GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 02:36   #1 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1817312
Thanks Meter: 13
iPhone 5/5S/5C cables shearing internally on small drops

I get a lot of customers who have dropped their phones "lightly" (small drop, in cases, no physical exterior damage or broken screen) but the screen cable interconnects have been damaged and there's either partial touch or small amounts of vertical banding on the screens.

Is there a way to help avoid this sort of thing happening as often? I suspect it's probably caused by 3rd party screens having some slop in the chassis fit (ESPECIALLY with the 5C being a polycarbonate case). The sloppy fit means the screen moves around during the drop but since the logic board connects are tightly secured the strain instead becomes focused on the LCD/touch connections in the screen, cracking/shearing them.

Normally this wouldn't be such a problem, except for the fact that 5/5C/5S screens have doubled in price recently and are in short supply.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2080974
Thanks Meter: 12
Buy original quality lcds, and it will work even if the front glass cracked...
Old 09-11-2015, 12:36   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1817312
Thanks Meter: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyurma85 View Post
Buy original quality lcds, and it will work even if the front glass cracked...
This isn't a problem with them cracking, most times the screen doesn't crack at all.

It's a problem with the flex leads taking the strain/shock at the internal joins in the LCD & touch when the phone is dropped, rather than the shock being dissipated elsewhere. The connectors to the PCB can't torque off because they're retained quite firmly by the compression pad and metal retainer plate.

It happens *mostly* on iP5C units because the polycarbonate case flexes a lot more and tends to become looser over a few repairs (where's the 5S/5 you can usually bring back to true acceptably well using things like the gTool corner tool)

I've had a few *original* displays do the same thing, so it's not limited to refurbished or OEM/clones. It's an engineering issue.
Old 10-10-2015, 20:38   #4 (permalink)

Member: 872875
Thanks Meter: 0
Tks i have small drops iphone5, no crack screen but on lcd have one black lines from top to bottom. FLEX Cable errors ?. Help me repair. Tks. Sorry my english
Old 10-11-2015, 07:33   #5 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2289832
Thanks Meter: 48
this is realy annoying sometimes. U open the device to repair something else and u have to change the screen at the end and customer not want to pay because it was working well before opened. After a few movement the lcd or digitizer flex or the joints at lcd damages. This happens if the customer changed lcd before and it is bad quality.