GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Product Support Sections > Hard/Software Products (official support) > Octopus/Octoplus > Octopus Samsung/Octoplus Samsung

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016, 22:18   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 40884
Thanks Meter: 4
SM-G920F "emergency calls only" "No Network" very strange problem

I have Samsung S6 (SM-G920F) brand new. Story goes... It has previously been sent to cowboy 'repair shop' to have it unlocked and the shop messed up. They returned it with IMEI showing 35000000000006. The original EFS has been lost but I quickly did a backup of EFS & security with Octoplus and when I restore the 'original' EFS the IMEI is 35000000000006. Also, recovery mode shows "dm verity verification failed need to check DRK first" after latest update via Smart Switch using "recovery and initialization" option but it hangs on Samsung logo but it does go through fine when the phone is rooted using S6_UniKernel.

I solved all those problems above and now the phone has original serial number with a working/tested IMEI and flashed with 4 file firmware 5.1.1 (G920FXXU3COI9_G920FBTU3COJ1_BTU) the only firmware that works with Odin. All other firmware in the support area fails using Octoplus. I tried so many other 5.1.1 firmware files, certs, and EFS files from working S6 models, just incase and all seems to go well.

The phone shows correct serial, IMEI, and all other functions work fine...

BUT... the phone ONLY shows "emergency calls only" "No Network". However, it does nearly always pick up the name of the Sim-card service provider on start up and in the settings under 'Access Point Names'. The Signal bars seem to be there but no 4g or H+ or 3G ever shows. When I scan for "mobile networks" manually, it sometimes finds the network operators but always fails to connect to network. IMEI status OK in service mode.

Settings > status shows: network: unknown > Service status: Out of service > mobile network state: disconnected. But the phone pops up with name of network operator of which ever Sim-card in insert. Very strange.

Have been working on it for 3 days straight but unable to figure it out. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by rafick; 02-20-2016 at 22:24.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:05   #2 (permalink)
Product Supporter

Member: 1146942
Sonork: 100.1587278
Thanks Meter: 27,411
Hello.

Try to make an "Unlock" operation, then try to find and select Network manually.
Note: You should remove SIM card from the phone before performing the operation.

Quote:
the phone is rooted using S6_UniKernel
This fact might cause problems with an "Unlock" operation. We recommend to use CF Auto Root, to root SM-G920F.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:08   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Thanks for your reply/suggestions.

I have now rooted the phone with 'CF auto root' and removed the Sim-card to do an unlock process again. All went well no problems, but the issue remains the same. When I manually select network it finds a few and when I select the correct one it says "the selected network in unavailable" "not registering on network" try later, nor matter which Sim-card/network I use (all working Sims). I get "emergency calls only" all the time. The strange thing is that is picks up the service provider on boot up and asks me to select the correct network. It also picks up the voicemail on one Sim-card but obviously I can't dial out.

I have had this sort of problem before with other Samsung models (S4, S3... etc) and I used to flash a 'custom modem' file or use 'network repair' option or 'flash the QCN' files to resolve such problems. But with the Samsung S6 (SM-G920F) these options are not available in any of the repair boxes because I think it's a new qualcomm?

I need something similar for the SM-G920F.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:43   #4 (permalink)
Product Supporter

SM-G920F is Exynos-based phone and doesn't have a QCN.

Please perform "Read Cert" operation, then try to writ a Cert file from the Support Area. Check whether phone obtains Network after writing of a Cert file.
Old 02-22-2016, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Have just tried new certs but same results. The certs work fine on another S6 phone.

I have installed "service mode" apps from app store and also installed 'Phone info' app. What I have noticed in the 'CSC CODE' section is that the Product code is blank (missing) others are all there - BTU, country, mobile operator etc

Is this a clue? and how can i fix this? I can't seem to find any other faults.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:11   #6 (permalink)
Product Supporter

In order to fix problem with CSC try to reflash the phone. You might need to root the phone, if it will have issues with turning on after writing of a firmware. We recommend to use CF Auto Root, to root SM-G920F.
Old 03-03-2016, 19:02   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

I have tried to re-flash a number of different firmware files but the problem remains.

I was able to temporary remove the "dm verity verification failed need to check DRK first" error message by flashing the 4 file firmware (5.1.1) and then it will get stuck on the Samsung logo, but again by flashing the same firmware but only the AP file below:

(AP_G920FXXU3COI9_CL5816106_QB6438203_REV02_user_l ow_ship.tar)

However, even with official firmware and not rooted the phone still has "emergency calls only" "No Network" error. The phone finds the network but no signal (cert is fine)

I done a check using Phone info app and it shows this:

Not sure if this information is helpful?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:09   #8 (permalink)
Product Supporter

Unfortunately, if You have refurbished phone, we can't say what exactly can cause issues with Network without having the phone on hands.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:20   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus box View Post
Unfortunately, if You have refurbished phone, we can't say what exactly can cause issues with Network without having the phone on hands.
Okay, I understand. Hopefully someone will read this thread and confirm if the phone has missing 'Manufacturing date' and 'Hardware revision' then it will cause No signal/emergency calls only error. Could it just be the phone-info app not being very accurate in it's report?

Thanks for your help, strange as the phone is brand new condition, I will just wait it out...
Old 03-22-2016, 22:14   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Just an update:

I decided to remove and replace the motherboard to reuse the 'brand new' screen and housing... and to my surprise I found that the motherboard was lightly water-damaged. I have cleaned the areas but have not tested the motherboard again. However, the question to my main problem "emergency calls only" "no service" has been answered. The baseband IC or other component[s] to do with signal maybe damaged. The Phone info app reported false information due to hardware problem. I hope this thread helps other people
Old 03-23-2016, 00:13   #11 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 1564612
Thanks Meter: 12,343
Donate money to this user
Remember Always that Many of these APP also from Original PlayStore are developed by FAKE Peoples, if you will have read Last Info about 100th of APP from google Play Store "CRAMPED" you will have had most knowledge and NEVER use APP for try to repair one Phone like you model.

Also Flash EFS from other Same phone isn't Good procedure....this is last attempt when have tryed in all mode of solve more advanced issue, not for Network where same Cert work fine in other same model.

Is obvius that from you history is HW problem.

I had one issue with one G925F accepting All fw , root, Kernel, Sboot, modem itc...but Always in Boot Loop, at the end after 4 days tryng via Sw have open phone and the problem was in the Flat of microusb connector, replaced this finish the Boot Loop and all other problem

BR
allumts