GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone 2 / iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 13:11   #196 (permalink)

Member: 1351699
Thanks Meter: 0

Happy New Year All,

I have been struggling the past two days with my 3G. I am not a noob, but I am foolish and should have waited for Dev-Team to release the 4.2.1 untethered.

First of all, my 3GS is running fine on 4.2.1 with 6.1.5 BB, untethered. I did not want to upgrade the BB but accidentaly went to 5.16, and then had to go to 6.1.5 to unluck with ultrasn0w.
I was on AT&T in the US, but now in Europe on another carrier.

Problem is with my 3G. Again got careless and the BB went to 5.15 or 5.1.6, and then could not use my carrier. Even though I ready all the warnings about going to 6.1.5, I could find no other way to get my SIM to work. Now I am on 6.1.5, which is causing all kinds of problem when I try to restore.
I read that I must use a custom ipsw, but all that I try give an error during the process. I tried to use sn0wbreeze and make my own 4.1, but it errors during the process. Others do not even start, itunes just states it is not compatible.
I am able to get Apple's 4.1 to go this way:After doing the restore, the 3G loads only to the itunes icon, but restarting it with no cable attached allows the restore to continue (That was a hard one to figure out. THANKS FOR POSTING THE SOLUTION TO THAT HERE ON THIS THREAD. I HIT IT WITH GOOGLE).
More info on this, if you get here: In order to get out of this connect to itunes after trying to restore, you have to use TinyUbrella to kick it out of recovery, then remove the cable from the PC. Then the restore continues.

After doing the restore to original 4.1 and activating with my old AT&T SIM, I am able to get to Cydia and ultrasn0w, but when reboot, it just gets stuck with the Apple logo (stayed stuck for 7 hours and did not reboot until I manualy tried. Still stays stuck every time.
I cannot get any 4.2.1 to go. I even found a custom 4.2.1 that stated it was for 3g on new 6.1.5 BB, but it errors as well.

I do not understand why I cannot load customs anymore.
Sorry this got so long. I just want to give all the info I had, so we can get this fixed and perhaps help others in my situation.

Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-03-2011, 00:28   #197 (permalink)

Hi again,
I have some more info.
I was able to get the 3g to come up on original 4.1, even after reboot. It is working fine.
However, I screwed my 3GS up by trying to install RockApp. I had bought MyWi and was trying to get that working again. However, when I installed that it prevented me from using Cydia. No packages were available to install or uninstall within Cydia. I was not able to delete any apps at all. There was no red x on them when holding down. They vibrate like it can be deleted, but not able to.
When I tried to restore, I was not able to use 4.2.1 at all on the 3GS, just like the 3G.
When I first went to 4.2.1 I was on BB 5.1.6, and upgraded to 6.1.5 (IPAD) after I was in 4.2.1. That all worked fine.
However, it seems that once on 6.1.5, only 4.1 can be used to restore (kicking out of restore with TinyUmbrella and removing the cable).
The bad thing is that I am unable to restore my contacts because my backup was done on 4.2.1 and iTunes says it is too new and cannot restore. I must come up on 4.2.1 before I can restore from my backup.
I am able to use the phone unlocked with ultrasn0w and everthing else on 4.1, so far.

Regards,
Rick
Old 01-03-2011, 21:59   #198 (permalink)

SOLVED! I am restored to 4.2.1 on BB 6.1.5 and my backup restored my data (contacts, photos, settings, etc)
I AM NOT TETHERED either. That does not seem to be the norm. All that I have read, states that there is no untethered jailbreak for BB 6.1.5 and 4.2.1

I used another 4.2.1 file and custom 4.2.1. This one has an 'a' in the file name.

iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw
and
iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a4.2.1Custom_Restore.ipsw

I found the link to these files here on gsmhosting.com. Here is the thread GSMhosting

The link to the custom file is on MegaUpload Here

I tried several different customs, but this is the only one that worked. One side note, I did not have to kick mine out of recovery. The whole process just worked smooth from 4.2.1 original to 4.2.1 custom.
One thing that is special about this version is that itunes errors when the phone comes up. Stating that itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone.
I solved that by logging into the phone with WINSCP and deleting the following file:

“/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB”

Then restarted iTunes and was able to restore my backup. YEAH!

Good luck. Hope this helps someone.

Rick
Old 01-25-2011, 22:15   #199 (permalink)

Member: 1501479
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksman View Post
open itunes
press shift and restore
point to that FW
update
in cydia click manage + source add repo666.ultrasn0w.com
install reset the phone and u are done
Hi Darksman,

I did upgrade my 3g to 4.2.1 with the iPad baseband (6.15) but as soon I noticed that was too slow I did downgrade to firmware 3.1.3. Now, I don't know what I did but i have the phone in the connect to itunes logo and when I use your custom firmware is bringing me an error 1604 (cannot be restored). Could you help me please?
Old 01-25-2011, 22:22   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick5505 View Post
SOLVED! I am restored to 4.2.1 on BB 6.1.5 and my backup restored my data (contacts, photos, settings, etc)
I AM NOT TETHERED either. That does not seem to be the norm. All that I have read, states that there is no untethered jailbreak for BB 6.1.5 and 4.2.1

I used another 4.2.1 file and custom 4.2.1. This one has an 'a' in the file name.

iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw
and
iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a4.2.1Custom_Restore.ipsw

I found the link to these files here on gsmhosting.com. Here is the thread GSMhosting

The link to the custom file is on MegaUpload Here

I tried several different customs, but this is the only one that worked. One side note, I did not have to kick mine out of recovery. The whole process just worked smooth from 4.2.1 original to 4.2.1 custom.
One thing that is special about this version is that itunes errors when the phone comes up. Stating that itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone.
I solved that by logging into the phone with WINSCP and deleting the following file:

“/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB”

Then restarted iTunes and was able to restore my backup. YEAH!

