GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 14:36   #16 (permalink)
Major Poster

Member: 1697956
Thanks Meter: 3

it was with water damage and now is stuck with itunes cable and give error 1611
Old 08-22-2012, 13:36   #17 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 1017374
Thanks Meter: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by yair27 View Post
it was with water damage and now is stuck with itunes cable and give error 1611
Remove red marked components from this post http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/8691333-post83.html
Old 08-22-2012, 17:32   #18 (permalink)
Major Poster

Hi Wites,
i take the number 3 red(home button) but still its getting 1611..the itunes start and at the iphone its start the apple sign with the bar and then it slowly start to get black and turn on again..
and befor someone tald me to take this out and i was take it off..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 062410_mainboard_s2.jpg (107.3 KB, 448 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 18:00   #19 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yair27 View Post
Hi Wites,
i take the number 3 red(home button) but still its getting 1611..the itunes start and at the iphone its start the apple sign with the bar and then it slowly start to get black and turn on again..
and befor someone tald me to take this out and i was take it off..
i not said to remove in 3 step but in 1 step so not rephrase what i write in solution.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56   #20 (permalink)
Major Poster

Hello again,
i was take this cap off but still error 1611
Old 08-26-2012, 15:48   #21 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 774915
Thanks Meter: 1,643
Donate money to this user
brother for iphone 4 mybe baseband problem i had same problem also i restored the phone with no basebasnd custom file then phone restored but imei was 000
so first tray one no baseband file u will understand mybe baseband ic problem
Old 08-26-2012, 17:51   #22 (permalink)

Member: 1159444
Thanks Meter: 7
i think 16xx Errors is caused in battery or connection problems.

Battery Contacts are clean and resolderd?
Battery by itself is in good condition?
Did you try other dockconnector?
Old 08-29-2012, 23:22   #23 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 271255
Thanks Meter: 9
Ok, Been in the biz for 19 years. I have a customer who was pushed in a pool with his 4s. The phone had no power when it ws brought in. I Stripped it down to Mobo, cleaned all the flex clips and nothing. Then scrubbed down the board with my solvent(Amonia based), then let it soak a few hours, scrubbed again, then dried over night in Mobo drier.

This morning it got on the Apple logo showing for about 7 seconds then off for 7 then on again. Tested everything else on phone with another board and it all worked, so its gotta be the Mobo.

When I tried to reset in recovery mode it errored out with 21. Then I tried DMU and again, after a while, it errored out again. For whatever reason, Itunes on my PC wont allow me to update, but I figure its probably the Mobo. I guess I could do the whole uninstall and reinstall Itunes, but it did get to apple and load the FW, so I thought the connection was there.

The shematic you show is for a 4g, do you have the exact place on a 4s when error 21 won't let you restore the phone? BTW..Nothing happens when power button is pressed. Thanx in advance...and the future
Old 08-30-2012, 11:34   #24 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakCelln View Post
Ok, Been in the biz for 19 years. I have a customer who was pushed in a pool with his 4s. The phone had no power when it ws brought in. I Stripped it down to Mobo, cleaned all the flex clips and nothing. Then scrubbed down the board with my solvent(Amonia based), then let it soak a few hours, scrubbed again, then dried over night in Mobo drier.

This morning it got on the Apple logo showing for about 7 seconds then off for 7 then on again. Tested everything else on phone with another board and it all worked, so its gotta be the Mobo.

When I tried to reset in recovery mode it errored out with 21. Then I tried DMU and again, after a while, it errored out again. For whatever reason, Itunes on my PC wont allow me to update, but I figure its probably the Mobo. I guess I could do the whole uninstall and reinstall Itunes, but it did get to apple and load the FW, so I thought the connection was there.

The shematic you show is for a 4g, do you have the exact place on a 4s when error 21 won't let you restore the phone? BTW..Nothing happens when power button is pressed. Thanx in advance...and the future
You think clean is first what i do if phone is water damaged?Don't buy phones thinking that a clean will fix corroded components then you can't fix and sell in worser condition,you want that someone show exact location of problem that will not happen because not all phones have same problem if you are technician then open schematic and find problem on your own in this way you could find all problems easy only by looking on board with microscope and testing with multimeter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wites OM Tesla For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2012, 18:15   #25 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wites View Post
You think clean is first what i do if phone is water damaged?Don't buy phones thinking that a clean will fix corroded components then you can't fix and sell in worser condition,you want that someone show exact location of problem that will not happen because not all phones have same problem if you are technician then open schematic and find problem on your own in this way you could find all problems easy only by looking on board with microscope and testing with multimeter.
Ok, I understand there may be a language barrier here so I'll walk softly. I am not a factory trained technician. I do not know the components on a Mobo. I have been opening and fixing phones for over 19 years. I started as a normal cell phone store, quickly became the largest for AT&T in my state, then tailed off as the SP's went in a different direction and basically forced out all the "old School" Guys that built their industry. I fell back onto my Cellular Repair skills and now do soley that along with refurbishing phones for the big 4 SP's.

