GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > LG > LG Android based phones

LG Android based phones General LG Android phones discussion, firmwares, solution, root, help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 399832
Sonork: Faheem Anjum
Thanks Meter: 24,307
Donate money to this user
Wink [GUIDE] [UNBRICK][ROOT] FLASH Any LG Factory ROM (kdz) WITH OFFLINE FIX

Thanks to all developers and contributors: Bin4ry , adixtra , unknown_world. I thank to all the users of this thread who gave feedback and reported issues time to time, which helped "us" to make this guide better and perfect.

First thing first, this is not my original work, I have just tried to consolidate all the scattered things together for SAFE and EASY flashing and rooting of L9 variants. Written this guide as many pals were having issues with OFFLINE KDZ FLASHING and help was scattered in many pages creating more confusion.
Wow! After so much of followup with xda mods, finally we got Home (Sub-Forum) for LG L9 series.

1. PLEASE, USE INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK & INTELLIGENCE.:cowboy:
  2. Flashing KDZ removes Root and CWM, so you will need to root again.
  3. Flashing KDZ does not wipe your data, but if you get bootloops you need to hard-reset it, so please backup data first.

LG Update Tool works on all versions of windows (xp/w7/w8-32/64bit) for flashing any version of Android (GB/ICS/JB). If it does not work on your windows, something is missing on your system and if anyone here cannot help you then, you have find your own ways. Don't expect Spoon-feeding for everything.

DEVICES FLASHED WITH THIS GUIDE AND TESTED OK: LG Optimus 2x (P990) and LG Optimus L9 (P76?)

This thread contains two "MAIN" separate parts.

-------------------------------------

[GUIDE] FLASH L9 Factory ICS/JB ROM WITH OFFLINE FIX + UNBRICK
Works perfect on Win-XP/W7/W8 32bit/64bit. UNBRICKS ALL SOFT-BRICKED L9 (P760/765/P768/P769)

TRUST ME THIS IS NOT LENGTHY PROCESS, I JUST HAVE PUT THEM IN EASY STEPS FOR COMPLETE NOOB PERSON. EXPERTS PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM COMMENTING HARSH ON ME.

THIS METHOD IS ALWAYS FASTER THAN ONLINE WITH PC SUITE, WHICH DOWNLOADS HUGE FILE ONLINE AND YOU NEED TO WAIT UNTIL IT FINISHES DOWNLOADING IN THE MIDDLE OF FLASHING.

In first part of this Guide, we are creating a Local Web-Server for LG Support Tool and will try everything which will PREVENT the tool to connect to real LG server over internet. We have to create SMALL SERVER on our own system and redirect tool to this webpage.

FIRST DOWNLOAD YOUR OWN OFFICIAL KDZ (LG ROM) FILE FROM MY ROM COLLECTION PAGE or from anywhere and proceed...

0) Precautions:
___A) Select "Debugging Mode" as ON (Ticked) in Phone Settings (Developer Section)
___B) Select "Install from Unknown Sources" as ON (Ticked) in Phone Settings (Security Section)
___C) Indian version of L9 does not come with "Lookout Security Antivirus" already installed. But KDZ from other countries may have it already installed, FORCE CLOSE AND UNINSTALL it from app manager. If you cannot uninstall, at least DISABLE it. This program is known to be preventing connection and rooting of device.
___D) Remove all other USB devices (external hdd, backup drives, other phones, etc) and cables connected to PC to avoid issued due to voltage loss. (example)
___E) OFFLINE KDZ FLASHING DOES NOT LOOSE PHONE DATA, BUT YOU MUST BACKUP YOUR PHONE IN ANY CASE.

1) Find NOTEPAD program from StartMenu of Windows and Right Click on it and run it with "Run as Administrator" option. Remember use "Run as Administrator" while opening, otherwise you will not be able to save it after changes.

Now you need to open "HOSTS" file located in folder "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\" with following method.

Click File Menu >>> Open File >>> Now copy-paste following in "Open File" Box.

Please note the opened file name is only "hosts" and does not have file-extension like txt or anything.

When file is opened, add following lines at bottom of "hosts" file, a file with no extension like txt/doc/xls.

Now SAVE file and Close it.

Content of Hosts file looks like this sample file. Close this file , because we may not need it after this point.
AND RESTART PC NOW (check if lines are still there after Restart. They should be there.)

