GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 21:30   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 2757091
Thanks Meter: 0
Iphone home button not working at all

Hi there,
Got an iphone 8 with a broken glass, nothing extraordinary.
Changed the screen, i have been very carrefull with the home button but when i swiched on the phone it bootlooped.
Connected it to 3utools and managed to restore it.
Now it boots fine and quickly but the home button is not working at all, no touch id and no return function.

I’m almost sure the home button is fine, if it was the turtle ic i should at least have the touch id function, no ?

What could i check first in case of a motherboard issue ?
What would a pro do first ?

Thanks all
Old 10-11-2018, 00:23   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 82502
Thanks Meter: 3
I suggest you check the home button flex on the screen you changed.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:33   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Hi,
I obviously already tryed with the old broken screen that was working even with the crack and i have no more home button as well with this one. The home button seems good so what can i check on the motherboard side for a non detected home button ?
Old 10-11-2018, 13:34   #4 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2498972
Thanks Meter: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nAthOs View Post

I’m almost sure the home button is fine, if it was the turtle ic i should at least have the touch id function, no ?

What could i check first in case of a motherboard issue ?
What would a pro do first ?

Thanks all
Yes, if the issue was strictly a Turtle IC, you would still have TouchID. I would look closely at the home button again. Do it with maginfication as even the tiniest tear can cause issues. Also look at the flex that comes out from under the screen to connect to the home button. then do the same thing to the other end of the flex, the one that connects to the locgic board. It tends to tear in the corner. Inspect all of that before considering a logic board issue.
Old 10-11-2018, 18:06   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Ok, i just spent 15 minutes looking as closely as i can the home button and there is absolutly nothing to see, it is as new. I have a reading on all the pins of the button connector too. I tested 3 different screens and i restored the phone each time with each screen. I’m now almost sure the issue comes from the motherboard. When the phone reboot after the restore, it does not show the virtual home button as i thought it should when there is no home button connected and the phone boots pretty fast, usually it takes forever to boot without the button and it is not the case, it’s strange.
What reading in ohms and voltages should i have on the mainboard connector ?
Old 10-11-2018, 21:09   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

ok, i took some voltages one the small motherboard connector (J5800 ?) and it seems that I should have a reading on each corner pins, 1.8v or 3.0v
I have those on one side but the two ones one the other side are missing, on the speaker side.
Missing voltages seem to be PP1V8_MESA_CONN and PP3V0_MESA_CONN (on iPhone 7 schematics, i Don't have iPhone 8 schematics)
The readings in ohms are good one these lines

I Don't have the schematics for the iPhone 8 so it's hard for me to go further.

any idea ?
Old 10-12-2018, 18:40   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Hi there ! Any idea ?
Old 10-15-2018, 19:49   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

ok, I double checked and i said bull****s, i was reading the schematics in the wrong way.
I do have the 1v8_mesa_conn and the 3v0_mesa_conn
But I Don't have the 16v0_mesa_conn on pin 8, the reading in ohms is .505 and that seems good, should I Always have 16V on this line ?

thanks all
Old 10-15-2018, 20:52   #9 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 821646
Thanks Meter: 507
Donate money to this user
The 16v is generated when the home button is connected and while the phone is booted in OS.
Old 10-16-2018, 16:54   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Ok so i really don’t understand.
The button is in perfect condition, the readings in ohms on the button and on the mainboard connector are good, i have all the needed voltages.
What can it be ?
Old 10-16-2018, 17:46   #11 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2498972
Thanks Meter: 33
Sorry, I was away for a few days.

Check the button flex again ;>).

BTW, you can use the 8 Plus schematics, it should be virtually the same for the mesa circuit.
Old 10-17-2018, 21:39   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Hi Minho,
If the button flex was torn, some readings would be missing on the connector and all the readings are fine, no ?
Old 10-20-2018, 18:58   #13 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

No one has any idea of what can be the issue wih my home button ? I only changed the screen and i have been really carefull with it, i really don’t understand.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:55   #14 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2691507
Thanks Meter: 100
Donate money to this user
The only way to find out buy a home button even that you won't have touch ID, just to test.
The button should be only few $
If button works then definitely your original home button is damaged. Basic trouble shooting.

I just had a case like that and person wanted the touch ID to work so opted to pay some top money to get the IC info copy to the new button.
Apple told that person to buy an new phone witch is about $700 versus getting a new button and transfer IC or copy for couple hundreds. a choice.
Old 10-24-2018, 13:25   #15 (permalink)
Major Poster

Member: 2161397
Thanks Meter: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2017 View Post
The only way to find out buy a home button even that you won't have touch ID, just to test.
The button should be only few $
If button works then definitely your original home button is damaged. Basic trouble shooting.

I just had a case like that and person wanted the touch ID to work so opted to pay some top money to get the IC info copy to the new button.
Apple told that person to buy an new phone witch is about $700 versus getting a new button and transfer IC or copy for couple hundreds. a choice.
NO CAN DO! Even home button won't work (the actual button), not just touch ID. You can not replace home button on iPhone 7 & 8 without apple. When you loose home or touch ID.. You better prepare 200$ for whole front part replacement.