iPhone's over long time, and now i want to start with soldering components, to get more advanced. But how do i start? Have been soldering a few things before, but that was just very basic. Have been watching alot of videos on youtube (many from cyberdoc llc) and think I have a little understanding of it.

1. What tools do I need?
2. How do know whats wrong on the logic board?
3. How do you know what heat you need to use?
4. How to prevent from ESD?

Is there any how to or tutorial out there?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:22   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1873863
Thanks Meter: 67
1. solder iron and hot air gun

2. your knowledge of basic electronic circuits, intuit, experience.

3. you can read ton of manufacturer specs, or learn by it yourself on a scrap board and learn from that.

4. with antistatic mat or bracelet

Tutorial is useless, because your equipment can be and it is different from the one you see on youtube, so the same temperature, airflow, distance from board, change from people to people. the only way to learn doing this.. is by doing this on scrap board.
Learn to remove little components, then big components, and after having removed that, try to solder it back ! Because removing is easy, good resoldering is the deal.
Learn how to protect parts from heat, to avoid damages, and so on.

And over all : prepare yourself to fail many times and spend some money, before you become good at this, this is normal.
Old 08-12-2014, 13:29   #3 (permalink)

Member: 720679
Thanks Meter: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced22 View Post
Hi there!

I've been looking around on this page alot, and have noticed that many of you are very skillfull with soldering parts like IC chip, coil and more on the iPhone logic board. I have been doing part repairs on iPhone's over long time, and now i want to start with soldering components, to get more advanced. But how do i start? Have been soldering a few things before, but that was just very basic. Have been watching alot of videos on youtube (many from cyberdoc llc) and think I have a little understanding of it.

1. What tools do I need?
2. How do know whats wrong on the logic board?
3. How do you know what heat you need to use?
4. How to prevent from ESD?

Is there any how to or tutorial out there?

Thanks!
1. You need something to melt the solder balls. Solder iron and hot air gun
2. Use a multimeter and schematics as help or a working board
3. try and error, begin with low temp, check type of solder
4. no idea
Old 08-15-2014, 09:27   #4 (permalink)

Member: 2238537
Thanks Meter: 0
Thanks for the reply guys! I was unlucky yesterday, and managed to do break the gsm signal connector on a iPhone 5 logic board, j1704_rf.
Is the connector the same for 4/4s and 5? How should I do this? Can I do it this way:

1. Secure other areas with kapton tape.
2. Heat it up with my heat gun, and then try to lift it up with tweezers.
3. When it is still hot, just lift the new part exactly on the same location? Do I need to resolder anything?