2) INSTALLING SMALL SERVER: Download "shttps.zip" (attached below) and Extract the Zipped folder "shttps" in root of C-drive of your computer.
Now Right click on "C:\shttps\http.exe" file and "Run As Administrator" and in Windows Compatibility Mode with "WindowsXP SP3" (must for Win7/8) , a server status window will open "MINIMIZE IT BUT DONT CLOSE IT" and you will also see a SMALL SERVER icon in TASKBAR, like mentioned below.

WEBSERVER TESTING: If webserver is running correct, YOU SHOULD SEE A SWEET GIRL WITH L9 WHEN YOU CLICK THIS >>> Welcome to nginx!
If you don't see a GIRL, something is wrong. Start again.

COMING TO ACTUAL FLASH PROCESS.

3) Download (attached) and Extract "KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.zip" and save the folder on desktop or any suitable place on your hard-disk.

4) Optional if "MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser" is already installed before: Install it by finding and installing "msxml.msi" file in flash folder.

5A) Optional if "B2CAppClient" is already installed before: Internet Must be ON and Right-Click on B2CAppSetup.exe and Run As Administrator. If not installed before, it will download a setup file, will install it and open "LGMOBILE SUPPORT TOOL" box as shown below. Without doing anything just close this box because we will install latest LG Universal Android driver manually in next step.

5B) Optional if "LG USB Driver" is already installed before: Install latest "LG USB Driver (Download 3.8.1 here)" (Ver 3.7.2) Remember your Phone is not connected yet.

NOW YOU ARE ALL SET AND READY TO FLASH

6) Never installed JellyBean before and with Locked Bootloader? Then Connect Phone in Software Upgrade Mode: Switch OFF the phone and Press VolumeUP button and insert USB cable into phone, Now phone should show SW Upgrade Mode.

Let windows load any drivers, wait until it finishes. TWO ENTRIES SHOULD APPEAR IN DEVICE MANAGER IF DRIVERS ARE PROPERLY INSTALLED, LIKE THIS SCREENSHOT or this screenshot. (ignore detected entries in following screenshot, they will be different every time)

7) Execute "UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe" with "Run As Administrator" option and in Windows Compatibility Mode with "WindowsXP SP3" (must for Win7/8) >> and Select your KDZ file. Select "3GQCT" in Type of Flash and select "EMERGENCY" for PhoneMode. Ignore all other options and press "NORMAL WEB UPGRADE TEST" at bottom. This button is very light and hard to see at first attempt.

IMPORTANT: Do not change names of the KDZ files from LG server or downloaded from my this and this page. (They should look like.... "V10G_00.kdz" or other version in same style.)

8) Now "Read Phone Information" box will open with blank information, Just press "Upgrade Start"

9) A small box at bottom-right side may appear like below, which you may "ignore" or "cancel"

10) Now "Select country and language" small box will open. Here select "Different Country" and "English" and press "OK".

11) Now actual flashing will start and PHONE UPDATE TOOL (shown below) will appear, and if your KDZ file is good flashing will end without any issue.

JUST RELAX!! SIT BACK WITH HANDS FOLDED BEHIND HEAD AND WATCH IT HAPPENING.

When it finishes full flashing and phone will start rebooting.

YOU CAN REMOVE CABLE AFTER 100%, AND FLASHING IS FINISHED!!!
Close all programs.

BOOTLOOPS? STUCK AT LG LOGO? : Dont worry!!! If you were on CM and flashed JB or vice versa or your data partition is not matching with new partitions, then your phone may get BOOTLOOPS on LG Logo.

HARD-RESET to solve it (Press VolDown, Home and Power all together) You will loose data, dont worry, before starting you took BACKUP and I am sure about it. Phone should start normally. (Click for correct method of HARDRESET)

You're done!!! Phone is FLASHED!!!

12) Remove lines we added from HOSTS file mentioned above. Do it now!!! Dont complaint later that LG KDZ download links are not working. LOLZ

IMP NOTE: This is also called OFFLINE FOTA and all your Phone Settings, DATA on internal card and external card and also the installed APPLICATIONS will remain as it is. Enjoy!!

TROUBLESHOOTING, IN CASE OF ANY ISSUES: Check following workarounds.

