GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Android based Phones / Tablets > Android Tablets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2853834
Thanks Meter: 0
Couple ???s about A33 based 7 in tablet and firmware choices.

This forum seems to be where all things related to AllWinner A33 devices lead to....

Bought an Azpen A743 7 inch tablet a few weeks ago. Before I bought it I read they were quick to reply/help when contacted. Figured for less than $20 it was worth the money just for a device to check the weather and stream music. I have sent several emails requesting the Android 5 firmware with no replies (box said it came with 5.1.1 but came with 6). I have tried calling but no one returns a call. Shocking....

Problem 1: No matter what weather widget I use, it will not update the weather. I have spent many hours trying everything I can think of, plus other suggestions from internet searches. At first neither the time or weather would update. After turning off all battery optimizations and several other tweaks, the time started updating on the widgets, but not the weather. Cleared cache, dissabled/re-enabled location, reset back to factory fresh, still won't update. No matter what weather app I use, won't update the widget. I could almost tolerate the tablet if the weather widget would update itself. Any suggestions?

Problem 2: Is there a way to make an image of the firmware that is currently on the device so I can try other firmware that is not a 100% match? Everything I've read says NO. I have managed to adb pull the system folder, plus a majority of the other Dirs, but would feel better having a backup of the stock firmware that is currently on the device (since Azpen won't respond with any firmware requests).

Problem 3: I'm not a fan of Android 6 on such a lackluster device. Bought it thinking it was Android 5. I would much prefer rolling back to 5 or 4. But since I can't get the needed firmware from Azpen, I'm like everyone else and looking for firmware.
Specs:
Screen 7 inches
Pixels 1024 x 600
Storage 8 GB
Ram 1 GB
CPU Allwinner A33, 1.3 GHz Quad-Core
board lists the firmware as AL-A33-86v-v1.0 (07-2017.03.18)
I've only come across that firmware on baidu and firmware1 ( can't post link)
Using Dragonface to poke around, that firmware has 800x600 as well as some other differences. The closest firmware I've found is for an Irulu tablet (can't post link) "custom firmware image for generic allwinner a33 devices. This firmware is prerooted and contains team win recovery project. This has been tested on the irulu expro x7"
Again, using Dragonface to poke around, the build prop and other specs are almost identical to the Azpen tablet.
Main question is, if I flash a firmware and it doesn't work, can I reboot into recovery and get back the stock Azpen Android 6 that the tablet shipped with by choosing factory reset?
If I flash the Irulu modded firmware with a custom recovery, would I still be able to return to the stock Azpen since Irulu comes with TWRP custom recovery? I'm thinking if it doesn't work, I'd be screwed if the TWRP recovery doesn't work, I'd be left without a working recovery to reload stock Azpen. Or perhaps use LiveSuit and uncheck the recovery partition to see if the firmware works????.... Everything I've read said the TWRP for A33 needs a usb mouse to work.
Otherwise I'm just going to try every firmware I can find with 1024x600 and same touchscreen.
I really just need the screen/touch, audio, and wifi to work. Don't care about camera or anything else.
Thanks for any input or help anyone is able to offer.