GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 16:33   #1 (permalink)

Member: 1915044
Thanks Meter: 0
iPhone 4 No WIFI

Hi all

I have an iPhone 4 here which I received today which has the wifi option greyed out in the settings.

Apparently (can't confirm this) is has had no liquid ingress.

It does have a MAC address when I check in the network settings so I guess the broadcom chip is doing it's thing. Bluetooth doesn't seem to do much but other devices CAN find the iphone and pair with it, though always ends up saying "device not supported".

Upon inspecting the inside of the phone it is missing two screws on the wifi antenna, one 1.4mm and one 1.6mm screw. I moved the remaining 1.6mm screw to the other location but didn't help. I also cleaned the metal contacts but still didn't work.

One thing I will say is the antenna comes off very easily. I'm sure the last iphone I had this was difficult to take off.

So does anyone have any ideas? I really need wifi on this phone but will a replacment antenna/screws really affect it that much? I would have thought it would still get a wifi signal, just not a very strong one.

I can't see any corrosion anywhere.

I'd really, really appreciate any help!
Old 04-11-2013, 19:30   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 1016641
Thanks Meter: 11
Retro, the antenna connector has nothing to do with wifi.

You should find and install the LONG screw at the top of the motherboard. That one is essential !

Also, before you do that, make sure you have the metal piece that clips on the top shield and the above screw goes through it.

It is better shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeiG5Nm1kcc

Still, I don't think that the missing screw and clip would trigger the greyed out wifi behaviour.

Use the search on this forum (or simply browse the sticky area) as great people were kind enough to provide all of us with tested solutions for various issues.

Last edited by x-33; 04-11-2013 at 19:38.
Old 04-11-2013, 19:35   #3 (permalink)

Member: 1915044
Thanks Meter: 0
Weird but I opened it up and under the A4 chip shielding there was a little bit of corrosion and it looked a bit burned on the shiled itself. There is a smallish inductor there with six gold pads, a few of those were tarnished and a little black.

I also noticed there was a tiny bit of gunk/fluff on the small white 6 pin thing near the wifi antenna contact so I cleaned that off.

I thought that was the end of it as I had no idea what to do next.

So I put it all back together and.. wifi now works fine!

No idea what happened but I guess whoever took it apart before messed something up.