1. Uninstall LG Driver, RESTART PC and then REINSTALL DRIVER before connecting phone to pc.
  2. Run B2CAppSetup.exe and let it download and install LG Support Tool. After it opens just close it because it will not be needed later.
  3. After Adding lines in HOSTS file, confirm if file is saved or not and then RESTART PC to see the added lines are there or not. This is to be done after first step is done.
  4. Sometimes the downloaded file could be corrupted too. Do fresh download when your internet connection is good.
  5. "Microsoft Security Essential" (Antivirus+Firewall) falsely recognizes "C:\shttps\http.exe" as virus (false alarm) and blocks it. Either allow it to execute or Get RID of this Antivirus.

....and try again with next procedure.

Also Visit Post Number 3 for FAQ with more queries.

-------------------------------------
B) Root Rootable KDZ with OLD Bin4ry method.

Second Post (see below) ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faheem Anjum For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 07:31   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Rooting ICS ON LG OPTIMUS L9 (OLD BIN4RY METHOD) Only for ICS.
Thanks to Bin4ry who gave us this FIRST Working L9 Rooting Method.

1) Download and Flash Rootable ICS KDZ: It is known that this Root works on V10A for all L9 Models. Root works on V10C on P765. Root works on V10E on P769 (No Rom available, V10E comes from factory). Root works on V10A of P768.
At the moment Rooting does not work on higher versions of Roms, hence you will need to downgrade by flashing Rootable KDZ. Find Download Links of Rootable KDZ in this thread and please read related information carefully. This tutorial was made after testing with Indian V10C KDZ for P765.

2) Download "RootBinary.zip" (attached) and Extract to D-drive on your pc. You will find a new Folder "D:\RootBinary" and some files inside it.

3) Precautions:
___A) Select "Debugging Mode" as ON (Ticked) in Phone Settings (Developer Section)
___B) Select "Install from Unknown Sources" as ON (Ticked) in Phone Settings (Security Section)
___C) Indian version of L9 does not come with "Lookout Security Antivirus" already installed. But KDZ from other countries may have it already installed, FORCE CLOSE AND UNINSTALL it from app manager. If you cannot uninstall, at least DISABLE it. This program is known to be preventing connection and rooting of device.

4) Install Drivers "LG USB Driver (Download 3.8.1 here)" (Ver 3.7.2 here). Optional Android MTP Driver.

5) Connect Phone to PC with USB in "MTP" mode, let all drivers install for detected hardware items, then in "Charge Only" Mode, let all drivers install, then in "PTP" mode and let all drivers install, LASTLY connect in "LG SOFTWARE" Mode and let all drivers install. (confirmed by this user too)

(Installing drivers in MTP, PTP and Charge Only is necessary, it does not take too much time. Just do it. It may save your time, as your rooting process will not stop for any unknown reason at any point)

6) Keep phone in "LG SOFTWARE" Mode and wait until it is connected. Now at this moment Device Manager should show 3 entries like this. If not, flashing will not work.

7) Now Open "Command Prompt" on pc with "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" option. (Type cmd in startmenu and when "command prompt" appears, right click on it and run it as Administrator)

8) Type "D:" and Press Enter key. And then type "CD \RootBinary" at Command Prompt and enter in directory, to show "D:\RootBinary>" in command prompt where your root files are present.

9) This is optional but its good to check if your Phone is connected to PC or not. Always better to confirm it. Type following command in command prompt box "stuff\adb devices" (all lower case) and press enter. Now Command Prompt should show the line showing the Device ID of connected device. (see image)

10) Now type and enter main rooting command "RUNME" (executes RunMe.bat) and then Select 1 for Normal Mode Rooting. Now look at Phone you will be asked if you want to RESTORE DATA, press "RESTORE MY DATA" button on Phone.

11) The Phone will reboot twice automatically and that is normal, press key on computer when prompted

12) YOU WILL SEE A LINE SAYING YOUR PHONE IS ROOTED. Go and check in phone app list, if icon of "SuperSU" is present or not. If yes you are ROOTED (Now install CWM in next step).

SIMPLE TEST: When you install and open (run) AdAway, then SuperSU will stop you and ask for permission to open. VOILA!!! Thats the sign of rooted android. Its done! Enjoy

13) IMPORTANT: Above only plain rooting and does not install CWM (ClockWorkMod). Now you need to install CWM Recovery Installer by Artas182x to use CWM.