Good luck. Hope this helps someone.

Rick

Those are great news Rick. I'll try it and let you know how it was... Thanks for the info.
Old 01-25-2011, 22:30   #201 (permalink)

Rick, as soon as I try to open the file (shift+restore) it tells me that is not compatible. Is there something that I'm doing wrong?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29   #202 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 71620
Thanks Meter: 8
i have iphone 3G with 4.1 firmeware and 6.15 baseband .. when i try to restore it with the custome firmware 4.2.1 it say ERROR 1015...
so,what can i do to put it on 4.2.1 ?
thx
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46   #203 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1272541
Thanks Meter: 64
remove the error by using tiny umberella or rec boot

u do exit recovery
mode

plz dont forget to put thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 06:20   #204 (permalink)

Member: 1505633
Long time reader, first time poster.
No n00b, but somewhat not 110% with the iphoneism.

This is probably my um-****th iphone jailbreak/unlock, but somewhere somehow I ran into a problem. if ANYONE can help me, ill be forever grateful and will offer to donate or something, any help, really.

iPhone 3G, Had I believe 3.1.2 on it, unlocked and whatnot, well i got it in that condition atleast.

Just the other day I updated a 3g to iPad baseband, unlocked and went on my merry way. No problems, maybe it wasn't as early back at this one.

Today I for some reason got a frozen program during ipad basebann'n and I had to restart the process. Well, I ended up getting an error 1002 with iTunes, read a ridiculous amount of stuff, and no go.

I have been solely reading, and doing things step for step, and Im really really good at that, and usually have to fix other peoples errors where they overlook and dont read thoroughly, so please, forgive me if I somehow missed something.

I Know I sound like every new guy that runs in through these parts, but can someone again, just spare a sec.

rapid fire: iphone 3g, 6.15.00 ipad baseband. getting no wifi, no imei, no bluetooth, etc. that thing.

I tried going back to 3.1.3, fail.
tried using older version of redsnow to do it,
not sure if the baseband was 5.08 while getting into it or not,

havent gotten around to flashing custom FW with unlock, just to atleast get into cydia and see if i do have the 5.08 bootloader with fuzzyband, but thats next.

anyone awake? sorry this was so long, again, any info, im on here waiting.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:04   #205 (permalink)

Member: 1505633
Solved

This is a second post, to help anyone that may have been stuck in a situation like mine above.

I have tried FW and CFW 4.2.1, 4.1, downgrading to 3.1.3, etc.
Older redsnows, beta versions, hundreds of exit recovery's, countless really.

My issue is that I was trying to upgrade iPhone 3G to 6.15.00 baseband, and FW 4.2.1. After stuck in recovery stuff, and getting it to boot. I had..

no wifi
no bluetooth
no imei
no iccid
no modem firmware listed
phone would popup saying needed to be restored, and shut off.

ive tried everything of all youtube videos, and other forums to things posted hours ago.

In the end, the ipad baseband never sucessfuly flashes.
If you watch the pineapple screen the entire time, everytime,
The phone will reboot before it gets to the 'installing baseband[do not interrupt],

after 20 attempts, and then stopped checking that in redsnow, i just assumed it was on there. it was not.

i swear i even tried it only like this, but having redsnow setup to ONLY flash the ipad baseband, while using the original 4.2.1 FW for the redsnow ispw, and while already having the phone booting into 4.2.1, without the features.

do it and watch the screen of the iphone until you see it say flashing firmware, if it still doesnt have wifi and the rest after that, I dont know what to say.

-flash ipad baseband from redsnow until you see it happen onscreen on the iphone.-

Last edited by docsparks; 01-31-2011 at 07:12.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:06   #206 (permalink)

Member: 584619
hi--This post is as if going nowhere..Different people are saying different things and i think the problems first should be clarified-

My problem is
1.I have already upgraded to 4.2.1 with baseband 6.15-
2.I had an issue with cydia which forced the system to restart in safemode-and it always goes in safemode no matter what
3.To solve this i downgraded this firmware to 4.1 with baseband 6.15 successfully

I want to know how to upgrade to firmware 4.2.1 again-Anyone has done it?
Old 02-12-2011, 14:11   #207 (permalink)

Member: 1251289
Thanks Meter: 2
yes BOSS UR HEAD IS THERE
Old 02-12-2011, 14:23   #208 (permalink)

Member: 1515243
gh

waiting 3gs thanx alot i will be post result soon
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02   #209 (permalink)

Member: 1515788
Hi all,

I have a 3G iphone and I can't break it with Redsn0w (GreenPois0n works) but I need to get to the newer baseband to unlock the carrier. I get stuck at the Waiting to reboot on a black screen with the iphone. ANy ideas ? am i donig something wrong ?

RedSn0w - _win_0.9.6rc8
Restore File: iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore
PC: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (did the run as admin and XP sp 2 mode) tried one core (quad machine)
Tried on a single core XP box (started Telnet, Terminal services and Messenger)

Need to give this to someone so they can use any SIM, don't care about anything else, just the carrier

Steve
Old 02-19-2011, 02:21   #210 (permalink)

Member: 1519749
Okay, I have an iphone 3g bb 6.15 i sm stuck in recovery mode, i tried darkmans cf, and im still get error 1015... help!!!!