GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 18:31   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2230035
Thanks Meter: 0
iphone 4S DFU mode and error 9 after "repair"

Hello everybody

I received an iPhone 4S with a water damage, i cleaned the mainboard with ultrasonic and there was a short between the battery + and ground.

I found out that U17 (LED driver) made a short and so i removed it. After that the phone worked normaly and i could restore it to factory defaults. All connections worked fine and i could also phone with the iphone.

I added the shields again and reassambled the whole phone, also now everything worked fine. But then i turned the phone to put on the rear glass and after the last two screws, the screen remained black.

I pluged it to my macbook and there i had to restore it again, so i tried but then the error 9 appeared.

i have checked the solutions with capacitors around the nand chip and the faulty capacitors near the display plug. But there is nothing unusual...

Do you have another hint for me?

Thanks and greets from switzerland
Old 08-13-2014, 20:38   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1873863
Thanks Meter: 67
Error 9 is problem with usb communication, tried to change dock connector or usb cable ?

Switzerland where ?

Greets
Old 08-13-2014, 23:54   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the answer. i'm at work till friday, then i will try with another dock connector. i have already changed the usb cable for a test, but no success...

i live near lenzburg and i work in zurich.

greets
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21   #4 (permalink)

hey guys

tried another dock connector but there is still the error 9 on itunes. do you have another idea?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:22   #5 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 841784
Thanks Meter: 52
try to change u2 ic check phone if grounded.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:25   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

U2 is on iphone 5, but here we are talking about iphone 4S

@capture, the problem can be on some components near the dock flat connector on the board, i have to search the schematics but there is two coils to check for continuity.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:26   #7 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Check L1 if there is continuity or if it is damaged.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:51   #8 (permalink)

thanks, but L1 is not damaged

I connect the phone, then it's in recovery/dfu mode and i start to restore. As soon as the statusbar for the update appears, the screen goes black
Old 08-16-2014, 21:43   #9 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Oh ok this is another useful info.

If the status bar does not progress, then it is possible a problem with the NAND Flash.
I had the same, similar problem with an ipad that was dropped , and nand stopped working, so at first i had the progress bar stuck at 0% for 15min, then error 9.

You say that your phone was only water damaged, so try to check the voltages that comes to the nand, if they are all here, and if you don't have shorts (especially the 3.3v )

** EDIT : Oooooppss... sorry.. i had re-read and seen that you already have checked nand...