GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus / iPhone 6S / iPhone 6S Plus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 13:15   #1 (permalink)
Major Poster

Member: 1234862
Thanks Meter: 8
Any way to turn on wifi or cell data on disabled iphone 6?

Hi,
I have this iphone 6 that has been collecting dust for over a year, still on 9.3.4 or 9.3.5 (definitely not 10) and totally forgot password. Tried my best to remember it but to no avail and now it's locked.
The tricky part is that both wifi and cell data were turned off before storing it and I definitely don't want to restore it using 12.4 or whatever the last signed Apple ipsw is now.

Any chance to just turn on wifi or cell data using a code or other method in order to start a wipe from icloud? Thanks in advance for your help?
Old 01-18-2020, 15:10   #2 (permalink)
Major Poster

Made a small progress by using this method:

Quote:
  1. Quit iTunes
  2. Locate your hosts file, in Mac OS X it is located at /etc/hosts and in Windows it is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  3. Open the hosts file with Administrator privileges
  4. Add the following lines to the very bottom of the hosts file and save the change: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
  5. Connect your iPhone to the computer
  6. Launch iTunes
  7. Put the iPhone/iPad/iPod into DFU mode by turning the phone off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes tells you that the device is now in recover mode
  8. Use the iTunes Restore feature as usual with the iOS device
You may need to flush your DNS cache for the change to take effect, though usually just quitting and relaunching iTunes is sufficient to get the app to recognize the change.
Once your iOS update is finished, go back to the hosts file and remove the “74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com” line again so that iTunes can properly update as usual. This is an essential step otherwise you may encounter future errors when trying to update or install iOS versions.

The problem is that now I'm getting error 3004 (which normally is unable to connect to server) and cannot get past it.

Probably the server at 74.208.105.171 no longer works or something like that. If someone knows the correct address please share

Keep in mind I'm not looking to jailbreak it or downgrade or anything fancy, just to install the same (very old) firmware as the one in the phone.

Last edited by Gerula; 01-18-2020 at 15:17.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:23   #3 (permalink)
Major Poster

OK, apparently there's no way to install the same firmware (ipsw file) as the one on the iphone using itunes, as the file is no longer signed by apple for quite a while.
Therefore the only solution to stay on the same IOS (9.3.4) is to somehow connect the iphone to internet so it can receive the wipe command sent from "find my iphhone".

Does anyone knows of a method that doesn't involve a Mac? (I don't have one)