ALL SCREENSHOTS ADDED.... Please check all carefully.

PROBLEM? If Bin4ry's rooting file is not working then, you can try same by replacing with Zanakorus33's Batch file, instead of "RunMe.bat" file by Bin4ry. Thanks to Zanakorus33 and Mingkee.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faheem Anjum For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 07:32   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
-------------------------------------------
Q) Even after fresh flashing or when any experiment goes bad, you may see following DEAD ANDROID with Red Triangle and exclamation mark over its body. What to do?

Workaround A) You may think, you have just killed it, but HEY, Wait, Relax. Even I got this issue when I flashed ***** Apk for CWM and then reflashed.

FORCE SWITCH OFF: First press Power Button for 10 seconds, phone will turn off, like laptops turn off with same trick. Then restart phone and see if it starts normally. If no then you need to do hard reset as mentioned below.

HARD RESET: Remove the Battery and insert it after few seconds. And now do the 3 button HARD RESET. First press VOLUMEDOWN and HOMEbutton. Then Press Power button only for 3 seconds and release power button but dont release VolDown and Home button and KEEP BOTH PRESSING until you see a Bigger Green Standing Android and circulating Molecular structure above it. DONE! Your Android should boot now and will be back in action. ALL DATA AND APPS WILL BE WIPED, BUT HEY IT GETS ITS LIFE BACK and LIFE'S GOOD.

Workaround B) You might have issue with bootloader or CWM installation error, JUST FLASH KDZ AFRESH and you will again see above screen after finishing, Just Repeat Workaround A, hard-reset it immediately. (I had to do this at least thrice, and everytime it came back ) Thats why they call it, LG DEVICES ARE UNBRICKABLE. A completely ignored feature which wins above all.

Q)
What is KDZ? Sorry I am first time on XDA with new LG Phone.

A) Welcome to XDA, Like we install Windows XP or 7 on pc, every phone needs Operating System too to function. Phones also need this OS and its Drivers to be installed and functioning. The OS files here are generally called "FIRMWARE" or "ROM" files. The company LG bundles whole OS, Drivers and other supporting files and applications, into one single huge file and they gave it a file-extension name as "KDZ". The regular updates of OS are also released by manufacturers either via download or directly in device via 3G or WiFi which is also called FOTA (Firmware Over The Air). Here in this thread we are talking about flashing (clean install) of the KDZ on phone, which should actually be done by LG Service Centres only and not us. But well these days everyone is doing that with the help of helpful tips and apps given by experts on XDA. Hope some things are clear here.

Size of KDZ file: Generally KDZ files for LG L9 are around 480+MB to 600MB for ICS version. For Optimus 2x the KDZ file is around 300MB (GB) to 600MB (ICS). Hope this helps too.

Q)
Well, I could successfully Root my phone, but how to install CWM?

A) Working CWM 6.x by Artas182x is here. Read instructions carefully.

Q)
After installing CWM by Artas182x, how to go Recovery Mode (in CWM menu)? Could not go by pressing Power button while pressing VolumeDown. (Why LEDS on phone blink rapidly while rebooting phone?)

A) That method is wrong for CWM. The correct method is Switch On phone with single power button and release it. When LG logo appears in a moment LEDS start blinking, quickly press and release VolDown button, you will be now in CWM menu.

Q)
After Rooting on V10C, can I update to latest ROM, keeping device ROOTed?

A) Not directly by upgrading via OTA (Air). BUT YES at some extent you can do it for some models. There is a thread by me with Collection of Rooted CWM Backups for various models. Read thread carefully for details. While writing this (on 24-Feb) I am on Rooted P765V10G due to the CWM Backup sent by another user DarkFable.

Q)
How to start L9 phone in SW Upgrade Mode and connect to PC?

A) Connect USB cable to PC but do not connect to Phone. If phone is on, Switch it OFF. While Pressing VolumeUP button and insert USB cable into phone and keep pressing the button, let windows load any drivers (if required), wait until it finishes. Phone will show SW Upgrade Mode screen (SEE IMAGE) and you can release the button.

Q)
I am not able to Root my P765/P768/P769/P760? What could be wrong?

