GSM-Forum

GSM-Forum (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/)
-   iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f631/)
-   -   iPhone 3gs, what chip is damaged? (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f631/iphone-3gs-what-chip-damaged-1120272/)

alexlaboratory 10-22-2010 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobygoodbar (Post 6475664)
it allows you to plug in a usb cable to a firewire port. ...or in theory. i think it was ACTUALLY meant to plug in a firewire DEVICE to a usb port. there was non documentation with the product so i figured this must be what it was intended for AFTER the fact. so voltage from the computers firewire port went somewhere it shouldnt in the iphone.

just to clarify, ok so solder 1 to 2 or use a jumper wire right to link them right?

yes just use a wire and link them

tobygoodbar 10-22-2010 04:24

that was harder than it sounded. still no sync or charge

alexlaboratory 10-22-2010 04:41

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7...ingproblem.jpg

This SOLUTION been posted by other member, I haven personally tested because I never had the need to.

This is serious hardware work and you must at your own risk.

tobygoodbar 10-22-2010 04:43

just to make sure, i tried it powered on and plugged in to computer to check for sync or charge while making sure i had an absolutly strong jumper connection and while nothing happened, when i pulled the probe out of the vase it shorted for a tiny second against metal bezel (ground) and the computer gave me a notice i was drawing too much power. so its very obvious that juice is flowing at least up until that point.

tobygoodbar 10-22-2010 04:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexlaboratory (Post 6475751)
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7...ingproblem.jpg

This SOLUTION been posted by other member, I haven personally tested because I never had the need to.

This is serious hardware work and you must at your own risk.

i'm not sure i understand whats happening in the diagram or what it attempts to achieve.

and that pic is a 3gs correct?

also is there a proper way to remove the aluminum that covers up that area of the phone?

MPhoneClinic 10-22-2010 04:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobygoodbar (Post 6475761)
i'm not sure i understand whats happening in the diagram or what it attempts to achieve.

and that pic is a 3gs correct?

also is there a proper way to remove the aluminum that covers up that area of the phone?

First of all, just replace another battery with GENUINE 3Gs battery (i repeat a GENUINE 3Gs battery) most likely will fixed your problem.

to remove the shield, you just need some sort of a small flat head screw driver or a guitar spectrum.

the above picture is correct for 3Gs USB docking filter, if you cannot find the replacement filters then do the link as shown the above picture.

Good luck!!

alexlaboratory 10-22-2010 05:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPhoneClinic (Post 6475785)
First of all, just replace another battery with GENUINE 3Gs battery (i repeat a GENUINE 3Gs battery) most likely will fixed your problem.

to remove the shield, you just need some sort of a small flat head screw driver or a guitar spectrum.

the above picture is correct for 3Gs USB docking filter, if you cannot find the replacement filters then do the link as shown the above picture.

Good luck!!

Yes, I suggested to replaced the battery before getting deep into hardware
It's much safer also for a nubie.

tobygoodbar 10-22-2010 05:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPhoneClinic (Post 6475785)

Good luck!!

i'm not trying to dispute you on the battery issue, but have you read my original post in full?
there's much reason to believe its not the battery. if after reading it in full, if you still feel the same way about the battery please let me know.

what do the docking filters do?

alexlaboratory 10-22-2010 05:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobygoodbar (Post 6475793)
i'm not trying to dispute you on the battery issue, but have you read my original post in full?
there's much reason to believe its not the battery. if after reading it in full, if you still feel the same way about the battery please let me know.

The filter protect the phone for wrong polarity and over-voltage and mainly filter interference and supress voltage spicks(also sometimes cause by statick energy diference between units) cause by other devaices when you plug into the phone(like charger, computer,back batery etc etc)

Yes the BATTERY also has a over-voltage and over-current and smart power managment circut built in

So i would try another battery as a precaucion

MPhoneClinic 10-22-2010 05:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobygoodbar (Post 6475793)

I still recommend you to check or replace the battery first. and those FUSES and FILTERS from the above memtion posts. IF still o result, then those 2 ICs in the attach picture, i will replace them.

that's all

good luckhttp://img96.imageshack.us/img96/775...phonefront.jpg

tobygoodbar 10-22-2010 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexlaboratory (Post 6475791)
Yes, I suggested to replaced the battery before getting deep into hardware
It's much safer also for a nubie.

i don't mind getting into the hardware, i'm only a newbie to the internals of the iphone, not electronics. i don't really understand the inner workings of the iphone completely. just its basics from exploring and reading any tidbits i could find. thats why my own amateur diagnosis was the usb ic chip. but since its reacts to things plugged into the usb i'm not so sure. anyway thats how i stumbled onto this site. people seem very knowledgeable here

i'm no stranger to soldering circuit boards, or swapping out known defective components on such things as audio amplifier boards, or fixing electrical connections large and small.

no offense taken though! :D

i just need guidance as where to concentrate while looking for a solution or bad component. i am very appreciative for any and all help. especially thanx to alexlaboratory. you've been working hard to help me. thank you again!

tobygoodbar 10-22-2010 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexlaboratory (Post 6475809)
The filter protect the phone for wrong polarity and over-voltage and mainly filter interference and supress voltage spicks(also sometimes cause by statick energy diference between units) cause by other devaices when you plug into the phone(like charger, computer,back batery etc etc)

Yes the BATTERY also has a over-voltage and over-current and smart power managment circut built in

So i would try another battery as a precaucion

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPhoneClinic (Post 6475863)
I still recommend you to check or replace the battery first. and those FUSES and FILTERS from the above memtion posts. IF still o result, then those 2 ICs in the attach picture, i will replace them.

that's all

good luckhttp://img96.imageshack.us/img96/775...phonefront.jpg

thank you for the explanation, now that i know what they do, since you both strongly believe it could still be the battery, i will try that first.

the idea of bypassing a fuse doesn't seem as bad to me as bypassing the filters. that seems more of a last resort.

@ mphone: yes, i checked the fuses already. i am thinking of checking the one on the battery itself too? waste of time?? (if you read my original post you will see it does "un officially trickle charge", which tells me current is reaching it, but is mostly weak from bad connection or some kind of incurred resistance somewhere)

alexlaboratory 10-22-2010 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobygoodbar (Post 6475872)
thank you for the explanation, now that i know what they do, since you both strongly believe it could still be the battery, i will try that first.

the idea of bypassing a fuse doesn't seem as bad to me as bypassing the filters. that seems more of a last resort.

@ mphone: yes, i checked the fuses already. i am thinking of checking the one on the battery itself too? waste of time?? (if you read my original post you will see it does "un officially trickle charge", which tells me current is reaching it, but is mostly weak from bad connection or some kind of incurred resistance somewhere)

Your reasoning is correct, and the filters could be the answer..........but please check battery and change if possible.

MPhoneClinic 10-22-2010 05:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobygoodbar (Post 6475872)

It a must to check that Fuse as well.

thanks

tobygoodbar 10-22-2010 05:29

i will obtain the battery which will probly take a few days, then report back here wether it worked or not.

if not, i will ask for help with the filters.
was that diagram for bypassing the filters by some means?
if it turns out to be one of the ICs, those require a special equipment to change, correct?