I have saved hundreds(Maybe even over 1000) liquid damaged phones over the years by stripping the phone down carefully, cleaning all the components, letting then dry, and reassembling. I usually try to follow the burn marks trail through the MoBo and flexes and lightly clean them with a soft toothbrush and my solvent. I have about a 75% overall succes rate at saving a liquid damaged phone utilizing this method.

I do not know where you got I bought this particular iPhone 4s from; it was a customer that brought it in as I stated in my OP. Since I got the lcd, digitizer, and everything else to work in the phone, Except the Mobo, I figured maybe I could utilize your solution mentioned above for a similar phone because I was getting the error 21 when trying to reload the FW.

I do not know how to test the components with a multimeter, but would love to learn. I just wanted to know if there was something I could do to help get this phone back up and running and was willing to try something new.

I can see by alot of your posts you have added invaluable information on this forum. But I also see a few posts that come accross snide and patronistic. This makes no sense to me when your posting in, and a big part of, an informational forum; peeps come here to learn and trade ideas.

I would think the overwhelming majority of readers on this form, do not have a multimeter, know how to use it, or know how to read a schematic, but that's why were here, and thats why this forum exists.

Once again, I thank you for the information you give; but is there anything you can suggest I do for my problem.
Old 08-31-2012, 22:02   #26 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1792323
Thanks Meter: 49
my friend i can tell you water damage iphone almost NEVER works 100percent with just a simple "cleaning" you have to have knowledge of circuits, active/passive components , memorize schematics and still need a little luck; there is not one elemental "single" circuitor component to trigger error 21- there are several dozens paths of circuitry that will give error 21 or 16xx but you can start by looking at all the caps around U52 and U1 but if there is short or disconituity you must readyto reball- and did you know there are several layers of PCB in iphone if short or break is within the board you are screwed-listen you say you have experience but you dont sound like it , you should not be asking naive question to Wites it get him angry lol
The Following User Says Thank You to ps3xbox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2012, 23:52   #27 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3xbox View Post
my friend i can tell you water damage iphone almost NEVER works 100percent with just a simple "cleaning" you have to have knowledge of circuits, active/passive components , memorize schematics and still need a little luck; there is not one elemental "single" circuitor component to trigger error 21- there are several dozens paths of circuitry that will give error 21 or 16xx but you can start by looking at all the caps around U52 and U1 but if there is short or disconituity you must readyto reball- and did you know there are several layers of PCB in iphone if short or break is within the board you are screwed-listen you say you have experience but you dont sound like it , you should not be asking naive question to Wites it get him angry lol
I have saved, MINIMUM, 5o+ iPhones that had liquid damage utilizing this exact method; maybe youre not as experienced in this method as YOU think. My guess is the corrosion that I cleaned was blocking, shorting, or bridging something on the board or thru one of the flexes. Regardless, they did not work when the customer brought them in, and they did work when I finished. Unless I have some weird devine intervention happening in my store at night and should change my store name to "*** Cell Repair", they were repaired by me.

I told you I have a lot of experience in taking apart the phones, replacing parts, and cleaning Mobo's from liquid damage. I also told you I did not know the components on a MoBo, or how to read the schematic.

Why is it some of you feel the need to belittle despite being told by the ones youre belittling, they are novices. I havent been on this site in quite awhile, but hope this is not the direction it has turned. Hopefully it's just a few on this particular section.

The guy you don't want me to piss off said in a previous post, the fix for a error 21 and 16xx on a 4s was to remove some "Cap" on a certain part of the board. He referred to a pic that was a 4g or CDMA Board, not a 4s. I just wanted constructive clarrification; that's all.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:07   #28 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1792323
Thanks Meter: 49
hey nobody wants to belittle you or make you feel unwelcome dont take wrong way!!!the docking port is similar on 4 and 4s - the cap he is referring to is c227,- keep in mind you dont remove that cap if its not shorted or if its in range(27pF)- its the cap associated with the home/menu key , sometimes when it shorts you get 16xx errors but first change the dock port/battery assuming its hardware related (software related 16xx/21 errors could be jailbroken/ hacktivated firmware yadayada). There is also a diode in the ipn4 which may be bad, but in 4s, also check resistor 57 its near u8 (under the a5chip ) which is he logicbuffer pre pulldown for the pp1v8 (powerline)for the home/power key
The Following User Says Thank You to ps3xbox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 18:34   #29 (permalink)
Insane Poster

OK. I'm trying to find out if it is Jailbroken, but the customer cannot get in touch with her son because he is in the MTs. Camping. But I thought even if it was Jailbroken, it can still be reloaded in DMU mode. I will try changing out the ports; I already tried the battery swap. Is there a schematic with a diagram clearly labeling these components(Resistor 57, U8,a5chip, c227) and where theyre located? If this is uber elementary, I appologize.

I take it the range your speaking of is connected to the useage of the pre-mentioned multimeter. This doesnt sound like something that can be taught thru a forum. Do you guys have a stateside repair facility, or know of one that is trustworthy enough to fix this?

If it is something that can be taught thru this forum, I'd be willing to learn.
Old 12-06-2012, 13:28   #30 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1085383
Thanks Meter: 14
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wites OM Tesla View Post
There is an capacitor soldered to Menu Key remove it.
thx very very much i remove thid capasitor c227 and 4s was restored perfect..thx wites you really best of the best..