A) Everything to ROOT L9 is available in this thread, read carefully and do as instructed.
This tutorial was made after successful and easy flashing of India V10C Rom and Rooting P765 on it. You can find download link from second post above for matching V10A for your variant. You can download and flash roms released for other countries too, as most of them will have English (US) as a common language.

A user could Root P760V10A and using Voodoo, updated to [V10E on OTA] and Restored Root with V10E. Will not work with offline flash method.

Q)
Can we OverClock L9?

A) I have not tried but yes, someone already did OVERCLOCKED L9 to 1.3GHz here. ICS Kernel 3.0.21 Modules Overclock and more - Page 11 - xda-developers

Q)
Where can I find official KDZ ROM for flashing for my device?

A) You can visit my OFFICIAL ROM LINKER page , enter your IMEI and find your own latest ROM available to Download. Works for any LG Android SmartPhone. Or you can visit this page for old Official KDZ for any device any country.

Q)
What if I HARDBRICK my phone and it never recover back?

A) According to this post, one of our L9 expert artas182x who says, "For now our L9 is unbrickable, because we haven't got access to recovery.img and boot.img and we can try many methods to port CM9 or CM10 without hard brick." And that is fact, so lets relax at the moment.

Q)
How to extract bootloader (boot.img) and recovery (recovery.img )_from any phone or KDZ?

A) There is very good procedure explained here by AngryWolf80. Please read and click THANKS button for him.
EDIT: Worked perfect on PC with ADB SHELL. (Hint: Give "su" command first)

Q)
How to Run As Administrator? Where we find this command?

A) Please Google it. (trust me someone asked me this recently, well good news, not on xda )

Q) How to start Service Menu (Hidden Menu) on L9?

A)
To use Service Menu or Hidden Menu type 3845#*760# and call you will get Service Menu. This example is for 760, but you can enter 765 for P765 and so on. Dont actually mess with options as these are serious commands used by qualified service center engineers. Some options are easy to understand but most are not. So be careful and don't say I did not warn you if you lose network permanently.

Q) How to use DLNA of L9? (How to use L9 as Media Storage Device)?

A) I created one more Tutorial for DLNA connection of L9, here.

Hope this helps.

Other workarounds
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faheem Anjum For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 13:22   #4 (permalink)

Member: 1747764
Thanks Meter: 0
i need help lg-p769 hang on lg logo, can any body help this tips, my hand set is hang on lg logo , which box is supported ? i am try it for hard reset, but no result its hang on , how can i solved it
??????
Old 03-01-2014, 05:33   #5 (permalink)

Member: 1738168
Thanks Meter: 2
My LG F180L, in FLASH KDZ time, will prompt me to electricity shortage, but my battery is 100%. I do not know how to solve.
Old 03-27-2014, 18:43   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1596237
Sonork: DijeMuyie
Thanks Meter: 37
on downloading error

please help
Old 03-27-2014, 19:30   #7 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 82990
Thanks Meter: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DijeMuyie View Post
on downloading error

please help
i have same problem .............
Old 03-31-2014, 15:49   #8 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 279362
Sonork: 100.1594141
Thanks Meter: 500
same problem with me how to fix it plz guide me
Old 04-03-2014, 04:26   #9 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 792254
Sonork: al_jadeed
Thanks Meter: 171
how to flash lg su760 i neen free flasher and file plz help. set condition pettron lock.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:30   #10 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 992568
Sonork: kulit
Thanks Meter: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DijeMuyie View Post
on downloading error

please help

i have same error shown close hope any body can help us about this error i think this error came from our os
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36   #11 (permalink)

Member: 2136666
Sonork: zoro
Sir I need help with mod up test FAX erorr while installing kdz on lg f160l

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 07:45   #12 (permalink)

Member: 1904644
Thanks Meter: 2
I need a stock rom for LG G2 Sprint, thanks
Old 07-04-2014, 08:34   #13 (permalink)

Member: 1684967
Thanks Meter: 5
sever error . i need fix it FlashTool.
Old 10-09-2014, 14:18   #14 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1892139
Thanks Meter: 56
done with windows 7 home premium sp1..error with win xp sp3
Old 01-07-2015, 18:00   #15 (permalink)

Member: 2324301
Ahhhh You have saved my day with that hard reset thing
gues what??? it booted in freakin clockworkmod or something!!!!
(yes, i did made a backup wich i realy recommend to do!!!)
ive got my whole phone back!!!