GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Other Gsm/Mobile Related Forums > Sim Cloning and Scaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 05:49   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2480961
Thanks Meter: 0
Is manual network selection retained in SIM?

A single question, but let me explain.....

I have 2 4G LTE modem/routers
Rogers Canada branded ZTE MF271A
AT&T USA Z700A (MF271A AT&T branded)

I am using these unlocked in in Mexico with a 4G LTE SIM from T Mobile USA

On the Rogers modem I can manually select the network.
On the AT&T I can not
on the AT&T modem I can make phone calls , on the Rogers modem there are issues with phone calls. I suspect this may have to do with VoLTE compatibility.

Since neither of these modems are compatible with Movistar 4G frequencies, I want to use them on Telcel. T Mobile allows roaming on both networks.

Sometimes the AT&T modem connects to Movistar at 3G and seems to lock in there. This occurrence seems random after the modem has been in the same location connected to Telcel 4G for weeks. If I put the SIM into a Rogers modem and do the manual network selection to Telcel 4G, I can then reinstall the SIM in the AT&T modem and it seems to stay there at Telcel 4G, at least for a while.

So my question is whether this is "dumb luck" with re-selecting the network in one device then swapping back to the device with no manual selection and having the setting stick , at least for a while.

Is the manual network selection retained in the SIM? If so why then would it change sometime later? Also, if not retained in the SIM, why does selecting it on one device then swapping devices seem to affect it?

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks in advance,

Mark