GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 01:03   #46 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 113587
Thanks Meter: 16

Or if you can tell us diode value approximately to look for it in a electronics shop. Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 08:38   #47 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 1842505
Sonork: 2344
Thanks Meter: 4
Good morning,

I've uploaded the picture yet.
Unfortunately I don't know the type of the diode. Afaik is this a special schottky-diode.
You'll find the same in the iPad 1 too. Check the diode by lifting on one side with a professional semiconductor tester. Be careful because not every multimeter can do this.
If the diode is broken, replace it. If not than check the coils (they are normally very durable) and if the're good replace the square-IC near on the left side.

That's all you can do...

The picture shows a water damaged unit which I got from ebay. The owner tried to "repair" it an gave up. Now it works!

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/76q5v.jpg
Old 02-14-2014, 12:37   #48 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Ok on monday, at shop, I will try (crossing my fingers to be successful), and I will report about. Thanks a lot for information
Old 02-16-2014, 00:10   #49 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Hi, I have bought in ebay a repair kit with the "IC repair kit"(diode and filter), and in details there is the following explanation about circuit working way (hope to be right):

iPad backlight circuits is simple, the power goes from the main power regulation chip to the 4R7 Coil(likely to be faulty in water damaged ipad only), then to the Backlight IC( very likely to be faulty in a short), then to the Backlight filter( very likely to be faulty in a short), then to the LCD screen connector holder(unlikely to be faulty unless from physical damage) then to the LCD cable wire (unlikely to be faulty) and finally screen (unlikely to be faulty). the return circuits comes form the screen through 6 small filters in right next to the screen (unlikely to be faulty).
Old 02-16-2014, 02:29   #50 (permalink)
Freak Poster

That is the kit i bought, but without 4R7, is this coil for backlight or touch screen? Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 23:51   #51 (permalink)

Member: 1650705
Sonork: terry marsy
Thanks Meter: 0
ipad mini lcd + backlight

hi im new to this site but can i say you were a very big help when i replaced my sons ipad2 lcd. i now have a bit of a problem with the screen on my ipad mini i have replaced it for a new one but as a noobish mistake like a lot of others not disconected the battery before disconnecting and reconecting the old and new lcd. the problem i have is that i hard reset the ipad the apple logo comes on for about 5 seconds then the screen goes completely black but the ipad is still on and i can unlock it using the touch screen even tho there is no picture can anybody help as i am not sure weather the fuse coil would cause this problem as the backlight works for 5 seconds thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 00:24   #52 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Hello,

I've had that error, but I don't know exactly what it was. Maybe it's just the diode. I don't think that the fuse is broken because the display lit up for seconds.

Unfortunately it's difficult to say exactly what it could be. If you're not familiar with repairing SMD-parts leave it...

Have a good day.
Old 02-20-2014, 19:18   #53 (permalink)

Member: 1650705
Sonork: terry marsy
thanks ill take your advice and send it off to some1 with more experience
Old 07-15-2014, 12:48   #54 (permalink)

Member: 2222880
Hi
I have replaced the digitizer on my nephews iPad Mini (A1432). At first I honored Murphy's law and soldered the digitizer on backwards on the digitizer chip board.
It took me some time to realize what was wrong since Apple uses those wonderful error message in style with error #, do you want to check error # on the internet... error # means that something went wrong. However I resoldered the digitizer and now the home button and touch seems to work but the backlight died. This was before I know that I had to disconnect the battery and LCD in the right order so a current surge is quite likely. However, the backlight did come back for a short period of time (maybe about 30s) at least two times.
I have tested the series of small fuses close to the LCD port and they are all fine. The larger fuse that is the most common failure has a resistance of about 700 Ohms that seems very high for a fuse. But is it even possible that the fuse has been partly burned, that seems very far fetch. Is it another path that cause this resistance and is this the excepted value when the fuse is burned?
Both the 2R2 and the 4R7 have a resistance close to zero. However when I try to measure the diode I get no path in either direction. (I realized that now) So the diode is broken. But what about the fuse?
Also do you have any suggestions how to best remove the EMI base, I have a hot air station if that helps.
Also, there is a voltage drop about 4.x v over the diode, does that seem right?
I have a local electronics store near here so is the characteristics know of the diode so that I can get a compatible replacement part without waiting the delivery?

//AlgoJerViA
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17   #55 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Hello and sorry for the late reply .

Firstly (and I mean normally) the fuse is the main problem.
Secondly the diode is broken (you don't get the diode at a normal electronic distributer, because it's a special one). Most people get the right diode at ebay or from a iCloud locked unit, and resolder it with wrong polatity! After that the backlight still doesn't work.
Thirdly I've never ever had a broken IC, coil or controller.

I can't answer your questions, because I'm on a business-trip and don't have access to my handwritten documents yet.

Change the fuse and with luck the iPad should work again.
Be very careful with the tiny connectors because it's easy to damage small components nearby when re-inserting.
If you've checked everything assemble all shields carefully together and before reseating the touchscreen check if everything works (especially the digitizer).

Soldering the IC to the digitizer is very complicated. I always buy the complete ones with the Hall-Sensor for detecting the original Apple case. There's always a possibility that a small range of the touch won't work because of short-circuit or anything else.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2015, 20:27   #56 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 516667
Sonork: 100.1651000
Thanks Meter: 6
nice bro wwwoooowww this is work
Old 04-13-2015, 22:45   #57 (permalink)

Member: 2230035
still broken backlight

Hi everybody

Hope you can help me. I have here an iPad mini with no backlight. The Diode seems to be ok, the fuse i have replaced but i have still only the battery power at the led output where there should be about 21V.

Do you have any idea? there seems to be a burnt coil (L8229) but it has still connection. Can this be the error?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:00   #58 (permalink)

Member: 2480211
Thanks Meter: 1
Hi...
I have iPad Mini A1454 with no backlight...
I tried to jumper from component D8228 to C2250 directly and the backlight is on again... but when I made a jumper, I accidentally removed the L47012_WIFI component and now the component is missing...

I turned on the iPad with no L47012_WIFI component and it's still working...

But I cannot try to use the iPad because the digitizer is broken and I have purchased the new digitizer and still in the ship. So I cannot try the WIFI functionality... I fear that WIFI wouldn't work in the future...

Say if the WIFI function wouldn't work when I attach the new digitizer, can I directly make a jumper with solder paste or wire in L47012_WIFI position?

Please help me... Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 20:50   #59 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Hi!
Unfortunately I'm on a business-trip and don't have access to my documents and PCBs. What is the L47012? Is it a coil or a necessary WiFi-IC?

Wait until the Touchscreen arrives. Maybe it still works, now you can't do anything.

Have a great day.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:15   #60 (permalink)

Member: 2480211
Thanks Meter: 1
it's just a coil with blue color and a dot in it... I've pm you the pict... thx