GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:54   #46 (permalink)

Member: 1735517
Thanks Meter: 0
Need some advice

Whilst I realise this is an old thread and I don't normally revive old threads, this is the best thread I've found yet that comes closest to my problem and gives real fixes.

My partner fried his iPhone 3GS by trying to connect a faulty charger straight to the car battery (yes, he was drunk at the time, you'd have to be to think that was a good idea wouldn't you?). Anyway, at the time it appeared to be ok but then we found that although it said it was charging, icon came on, phone made the noise when it was plugged in, it actually wouldn't take a charge. We tried buying a new battery and swapping with my battery but neither would charge in his phone though they were both fine in mine.

We got the phone replaced on insurance and it sat in pieces for a few months. We then put his brother's motherboard in his phone primarily because the screen was smashed but it was in pretty bad condition with buttons missing etc.

I recently decided to see if I could rebuild the phone for my daughter. I have replaced nearly everything in the phone, all buttons, flex cables, (wifi cable still to arrive), charging dock, literally everything. The phone works, much to my amazement and the excitement of my daughter. However it still charges slowly. It does at least take a charge but can take as long as 24 hrs to fully charge. It initially lost it's charge extremely quickly even when not in use, however usage time has appeared to increase after a few cycles.

So, logic tells me that obviously the problem is on the motherboard. My suspects are of course the fuses (hopefully) or an IC. My question then is how do I test them exactly and what is your opinion on the most likely cause of the problem? And where is the best place to source these products? I've looked for IC's but they seem rather expensive and I have only found them on Alibaba and I haven't seen the fuses.

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to avoid breaking it while trying to fix it if possible and I don't want to spend a whole heap of money on it if it can be avoided. If it is more cost effective I will buy a broken phone and use it for parts.
Old 03-17-2012, 15:56   #47 (permalink)

Member: 1735517
A few extra things that might help. The phone is not overheating when charging. It also will charge on the wall charger only, it will not charge plugged into the computer. It is detected by the computer and shows that it is charging but it either isn't letting through enough voltage or the battery is draining faster than the computer can charge it. Possibly the cause of the slow charge from the wall charger. I'm thinking, if it's draining quickly due to a short circuit somewhere that would have the result of appearing to charge slowly. Although battery life has improved after a few cycles it still discharges quicker than it should.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31   #48 (permalink)

Member: 1664272
Similiar issue. I have a 3gs and replaced the dock connector due to a bad speaker. Now it won't charge with either dock connector, new or old. The battery fuse and charging fuses show continuity, these here:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/6yvrTqhFHxS4EIHZ

My voltmeter is a centech 90899 and shows "1" before touching anything, then when I touch the leads on the meter together, it blinks, which did the same when I touched the fuses. Those are the smallest fuses I've ever seen. I don't think my battery is bad, because it has always worked, it was just a bad speaker I had and that's why I replaced the dock connector, now no charging on either dock. I did just test the battery too, and the voltage is reading 3.77v, so looks like battery is ok. Would this fix work in my situation? And can I do it with a normal soder gun.
Old 02-05-2013, 16:41   #49 (permalink)

Member: 1879398
Smile Iphone 3gs 16gb

Hi, I was wondering if someone could possibly help me? I have recently started fixing iphones as a little hobbie, ive been given an iphone 3gs by one of my mates, he dropped it and it hasnt worked since, the screen was coming away from the casing and the volume and mute button are damaged. I stripped the phone apart and cant really see any major damage to the insides of the phone. I also own an iphone 3gs 16gb so i tried his motherboard in my phone and it doesnt seem to power up. I cant see no immediate damage to the motherboard in comparison to mine, Any ideas on what the issue could be or how i could go about fixing it? hes not a 100% if there is any water damage but i cant see any rust/corrison on the motherboard.

Thanks