GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Non GSM/Mobile Related Forums > Notebooks & Personal Computers

Notebooks & Personal Computers Notebook, Personal Computer - repair, disassemble guides, drivers, bios pasword, and problems with pc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 18:20   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 2835418
Thanks Meter: 3
need help with a bandwidth problem

I'm stumped, I've been having a problem with my ISP regarding Data Caps. For a long time I've been paying a lot for high speed cable internet. I have never needed cable TV or phone and this has never been a problem till now. The ISP I use has been on a campaign to force all of there users into paying for all there services. What was once unlimited data at 300 Mbps is now Up to 300 Mbps but with a Cap of 1 Gig per month. We don't watch a lot of TV show, so we subscribe to a few streaming sites. (hulu, Netflix, CBS all Access). mostly my wife and I watch hulu streamed through the a high end home built gaming computer that is hard wired from my ISP's router. My daughter and her boyfriend have another high end gaming computer that's running WiFi, and then there is my Racing Simulator which uses a very high end home built computer that is also hard wired. So over the last four days, streaming hulu in my bedroom has at times been impossible. first we started seeing that little buffer wheel, something that has never been seen in this house.

Just to back up a little, two months ago we had the same problem. Mind you, this only happens on the system in my room, we call her "BigRed" and only streaming video. After a lot of trouble shooting and calls to my ISP, and hulu support I was informed be a very kind hulu tech that my browser was being corrupted and that was preventing me from streaming. We'd clear it out, it would work, but stop after five or ten minutes. I commented to the hulu tech, "gee, I wonder if my ISP could be fouling it in an attempted to force me to sign up for cable TV'. The techs response, "you might be right". By the end of the conversation she openly confirmed that it was indeed my ISP that was fouling by browser, over and over. Well a not so nice call informing my ISP that I had proof of there doings and that streaming problem went away. Oh they continue to claim the problem is me going over this Cap of Data for which they charge me extra, If I choose to order their full bundle, internet, TV and Phone, they will lift the Cap, price about $160 extra, Or I could pay an extra $50 a month up front for my internet and they will look the other way if I happen to go over my Data Cap, non refundable even if I stay under my Cap, but it would insure trouble free video streaming. Can anyone say MOB Protection Extortion? NO! So, hear I am two months later having what I thought was the same problem with BigRed. However, two nights ago while on the phone with hulu support, I was told my browser was not corrupted. However, after repeated checking the hulu tech informed me that as far a they could tell, the problem had to be my computer, he said my bandwidth was so low that at times it was undetectable and clearly to low or slow to steam video. I checked the other systems in the house, no problem streaming at all. Fun fact, if I choose to, I could stream more than 10 HD videos on THOR my Sim System and never brake a sweat. So, what's up, After 24hrs of speed testing the systems in my home. here's what I have, Using something like, say, Xfinity Speed Test on both BigRed the system have problems and THOR my Sim System the average readings are about the same for both, Download: 298.7 Mbps / Upload: 11.89 Mbps / Latency: 11 ms. No problem, but things look very different when tested with "Speedof.me" THOR's Download: 309.9 Mbps / Upload 13.98 Mbps / Latency: 22 ms. but BigRed's Download bonces from 8.27 Mbps to as low as 2.01 Mbps / Upload: 11.02 Mbps / Latency: 21 ms. The more I tested BigRed the lower the download numbers would go. All cables have been switched at least three times. Router been reset. Now when the numbers are above say 5 Mbps I can stream kinda, its not smooth and at times buffers. A check of BigRed and she seems to be working fine. Any thoughts?

Here are the specs for both systems

BigRed system have bandwidth problems

MB: Asus Crosshair Formula V

BIOS Version: 1703

CPU: FX 4170 @ 4.2 and Water cooled

RAM: 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1600

OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on a 500 GB Hard drive

2 x 500 GB Drives Storage.

LAN Driver: up to date

Network Adapter: Intel 82583V Gigabit Network Connection

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB

Screen used: 52" Philips LCD TV

THOR my Sim System - I'll keep it simple`

MB: Asus Sabertooth X79

CPU: i7 4820K @ 4.7 and Water cooled

RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866 running at 2100

GPU: Aorus 1080 it 11GB

6TB of Storage

System will run Project CARS 2 on Steam @ 160fps across three 24" LG 144Hz Gaming Monitors