GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2045117
Thanks Meter: 7
iPhone 5 compass / screen rotation don't work

Hi!

I've got an iPhone 5 with a little water damage. After cleaning the board with an ultrasonic cleaner, and replacing the LCD it was working again . Only now the compass function doesn't work it always change the position even if the phone is on a table. Also the screen rotation don't work properly, I think this is related to the compass problem.

Is there a solution for it?
Old 03-31-2014, 21:07   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1873863
Thanks Meter: 67
already had 2 iphone5 water damaged with same issue.

Solution : replace both compass chip and orientation/gyroscope chip.
Old 03-31-2014, 21:21   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Ok, can you show me the location of the chips? And it cannot be a damaged capacitor or resistor ?
Old 03-31-2014, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
Freak Poster

In my two cases, i have tried everything, and as last resort i have changed the chips and then immediately everything worked again.
I can't upload now the picture, if you have the schematics you can find easily where they are.

The compass chip is the little square chip near front camera connector.
The Following User Says Thank You to laptopmd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 21:26   #5 (permalink)
Freak Poster

it is soldered on a board adapter, be careful when you desolder the chip, to not remove the little board between logicboard and chip
Old 03-31-2014, 21:29   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Ok, I will give it a try!
Old 04-04-2014, 21:56   #7 (permalink)
Freak Poster

I got a second one with water damaged and it now have the same problem (only now compass isn't working at all, gives no value)).

Since I am not confident with the iPhone 5 board I am not sure how to replace this IC (and how to measure if it is faulty) and which IC's I have to replace exactly. I would appreciate if someone can provide me a picture of the exact location of the IC's I have to check/replace.

I've found 1 compass IC now, it is located near the FPC connector for the front camera.

A reball/reflow wouldn't fix the problem?
Old 04-04-2014, 22:45   #8 (permalink)
Freak Poster

I have tried reflowing, and reballing, but nothing worked.

You can install an app called Sensor Monitor, so you see which chip is working and which not.

I think that when in contact with water, the chip just die and need to be replaced...
Old 04-05-2014, 10:06   #9 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Thank you for the suggestion of Sensor Motion, it is perfect! I found out the only the compass IC gives me an incorrect value. I think this problem is related to the IC which is located near the rear camera FPC connector (right?)

I did some measurements (see picture) but I am not sure which kind of components they are. I have an iPhone 5 schematic but the layout is not the same as this board. (see picture) Does someone have a schematic for this board?

Old 04-06-2014, 12:09   #10 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Some results:

I have replaced the compass IC at the iPhone (the one which was changing the position even if it was on a flat table).

First I removed the IC and checked what it did, it gave me no value (look OK to me) Then I placed another IC, and now the phone still gives me another value even if I don't move the phone.

Without IC:

Other IC soldered:
Old 04-06-2014, 13:22   #11 (permalink)
Freak Poster

The compass measure, does not depend only from 1 chip, but it is a mix of compass ic + gyroscope and maybe acceleration chip.
Maybe you need to change even another chip. On one of the iphone5 that i have repaired, i had to replace all 3 chips because even if they worked, the signals was wrong, too low or too high values.

You have a working phone, to compare the values of the 3 sensors ?

Compass chip and gyroscope chip are near the edge of the board (gyroscope is exactly opposite side of compass), so if the phone was water damaged, it is possible that those two chip need replacement (you already did it with compass)
Old 04-06-2014, 13:26   #12 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Schermata 2014-04-06 alle 14.23.50.jpg

Location of Gyroscope and Compass ic on iphone 5
Old 04-06-2014, 15:17   #13 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Ok, but they gyro and accelerator sensor are working correctly in the sensormonitor app (compered to a full working phone). Maybe the IC I used for replacing is also faulty since it comes from a non working board. I already ordered some new IC"s, hope they arrive this week.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:18   #14 (permalink)

Member: 2220513
Thanks Meter: 1
Hi there, I was wondering if the phone could function without the U16 gyro sensor. From whom can I buy one?? Please help me a bit
Old 08-30-2014, 20:57   #15 (permalink)

Member: 2220513
Thanks Meter: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00rtje View Post
Hi there, I was wondering if the phone could function without the U16 gyro sensor. From whom can I buy one?? Please help me a bit
I meant u16 compass sensor of course.... I bought a broken i5 and found the compass sensor being half melted away... When I was heating it up with a heat-gun, I was stupid to put my tool to soon and I popped off the U16 chip, but also the little board underneath it :-( I was shocked about my dum action, but I will have to live and deal with it. I am thinking to jumper all the contacts from the little sub board after soldering a new U16 compass sensor. I ordered a bare logic board to see how the copper tracks go underneath the sub board and to know which side of the filters I have to solder the jumper wire at.

Only thing I was wondering about: Should the phone work without this sensor, or not... Does anyone have a clue?
The Following User Says Thank You to m00rtje For This Useful Post: